The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to weight your powder charge . I use a Lee perfect powder measure and a digital scale . I have one of those level type scales somewhere but never used it . But been getting a itch to get a electric powder charger . What do you use when reloading ?

·
Super Moderator
26,797 Posts
I had an electric powder measure, had to sell it. Now I just use my rotary powder measures and PACT BBK scale.

·
Premium Member
8,149 Posts
I use an old RCBS Partner Scale (Battery powered) to weigh the load then verify it on my RSBS 502 Balance Beam Scale. Verify every Load.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V-E-R-I-F-Y ! Yes . I don't every single charge but check about after every 5th one . And LOOK in the case to . There are a few things I am in the habit of doing . I have a single and a multi stage loading press . I don't use a primer system , have to put a primer in the what ever it's called by hand and don't have a powder charger on the press either . After pressing a primer into the case ,I remove the case and LOOK to check primer seated good then use the powder measure . Then put back into press and set bullet on case . After bullet is seated and crimped I check primer again and check case length first 5 or 6 loaded rounds then with check length every 10 or so rounds . There are a few other anal things I do I am sure but if I am not doing it I can't remember it all . Sucks getting older . I think it does ?? Can't remember ?? Sorry got on a rabbit trail !! The Lee Measure is good , had it 8 years maybe . But the very fine powder like the H110 used for 30 Carbine loads , it starts binding up after a bit . I only put a little powder in it to let it run dry then clean it .and refill it some . Then it runs smooth for a while .

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I don't verify every load unless it's for precision target ammo and I haven't loaded any of that in years. I use an RCBS hand priming tool and a Hornady powder measure. I don't reload for a lot of calibers and it works well for me. I also cast my own bullets for most pistol cartridges and a few rifle cartridges.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have thought about getting a hand priming tool to use when watching tv . Been casting for my black powder guns for years but just now getting into for my smokeless. And there is a bit of a learning curve between the two . It will take a while to casting for smokeless down .

·
Premium Member
12,233 Posts
Lyman beam scale. I have a Pact digital but much prefer and trust the mechanicals of the beam scale. That and when trickling loads, something I do frequently, when powder hits the pan I want to KNOW!!! Not a few to several seconds later while the digital is "recalculating". I have neither the need nor desire for an electronic powder dispenser. I've used an RCBS hand primer for....ever and the RCBS powder measure for slightly longer.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I use a digital scale and a beam scale to double check the digital. Out of a tray of fifty I double check five loads, I visually check the whole tray. One of the reasons I like to use Trail Boss powder is it is impossible to accidently double charge most calibers

·
Registered
276 Posts
I throw most all my pistol and some cast bullet rifle loads using a RCBS Little Dandy with 16 different rotors, those in RED are what I use most often.

For everything else I use my RCBS DUO Measure which has both a large and small powder drums, you just reverse the main drum to use which ever you need. I also have a set of Dillon Eliminator scales and a set of Waoaw Digital scales that I picked up a couple of years ago for $18 that have been dead nut accurate.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I used a the Lee scale which works fine, but it takes getting used to the Vernier scale, an electronic scale, and now I'm using a 5-0-5 type Hornady scale with great satisfaction. All my reloading is done with manual tools any more, no electronic or electric devices. Just in case we lose power or worse, I'm good to go.

I don't really understand using two weighing devices...which one do I trust? One, or the other, both, neither? I just pick one, calibrate (or zero) it, run a check weight in my range of concern and I go with it.
I use a Lee perfect powder measure and a digital scale
I use a digital scale and a beam scale to double check the digital.

I do this:
V-E-R-I-F-Y ! Yes . I don't every single charge but check about after every 5th one . And LOOK in the case to .

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I have an electronic scale and I use an RCBS balance beam to double check. So far the Frankfort Arsenal digital has been accurate, the RCBS beam has always been accurate. I had a Lee scale once.....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I do is set the Lee perfect measure to what I need then double check it with my battery scale cause depending on the powder big grains or real fine powder it throws a bit off . But once set it works good . Then double check a charge every so often ... I learned also when first started reloading DO NOT HAVE CEILING FAN OR AC GOING . Cause the air movement can effect that scales reading to be off . I am sure I am repeating what everyone knows but just in case a new reloader is reading they can learn from my mistakes!!!

·
TFF Chaplain
19,655 Posts
. I don't every single charge but check about after every 5th one . And LOOK in the case to .
That's what I do also.

I use a Lee powder measure for my rifle calibers and the RCBS measure on my progressive press for pistol caliber rounds.

I visually check every pistol caliber round for powder, and weigh every fifth round.

Rifle calibers I weigh every round.

I use an inexpensive digital scale. I use check weights that are close to the powder weights I use. If they are off I change batteries and if necessary calibrate using certified weights that came with the scale. I tare the powder scoop/funnel and every time I lift it from the scale it gives me a negative weight. As long as that negative weight is consistent, I'm happy. In a sense, I'm checking the scale every time I weigh the powder.

Reactions: soonerfan66

·
Super Moderator
39,831 Posts
I use a RCBS Chargemaster 750 (or something like that). When I am loading on my Rockchucker, I weigh every charge, but when I get a block full, I will still randomly pick 5 or 6 and reweigh them. When I am using the Dillon, I weigh the first 10 or so to see how consistent the thing is throwing them. After that, I will weigh about every 10th to 15th one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife came up with a good idea . Wait till it gets closer to Christmas and see if anyone has a black friday sale on the scales . Not sure if will get one or not really , if can get a good deal on one yes in a heart beat . But don't think will pay for what their going for know . Didn't realize what they cost till started checking !!! Would be a neat toy ! Dear Santa .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts