The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Do I do the paperwork online or go to my LGS?
I tokd ny Grandson when he builds his I want to build one at the same time.
We will be building .223 and getting conversion kits plus suppressors.

Somebody told me where to get the suppressor but I forgot where.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
Do I do the paperwork online or go to my LGS?
I tokd ny Grandson when he builds his I want to build one at the same time.
We will be building .223 and getting conversion kits plus suppressors.

Somebody told me where to get the suppressor but I forgot where.
I would go directly to the store that you are going to purchase the suppressors from, they should walk you through all the filing.

If you are talking about building ARs from 80% lowers, your grandson can not legally do the milling work on yours. You have to do it.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The only problem that I can see besides fouling with these conversions is the twist rate. The twist rate at anywhere between 1:7 and 1:9 is a bit quick for a 40 grain .22 LR round. It would probably do great with the longer 60 grain Aguilas. I've heard some say that it shoots fine for a plinker with standard ammo. I think @zant gets good results. It probably does as long as you're not expecting super accuracy. The standard M&P 15-22 AR clone that S&W makes has a 1:15 twist rate barrel. That's a much slower and maybe more appropriate rifling for the short 40 grainers that we most commonly shoot in .22 LR. That's just my opinion. I've contemplated the conversion on one of my safe dwelling basic ARs and I decided against it for that reason.
When you slow down the bullet it is about the same as changing the twist to a longer/slower one. Its the time in the bore. Thats why you have to load slower twist barrles to near max loads before they reach accuracy expectations. The fps will be less with the faster twist but not enough to matter - if you want to use a can on it that may help anyway so you could maybe use std vel ammo instead of sub and still be below sonic.

I would think it would be better to use a std reciever and upper and buy a LR conversion as opposed to trying to convert a LR version over for 223 safety wise. The barrel wouldnt be strong enough for HP rounds on a plastic LR mdl - some have a plastic barrel with a liner in it vs all steel or Al with chrome liner.

·
Super Moderator
44,133 Posts
Ted, when you go to the store that sells suppressors, they will do the paperwork for you. You will have to pay for the suppressor and for the $200 tax stamp. The store has to put the serial number for the suppressor you just bought on the paperwork. They will put it aside until the government approves it, then you will receive that particular suppressor. Mine only took five months, but that was quite a few years ago.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
For a .22-go Form1 and make your own...waiting 6-12 months for your paid for property is stupid....If you have a drill press with stable runout-it's literally a 1hr job AFTER receiving Tax Stamp--Form1 wait is normally 10-15days.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
For a .22-go Form1 and make your own...waiting 6-12 months for your paid for property is stupid....If you have a drill press with stable runout-it's literally a 1hr job AFTER receiving Tax Stamp--Form1 wait is normally 10-15days.
Are you referring to the "fuel filters" that you can get from Mao's Big Rock Candy Mountain?

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Someone mentioned on here a while back a company that would send the suppressor to your house.
I don't have a clue except what yall have told me.

·
Super Moderator
44,133 Posts
Someone mentioned on here a while back a company that would send the suppressor to your house.
There is a thread running around somewhere about the "mail order" suppressor. I don't seem to be able to find it right now. I will continue to look and if I find it, I will post a link to that thread.

When the thread was "alive", I actually called the company that was mentioned and spoke with them about one for a .45, the thread size needed, the mailing of the suppressor, and other questions.

They have the same rules, you pay for the suppressor and the tax, they do the paperwork for you, they put the serial number of "your" suppressor on the application and send it in. Then they put the suppressor in a safe somewhere and when the government approves the Form 4, the company send you the serial numbered suppressor you bought months before.

·
Super Moderator
44,133 Posts
All right, I found it, the thread doesn't say a whole lot, but does mention the name of the company. At that time, I looked up the company and sent them a question on their "contact" page and was hounded with emails and phone calls (that my phone won't accept) until I called them back and asked my questions and told them "don't call me, I'll call you".

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
All right, I found it, the thread doesn't say a whole lot, but does mention the name of the company. At that time, I looked up the company and sent them a question on their "contact" page and was hounded with emails and phone calls (that my phone won't accept) until I called them back and asked my questions and told them "don't call me, I'll call you".
I hate they bugged you but Thank You.

All right, I looked them up and sent their website to my messenger, I won't lose it now.
Thank You for your help.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
No,sounds like a scam or a product that won't work properly.
It's an aluminum tube that comes with one end cap drilled and tapped for 1/2"-28 threads, a short spacer, cones that are center marked for drilling and an end cap that is center marked for drilling. The number of cones depends on the length of the body.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It's an aluminum tube that comes with one end cap drilled and tapped for 1/2"-28 threads, a short spacer, cones that are center marked for drilling and an end cap that is center marked for drilling. The number of cones depends on the length of the body.
Okay,that's a solvent trap kit---do the paperwork,pay 200$,get Tax Stamp-drill,baby,drill....

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, the Grandson got an 80% lower, he said an 80% lower can be sent to his address. A finished must be sent to a ffl. He is going to learn on his and instruct me on mine when I get it. He said he must mill for trigger and drill trigger pin holes. He said it's a lot cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
Well, the Grandson got an 80% lower, he said an 80% lower can be sent to his address. A finished must be sent to a ffl. He is going to learn on his and instruct me on mine when I get it. He said he must mill for trigger and drill trigger pin holes. He said it's a lot cheaper.
Yes, an 80% lower can be sent directly to you. Under ATF rules, it's still just a hunk of aluminum

21 - 40 of 74 Posts