The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this site and am glad to have found it! Fascinating reading and very informative.
I have a Savage 1899 B. Full octagon , crescent butt , straight stock , in 303 savage. This rifle has a diecast magazine carrier (pre-dates brass?) that is a zinc alloy ,i suppose. I need to replace it , as it was cracked and broke in half. As a temporary fix , I have used "jb weld" to get it back together. Having just recently purchased this rifle , am eager to shoot it. Serial # 25,167 puts it at 1901 or 1903. Two different searches come back with these years. The tensioner shaft is steel and slotted for a screwdriver. It looks exactly like the schematic in 1900 savage catalog pdf's I found online.
If anyone can help me locate a replacement , it would be most appreciated. Perhaps an early brass carrier would work? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
trapper

No expert by any means but the rotor magazine in your rifle has been replaced by a later one. I believe they were all brass back in the day. Savage went with other metals including steel and aluminum later on. These show up on the usual auction sites pretty regular. Keep an eye out there. There is a Savage collectors board on the 24hourcampfire site. Parts can be had from some members there. Good luck, those 1899 B's were sweet. I had a C in 30-30, half round half octagon. Classic good looks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you "99". I'll have to check out that site. I agree , a real classic rifle and I hear they shoot well also. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trapper,

I hope that you have located your replacement part by now. 99's and me go back a long ways as it was the rifle I carried on my first deer hunt. BUT, I've never owned one till now and it is the same as what you have. Mine was manufactured in '06 and has the brass magazine rotor in it. I have heard that they are a bit troublesome to reassemble but I don't know mine isn't apart...yet.

I am on this forum today looking for answers. I want to hear from folks that have removed the barrels from these old shooters and what tips they may have to offer BEFORE I attempt to have it done to mine. The last thing I want to do is damage this piece of Americana. Yet to give this rifle a beautifully rust blued barrel and deeply corbona blued receiver, the two will need to be separated if possible but not at the chance of doing damage. So I prefer to hear from those who have gone down this path before.

I will look into this 24hourcampfire site that Steve99F mentioned. I did manage to locate the pdf of the old 1900 Savage catalog you mentioned. WOW! a blazing $24.50 for this old shooter back in 1900. (An extra three bucks for the tang sight). Hard to imagine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts