The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new, jammed every magazine until I reached the 500. Sent it back, still experienced failure to feed jams. Sent it back again, still failure to feed jams. However, on second return it did fire two magazines back to back with no hang ups (factory ammo). I then tried some reloads....and failure to feed again.

So, could this be the grain weight is to light? Is that a common culprit for a failure to feed issues?

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
What is a DW Kodiak?

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
Ahhhh...ok. Thank you sir! Only Kodiak I am familiar with is the DR Pedersoli used to make....maybe they still do. I knew that wasn't what he was talking about.

Reactions: ysacres

·
Registered
918 Posts
Firstly explain the FtF better, FtF can still mean a lot of things. Hanging up on the feed ramp, not inserting all the way, extractor not getting behind the round etc.
Uploading a picture will definitely help.

If it's the reloads it can be either or all of this: Too long/short OAL, Not enough crimp (removing the bell for the wisecracks ;) ), not enough powder, wrong powder/bullet and that's only what I can come up with right away.
What are you reloading with?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange, I suppose the reloads for this gun are not powerful enough to operate correctly. The same bullets work fine in my other 10mm guns. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
I had the same type of problems with a CZ-50 (.32 ACP). That thing would shoot great with factory ammo but the minute I tried my reloads, it would jam every round or two, even if they did work with my other .32 ACP pistol! It just wasn't powerful enough to cycle that heavier slide. After trying some different powders, I finally found the proper type of powder and amount, my jams went away

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had my series 70 stovepipe all the time with my reloads done with Lee dies on a single stage. As soon as I switched to a Dillon, the problems were gone. It must have fixed one of the above problems mentioned that I was causing with the Lee dies probably not set correctly.

Your problem seems to be with the gun though. Only two magazines of factory loads feeding properly is not fixed. Reloads only seemed to make it worse.

I wonder if they would allow you to talk with a tech or someone knowledgeable at customer service. I would think after two tries at fixing this they may buckle down and give it a more serious look.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
Strange, I suppose the reloads for this gun are not powerful enough to operate correctly. The same bullets work fine in my other 10mm guns. Ugh.
But what other 10 mm guns? That 6" slide is a lot of weight.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
My Dan Wesson 10MM will eat the reloads, but my STI does not like them as much. All STI loads must be near max in order to cycle correctly. Hot factory loads are fine.

Larry

Reactions: Benchmark

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
They just can't leave a perfectly functional firearm, that protected this nation for years, alone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: I picked up 200 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 180 ammo. Shot all of it with only 5 failures at returning to battery. Only 1 out of the 5 jams happened with the factory magazines, the other using Cobra ones. Using the factory mag it happened on the last bullet to be fired. For the Cobra mags one jammed on the first bullet to be fired, it did appear to show markings on the bullet after inspection. The others happened on the last and second to last in mag to be fired without any signs of knicks or scratches. The factory OAL was 1.25. Yes, it appears to be my reloads, I suppose, but still there was 5 mishaps. Granted it has only successfully now had 250 rounds repeatedly shot with factory, other 100 or so with reloads. All that being said my reloads measure 1.265, but the thing that erks me is that depending on bullet/grain weight the Western Powders data OAL ranges from 1.245 to 1.26.

·
Super Moderator
10,698 Posts
Some people say their gun needed 500 rounds down range before it was broke in, is this a possibility here ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts