EEK!!! OMG, It's An Umbrella

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by artabr, May 12, 2009.

1. artabr

artabr New Member

What the heck is the world coming to. :confused:
    I wish the every person who called in a 9-11 call on this would have been charged with filing a false police report. :( :mad:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/44802227.html#

Report of a man with a shotgun turned out to be an umbrella

Mall Of The Bluffs Evacuation A False Alarm

Posted: 1:17 PM May 12, 2009
    Last Updated: 6:47 PM May 12, 2009
    Reporter: Justin Joseph, Gary Smollen
    Email Address: sixonline@wowt.com

51 comments

The Mall of the Bluffs in Council Bluffs was evacuated Tuesday afternoon after reports of a man with a gun. Authorities say it turned out to be a long, black umbrella being carried over his shoulder.

Tactical response teams from across the metro rushed to the mall armed with assault rifles. Customers and employees were evacuated around 1 p.m. Nearby Abraham Lincoln and St. Albert high schools were placed on lockdown.

"We got a report of a man inside the Mall of the Bluffs, of a man with a gun,” said Council Bluffs Police Sgt. Ray Mabbit. “We actually got several calls on it.” The calls came from people inside the mall.

Stephanie Keyser was one of them. "A cop comes around the corner screaming for us to lock the doors and get back.”

Within moments police evacuated the mall, cordoned it off with crime scene tape and started a search for the alleged gunman. "They told us that they heard someone had a gun, someone called it in," said Ryan Platzer, who was inside the mall.

Platzer was shopping when a store manager came running up to him in a panic. “He came out and said lock the gates and move everything inside and get everyone to the back of the store and we saw a couple of cops running by real fast towards the back of the mall.”

"I was scared,” said Paige Gallo. “You never think (of) this going down at Council Bluffs mall. I was scared, but if it happened at Westroads it can happen anywhere."

One man who knows that all too well is the Westroads Mall manager Jim Sadler. He heard about this incident and rushed over. "It was a little scary. I said more than one prayer coming over. I knew that the situation was well at hand and just wanted to get here as quickly as I could."

No one knew it at the time, but everyone was searching for one of Josh Divis' customers inside the Skeeter Barnes restaurant. "We were all watching the news in here trying to figure out what was going on."

Divis is protecting the identity of his customer because it was all just a misunderstanding. Even when police said they were looking for a man in a green vest with long hair, no one thought the "gunman" was in the restaurant.

"He had a green vest on, but he doesn't have long hair or anything like that and you know we were kind of joking back and forth, wouldn't it be funny because he had an umbrella with him, but we didn't think anything of it until they did the sweep and that's when they saw him sitting there," said Divis.

Police located the man, who was apologetic and embarrassed. "He was not aware of what was going on and confused about all the commotion,” said Sgt. Mabbitt.

----------------------------------------------
    Good comments to the story in the link.

Art

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. durk

durk Active Member

Wow, kinda funny.

3. XShooter

XShooter New Member

I read this post a half hour ago and I am still chuckling! Glad he didn't get charged with felony menacing or brandishing an umbrella!

4. artabr

artabr New Member

I watched the video after posting the story. They did have a mall shooting in the area a couple of years ago(?), but I still stand by my opinion, that these paranoid moron's should get charged. Or at least be made to apologize in public to the 'Umbrella Guy' for being an idiot.

I'm kind of laughing about it but I'm hacked off at the same time. :eek: :mad: :D

Art

5. Art, that article just about "covers" it, one might say. Of course, one might also argue that the man with the umbrella certainly became the focus of a "rainstorm" of foolish activity. It's possible too that the real culprit here was a "ferrule" animal rather than a human. He's lucky no one bashed in his "ribs" or stepped on his crook handle. :D;):p

OK, Pops, I'll stop. I wouldn't want you to groan too loudly. ;)

6. artabr

artabr New Member

7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Pistolen, "You dirty RAT, you!" :D:D:D

Actually, I rather like puns, on an occasionaly basis. My father was so good and quick with the puns that he was officially banned from the weekly LA Times puntest. He said they couldn't stand the heat, so they wouldn't let him in the kitchen to cook up any more.

Pops

8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Must ha been one of those black umbrellas.