The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inherited a large collection of guns including several pistols similar to this one.

The gun is approximately 19 cm in length with the letters E.L.A engraved with a star above them and there is also a letter L engraved next to the ELA engraving. Please see picture.

I know very little about the value of antique guns although I'm starting to learn from reading posts on this forum: I believe this is a pinfire pistol constructed in Belgium around about the the time of the American Civil War and I understand that there thousands made.

Any indication as to the value of this particular gun would be most gratefully appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think if you look carefully you will find that it is "ELG" over the Star. This as a Belgian final black powder proof and was in use until 1893. (After 1893 they included a crown with the ELG proof.), The L is an inspector mark. No way to track it down that I know of.
The Belgian folding trigger pinfire revolvers were made for many years and in many degrees of quality. Usually the higher quality ones will also have a makers name marked on them.
What you have is a nondescript example and isn't worth a whole lot. If it is in shootable condition with all springs and parts functioning, it might bring around $100, more or less. If not, even finding a buyer at any price can be difficult.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.