The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use? Disposable plugs or muffs? Ever consider NRR ratings?

Are muffs worth it? Seem like they would interfere with the stock on a rifle or shotgun...

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I use ear plugs but not the cheap disposable ear plugs. I quit using muffs because they are too heavy.

I dont know the brand but they sure do the trick, in my opinion they protect my hearing more than muffs but Im sure the others have different views.I live on a 813 acre farm and I wasnt using any ear protection for a long time but now I do. My hearing is still alright.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Muffs

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
What do you guys use? Disposable plugs or muffs? Ever consider NRR ratings?

Are muffs worth it? Seem like they would interfere with the stock on a rifle or shotgun...
I'd say your choice depends a lot upon the type of shooting/noise environment you plan to experience ! FWIW, I've used EAR Plugs (disposable foam single use type) for decades in a lot of high-noise environments like drifter drilling, etc with no complaints. >MW

·
Premium Member
21,011 Posts
Muff's at the indoor range. Disposable plugs at the outdoor trap/skeet range..

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
Plugs and muffs.
i use plugs primarilly.. but put muffs over top when at an energetic range.. or when firing shoulder cannons..

( PS.. I work in an audio job.. and I can tell you that plugs are (can be) MUCH more effective than muffs ).

that said.. you can't compair a CHEAP, poor fitting low NRR plug to a high quality, high NRR, well fitting muff.

in the end.. CYA and use both...

you also have to lok at noise makeup.. freq involved and the actual NRR of the device you are using.. the class of noise.. also onset speed.. etc..

duration of exposure and exposure type, constant or intermittant..e tc.

lotsa variables other than looking at a number and checking fit.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Disposable plugs only. I can buy more ammo for the price of good muffs.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I still have my Mickymouse ears from my flightline days. I think they work better than the cheap foamy plugs. If I need to get serious, I have molded earplugs that I had made for bike riding. Can't hear much of anything with those!

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Ya the wife keeps on me about getting some muffs but seriously I have no problems with disposable plugs, they fit well and render me almost deaf when I got them in right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts