The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, it used to be a lot cheaper, anyway....

Nowadays, it’s mainly just a lot more down-low. A human can get a “stripped”, serialised lower for as little as $50, on sale. About $30 to $100 more for the 80% - depending on whether forged or billet, finish, intended cartridge, and the company you’re buying from.

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok, Grandson got his lower, milled it perfect.
But, drilled the trigger hole off, trigger won't work.
Is there an easy solution to fix this without starting over???

He has schematics but it doesn't show a reference point to measure from.
If someone has a schematic, please send it to me.

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
He said he couldn't afford the jig.
He is gonna tig the holes and re drill till he gets it right.
He ordered another lower.
This one is gonna be his learning platform. Not to be used as a weapon.
I asked why he didn't order one done, he said he wants to build it himself, pride I guess.
He did the mill work great.

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
He downloaded and 3D printed a jig, he thinks it slipped.

Here is his mill he bought for $600.00. The shop he bought it from was using it every day, they upgraded so he bought it.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

He does have a sand blaster cabinet from Harbor Freight.

I would not through-drill holes, whether using a jig or laying-out your holes. Because Drill Deflection.

After Tig and redrill, smooth the surface, a bit of sandblasting, Cerakote, and you’ll never know it happened.

Edit: Whoopsie! Ima Stupid - almost forgot the link!

Oops.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
Ok, Grandson got his lower, milled it perfect.
But, drilled the trigger hole off, trigger won't work.
Is there an easy solution to fix this without starting over???
Was it the trigger hole, or the trigger pin holes?

Reactions: tedwitt

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Was it the trigger hole, or the trigger pin holes?
He figured out it was the hammer pin hole.

OK, He figured it out, tig welded and refinished it, redrilled it, it was tge hammer.
He used the specs from Brother Blumeanie, Thank You very much.
This one will become his .22, the next lower will be his big gun.

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Are you referring to the "fuel filters" that you can get from Mao's Big Rock Candy Mountain?
Be very careful about this. There are some real looney tunes on Gun Forums that will describe how you can cheaply make your own suppressor or buy a device that "with a little machining" will give you a silencer without bothering with the "paperwork." Good way to eat institutional food and meet some really exciting people in a controlled environment.

·
Super Moderator
30,079 Posts
Be very careful about this. There are some real looney tunes on Gun Forums that will describe how you can cheaply make your own suppressor or buy a device that "with a little machining" will give you a silencer without bothering with the "paperwork." Good way to eat institutional food and meet some really exciting people in a controlled environment.
And has been stated several times, YOU MUST DO THE PAPERWORK FIRST. Once you have the tax stamp, you can build a suppresor for under $40. All legal.

Rectangle Cylinder Auto part Font Metal

None of the cones nor the one end cap is drilled. Perfectly legal to own as it is. And under $20.

·
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
And has been stated several times, YOU MUST DO THE PAPERWORK FIRST. Once you have the tax stamp, you can build a suppresor for under $40. All legal.

View attachment 262779

None of the cones nor the one end cap is drilled. Perfectly legal to own as it is. And under $20.
You can buy a kit to turn a Mag Lite into a suppressor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK, He figured it out, tig welded and refinished it, redrilled it, it was tge hammer.
He used the specs from Brother Blumeanie, Thank You very much.
This one will become his .22, the next lower will be his big gun.

All help appreciated.
I didn’t write the spec - merely pointed you in the proper direction. Think nothing of it - glad I could do what little bit I could.

My only suggestion is, do the opposite of what that print says - Mill the Pocket first, bore the pin and selector holes afterward. I have had much better results that way.

And drill from each side, do not “through bore” the holes, except after drilling the second selector hole - a careful pass through the opposite-side hole will help ensure concentric alignment.

I also like using a “high twist” or “fast spiral” 5/32 circuit board drill for the pin holes - it won’t be as round as a straight 6-flute reamer, but it’s a round-ER hole.

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
10,213 Posts
He can change the bolt carrier group then be able to shoot 22lr. the problem with this is that 22 is really dirty ammo and will make the gun barrel blacker than it would ever be shooting 223. it can also plug up the gas tube
The AF was using 22 cal converted AR's for basic training back in the day. I remember having a lot of misfires, so yeah, dirty ammo. Besides, a complete. 22 AR can be had for not much more than the cost of the conversion kit.

·
Registered
88 Posts

View attachment 262779

Plus $200.00.....

It probably won’t last very long in front of anything except a .22lr - but you gets what you pays for.

I REITERATE what @howlnmad says - DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR STAMP IN HAND!

Laws requiring a muffler on your car, yet outlawing one on your much-noisier firearm, are Moronic. But until they are Repealed, follow them. Lest ye get thy peepee whacked by Uncle Joe and the Alphabet-Agents.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The AF was using 22 cal converted AR's for basic training back in the day. I remember having a lot of misfires, so yeah, dirty ammo. Besides, a complete. 22 AR can be had for not much more than the cost of the conversion kit.
Cabela’s/Bass Pro has the S&W .22 AR-15 for about $490, I looked at one yesterday. It’s all plastic everything but the barrel and bolt.

PSA has dedicated.22 complete uppers for $350 to $425, depending upon barrel length.

PSA also just ran the CMMG .22 conversion kit for $170 with three mags, like just last week.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts