Dumb things with a gun ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by PRR1957, Jan 11, 2017.

1. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA
    I have done this too.... But it was on purpose. Still not real smart.

2. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

At age 33, I was slipping a small Baretta .22 pistol into my sweat pants after plinking, assuming I had an empty weapon based on shots counted, but I didn't count that PLUS 1 I had in the chamber. So in reality I had one more in the chamber left. And on top of that, it was in fire position with one round chambered. Put the pistol in my right pocket.

As I was digging for some change at the 7-11 I felt the .22 pistol sliding down my sweat pants leg, apparently a hole in the sweat pants opened up with the weight and the pistol started down my leg to the elastic banding on the bottom, I left it there because I was next in line to pay (didn't want to pull out a pistol in the store!) and then hobble legged it back to my car.

When I pulled the pistol out of the bottom of my sweat pants leg bottom (thank god there was elastic) I noticed I had the safety OFF. Hmmm, checked the chamber and a live bullet ejected out.

JEEBUS! Now I clear 3 times when I finish shooting semi-autos.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I can think of two things that were totally stupid.

First the simplest (shortest one to describe) - sold a gun that was my "car door pocket gun" and right before delivery I ejected the round in the chamber. I thought I had dropped the magazine and of course, when I ejected the round another one chambered. Luckily the guy sold it too was smart enough to check the chamber before anything else. I felt like a fool!!

Second one (a lot longer) - Back in the early 70's, I worked in the Outpatient Clinic at the VA Hospital in Nashville, TN. I got to be pretty friendly with a lot of the patients and one day one a patient handed me a small pistol and told me it was a gift. Without thinking about it, I stuck it in my left front pocket, thanked him and went back to work. I was working on getting the records pulled and the blood work requests worked up for the next day. As I was sitting at a desk, the pistol kept poking me in the belly. I stuck my hand in my pocket and turned it around so the barrel was out of my belly and the pistol was lower on my leg. A short time later (no more than 10 minutes) i leaned over to pick up something that was way on the corner of the desk. When I did my leg pressed against the inside of the desk and "BANG" the gun went off. I do not know what caused it to fire but it did.

I almost had a spontaneous bowel movement knowing that just minutes before the barrel had been sticking in my belly. I do not know where the bullet went because I searched the desk and area for several days after that. I do know that it left a small crease down my left leg and tore a small hole in my pants. I went out to where the dumpsters were and tore the thing apart and threw the pieces into two different dumpsters.

Believe me when I say I always check any gun now to see if it is loaded or not. If I see you check a gun before you hand it to me, I check it anyway. Once in a lifetime is enough for me. If you attempt to hand me a Bernardelli, I will not take it.

4. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

How far down range was it?

5. Bama1022

Bama1022 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

1950's dad had taken my 12 year old brother rabbit hunting . He looked back and Dumb Bubba had his shotgun barrel shoved down in the mud using it for a walking stick

6. tuckerd1

I had an old jeep and I built a homemade roof out of galvanized sheet metal. It flexed pretty easy. So it rattled quite a bit. I also had a 44 Automag. I had just loaded some new test loads and wanted to function test them in the Automag. Automag had to be loaded very hot to function well. I rode down the road to secluded place, chambered a round from a full magazine. Then I emptied that mag pointing the pistol over the passenger seat still under the roof.

It hurt like crazy! Dang roof contained the muzzle blast and it bounced around like I was in a drum! And as others have said above it was at least 3 days before the ringing quit.

7. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Some time ago I was cleaning my old marlin .22LR I pulled the bolt back 3 or 4 times then went on to take the stock off to clean her up. While the stock was off I tripped the trigger mechanism and BANG... Through a plastic 3 drawer thingy, my closet door and lodged it in the wall directly behind where my (now) wife was sitting reading... Now I check chamber's always. I always carry chambered, but I always check empty before I clean them. And I clean them outside.

8. tuckerd1

Was riding ATV's with a friend. He had a Win 94 in a leather scabbard on the rear rack. He went to pull the rifle out of the scabbard and the hammer hit the rack and it fired. Scared the **** out of us! We just stood there with dumb looks on our faces. We were lucky I was standing at the front of his ATV when it happened.

9. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Back in the late 60's when i 1st got my drivers licence. I decided go take my dad's pickup down a old logging road to hunt grouse. I had my 16 ga pump shotgun with me. So the 1st grouse i saw was sitting next to the road,so i stopped got out and soon as i was almost out it took off. Drove a little further and there was another one. This time i decided to shoot from inside the truck, NOT GOOD for the hearing. I got him but couldn't hear so good after that!:eek:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

About 20-25 yards.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The dumbest thing that I ever saw someone else do was last year. My buddy (old next door neighbor) and I went to the range. I had stopped by his house and picked him up. After the range trip, I took him home and as we were in the kitchen having a glass of iced tea, I mentioned that I would like to see the pistol he had on his side. He pulled it out of the holster, jacked the round out of the chamber, pointed the pistol down at the floor, pulled the trigger (to show me it was empty), and shot a hole in his floor. He did the exact thing I did in my first story in my first post, for to drop the magazine.

12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I like the dumb things folks do in gun shops.

Shop #1. Clerk was bragging on his carry gun - Norinco 1911. Customer asked to see it. Clerk cleared it, customer fingerbanged it then gave it back, clerk reloaded it then set it on the shelf behind the counter instead of reholstering.

Shop owner picked it up, thinking it was still empty. Did not check to make sure the evil bullet faries had not been at work. Pointed it at the floor, pulled the trigger, shot the tip of his left index finger off.

Shop #2. Beer was involved. After closing owner was doing inventory. Did every gun the same. Removed from case, cleared it, compared SN to list, dry fired it to drop hammer, and put back in case.

One was missing. Searched everywhere. Could not find it. Not good. Then the light bulb flashes. THAT'S the one he was wearing.

Drew gun, checked SN, and like he'd been doing with every other gun for the last hour and a half, PULLED THE TRIGGER.

Blowed a hole in his display case.

13. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dumbest thing I've ever done with a gun? There are so many to choose from.....kidding. The most recent was on a Taurus 38spl I bought. The gun was showing signs of rust and I knew I had to take it all apart to remove that evil brown stuff. Went online and found the extractor rod had reverse threads. So I'm turning and turning and nothing seems to be moving. Then after I adjusted for more leverage something moved. Yep, darn thing snapped in two. Turns out the threads were standard and not reversed. Now I have a useless pistol as the threads cannot be removed from the piece the extractor rod fits through. bummer.

Another one quick one. I was shooting my new to me Mosin M44 and decided to use the roof of my car as a resting bench. Darn that thing had a heck of a muzzle flash! Singed the top of the car and I consider myself lucky. The car had a glass sunroof that I'm certain would have shattered if I'd of been a couple inches further to my right.

14. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is this what Catholic confession is like?
    Could we get a priest in this thread to bless us all that we lived? :)

15. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Recite two Are Father's, three Hail Mary's, and ten 2ND. Amendments. Now go and shoot well my son.