Dumb things with a gun ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by PRR1957, Jan 11, 2017.

1. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I would like to hear about some of the dumb things you all have done with a gun. That if your brave enough to admit it. Or seen some else do something dumb.

I'll lead off with;

#1 Shooting my a newly purchased Walther P22 at the indoor range of the store I bought it from. I was sitting for the sight in then stood up for some offhand shooting. This put me in a different position so as when I fired that first shot the HOT spent case bounced off the divider and landed in my shoe with no socks. I still have the burn scar 7 months later.

Lesson learned. Ware socks when shooting.

#2 Shooting a T/C Contender with a 14" 45/70 barrel (The Ouch Mister). At first I was shooting 300 gr. bullets from it then switched to a load with 405 gr. bullets. With the first shot with the 405's the gun recoiled back and the scope soundly smacked me in the side of my head.

Lesson learned. Duck ?

#3 Shooting with some friends in the winter. One of them brought his new Remington 700 in 7MM Rem. Mag. with the hard plastic butt plate. We all took a turn shooting it standing off hand. I was wearing a Nylon down filed coat over a Nylon down filed vest and when I shot the gun it recoiled and slid on all the layers of Nylon and scope eye piece hit my eye classes which cut my right eye brow.

Lesson learned. Don't do dumb things in front of friends. They'll talk about decades later at deer camp.

#4 Shooting with two friends with a Ruger Std. Auto Mk II with a scope mounted on it. We were shooting rapid fire and the one who was a novice at shooting and was going to try and out do us by shooting off the trunk lid of his wife's car not realizing that he shot the trunk lid 10 times.

Lesson learned. Know how to lie convincingly that you drove through the bad part of town when the wife asks, "WT* happened to my car ?"

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Plunked some toasty '06 brass down the neck of my shirt while competing with a Garand back in the '70s. Never managed to land one in my boot, but did once watch a guy do something along those lines with a red hot blob of weld slag.

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The dumbest thing that has happened to me was when I was 18. I took my dads 30-30(a marlin 336 I believe) and his truck to go hunting. It was really cold so I decided to load the gun in the truck before I got out. So, I get it all loaded up, chamber a round and proceed to lower the hammer. Well, since I have rather big hands, my thumb got stuck between the hammer and scope. I thought I had the hammer down far enough to slide my thumb out without anything happening. I was wrong. Really, really wrong. Next thing I hear is BOOM and silence. I couldn't hear anything for about 3 days. The bullet went through the floor board, through the bell housing of the transmission and put a huge dent in the pressure plate. That was the last time I've touched a lever action..........until Monday.

4. Rothhammer1

Rothhammer1 Well-Known Member

5. Rothhammer1

That was the last time I've touched a lever action..........until Monday.[/QUOTE]

Riflrman.jpg Rifleman 2.jpg

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Think I was 19, maybe. Hunting with a friend. Taking a break, had my shotgun inside the car, muzzle on the floorboard. Opened the door, reached in and pulled the gun out by the triggers. Discovered, once it was out, that not only was it loaded, the safety was off.

I guess my fingers were too high on the triggers (right up next to the receiver) to have enough leverage for the eight pound weight of the gun to pull them, so did NOT shoot a hole in the floor.

Same gun, different time. Shot a pine lizard on a tree.

[​IMG]

Good camouflage on a pine tree.

[​IMG]

Anywho. Destroyed the lizard, but one pellet glanced off the round tree trunk and went in the radiator of my car, which was parked close by.

7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

THE dumb thing I did was.
    I went out hunting and decided to walk around to see what was up instead of going to the stand.
    I found a group of 8 tall pines in a circle that made a great ground blind. I stepped inside of them and leaned back on one and stood there for a while.
    A doe came buy and I lifted up my .50 and did not stick the muzzle outside of the ring of trees.
    Took the shot and thought I blew out my ear drums.
    I almost dropped the gun from the pain of my ears.
    It took me 5-10 min of trying to get it together before I even looked for the doe.
    She was down 5 yards from where I stood.
    It took me 3 days before I could hear right. I swear I still hear ringing in the ears from that shot.
    Mike

Broot, 68c15, firefighter1635 and 9 others like this.
  8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I decided one morning that I was going to shoot a crow that was in the back yard. I tried to shoot it with a scoped .22 rifle. I fired, and the crow flew off. I was puzzled as to why I had missed such an easy shot. About an hour later I was out cutting the grass, and found some glass on the ground next to the utility pole in the back yard. That's when I discovered that I had missed the crow because the bullet had hit the glass on the electric meter! Couldn't see the clear glass in the scope Had to call the electric Co, and get them to bring a new meter!

9. Rothhammer1

one pellet glanced off the round tree trunk and went in the radiator of my car, which was parked close by.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered while as there are often reports of law enforcement officers shooting at a fleeing suspect's automobile tires at a roadblock, one seldom hears of them shooting the radiator.

I would think a stolen car running hot and hard with a highly revved engine and a few small holes shot through it's radiator wouldn't get far before said engine seizes completely. Even less after a shotgun slug or two.

As suspect auto approaches roadblock at speed, take a nice, slow aim at radiator, let'er rip.

10. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I forgot these last two.

#5 Camping with a friend up north and one morning we thought we would start off the day with some shooting before we left are camping spot. I brought along some old bowling pins to shoot at and taking a shot with my friends Rem. 870 12 ga. Tack gun with slugs, I shot at one of the pins at about 25 yds. and immediately felt a sting on my right elbow. The plastic wad from the round ricocheted off of the pin and came back to me and drew blood.

Lesson learned. Stand back farther.

#6 Last but not least. Went shooting after work out on the back 20 with my boss/friend and some of the other employees with two visiting local police officers. A M82 Barrett was the attraction of the day and every one was taking turns at it. Someone called a cease fire but apparently this dumb a**ed kid who was still behind the gun decided to shoot one more round just we all had taken are hearing protection off. At only 10 feet away from the gun with the rear ward facing box muzzle brake, the Earth split open and so did my right ear. Every ones ears rang for two days. My right ear is still ringing 10 years later.

Lesson learned. Don't let a novice know it all kid behind a gun.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Many years back a bunch of us at a party were shooting at a number of things. A buddy of mine was a millwright in a plastic factory and had a large chunk of plastic from one of the extruders that he called dinosaur (feces). We started shooting at it with .22s and the bullets could be heard hitting the treetops behind us, so that ended real quick. Out came the pistols, a hot .44 mag load would go into the dinosaur poo up to the base of the bullet, a hot .357 hot quite so deep.
    Another buddy got his 12 gauge shotgun out and put a slug in it, and leveled down on it and pulled the trigger. In a split second he yelled, threw his gun down and yanked his pants down also. About two inches from his "junk" a huge blood blister started forming and on the ground in front of him was the remnants of the deer slug.

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd been shooting steel plate knockdowns with a variety of pistols, from about fifty feet. They were all down but one, so I went out to reset them. Had a 32HE in my hand, with my loads (which are a tad hotter than factory).

I was about five feet away from the table and thought "screw it", and shot that last plate.

Then I dug the bullet out of my arm.

Ricochets hurt.

13. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

The absolute stupidest thing I've done with a gun is sale one I should've kept!!!!!

Broot, TyeDye1971, zkovach and 8 others like this.
  14. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA
    Last year shortly after getting my AR15 I was cleaning it after a day of shooting. I had not started reloading yet so I was just cleaning it on my bed on a mat, as was my practice. I finished cleaning it, dry fired on a piece of spent brass, and then loaded it. As I was setting it in its place beside my bed (we have a coyote problem so it stays close by), for whatever reason it slipped in my hand and I somehow caught it by the trigger, BANG, it went off and shot a hole in my bed. Luckily I had some frangible varmint bullets in it at the time so it blew apart inside the mattress. The muzzle blast burned my leg but not too bad, just a little too close to the family jewels...... Some how I forgot to put the safety back on I guess.

15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I guess that I've been lucky. The dumbest thing that I can think of resulted in having to go fetch the ramrod of my muzzle loader.

Broot, TyeDye1971, tedwitt and 13 others like this.