electro lead remover/bore cleaner

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mudman35962, Jul 8, 2020.

1. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

outers used to sell a electric gun cleaning system. i have read about it in the past. anyone have experience with one? i remember them being used on old guns to bring the bore back from black and ugly to bright. i would like first hand info, how to make one that works, what not to do ect. i looked for old posts here and must not be using the correct questions.
    thanks

rick

jim brady and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

I found this:

I'm not sure I'd try this, but it's out there if you want to try it.

shootbrownelk likes this.

3. Fyrstyk

Fyrstyk Active Member

I have one of the Outers electronic bore cleaners, and I will say it works like they advertise. The lead remover solution works great on my .357 mag. The bore comes out super shiny. The copper solution also does a great job. I had a rifle that I had cleaned in the conventional way and thought it was clean. then I used the Outers bore cleaner and was amazed at the amount of copper that was still in the bore that go deposited on the rod. I would recommend one to anyone who wants to get their gun bore really clean,or to clean up an old firearm.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

Good to know

5. mudman35962

"metal rod" ???? steel, brass, alum., ?? i would think it makes a very big difference which one.
    ideas?? this is what i wanted. just asks as many questions as gives answers.
    Fyrstyk can you tell from yours?
    any one else know something of value? [usefulness] i am starting to think this has some merit, and COULD be doable.

rick

6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's simple electrolysis.
    Just remember- the current doesn't "know" or CARE what metal it is electroplating to the rod. Steel, copper, lead.

7. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I would be leery of having vinegar inside the barrel for an hour or so. The reason for my statement is that I had sprayed apple cider vinegar and apple juice on a pork roast I recently smoked and when I covered it to finish the cooking I put it in a stainless steel pan and let it cool for a couple of hours. Some how some of the juices spilled into the pan and it pitted it. Wife had to use steel wool to remove the pitting in her pan... she was not a happy camper. Or am I still shell shocked from PO'ing the wife.

8. Fyrstyk

Fyrstyk Active Member

As far as i can tell, the rod that came with the Outers kit was a sectioned stainless steel rod. You could put together various lengths, depending on the length of barrel you wished to clean. I have no idea of the chemical composition of the solutions soldby Outers for lead and copper removal.

jim brady likes this.
  9. mudman35962

thank you

10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

For lead removal, jacketed bullets do a pretty darn good job. The Outers and other kits are precisely as Bill D. stated. We copper plated stuff in high school using pennies, back when pennies were not copper plated Zinc themselves.

shootbrownelk and ms6852 like this.
  12. mudman35962

i have put in hours cleaning old [grand dads] rifles. they still look dark. i thought this MIGHT work. so far still looking good. going at this very slow, and will start with a junker gun, if i proceed. i would like to get it right the first time. any and all information is appreciated.

rick

13. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Active Member

One thing that I remember about the Outers electrolysis bore cleaner way back when is that they used a very low voltage and current source for their process. Additionally, their cleaning solutions were very mild. It was thought at the time that Outers did not wish to be held responsible for ruining (e.g. eating) the good rifling in a pistol or rifle bore. Thus, resist the temptation to use higher voltages and amperage with stronger electrolysis solutions. And, most weld supply stores sell thin stainless steel rods for TIG welding and rubber stoppers are available online.

14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I'm still going old school and just use chore boy for leaded barrels, and still take measurements of the bore chamber and barrel. Once in a while I have slugged some barrels for friends and when you measure the chamber throats you find out that it is a very tight chamber and much smaller than the barrel essentially your sending a smaller bullet down the barrel that may not engage the rifling as well.

shootbrownelk and pdkfishing like this.
  15. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

FWIW - I checked the old bottles of "Lead Out" and "Cop Out" from a Outers Foul Out kit sitting on my bench. The "Lead Out" contains lead acetate & ammonium acetate while the "Cop Out" consists of copper acetate & ammonium acetate. There may be other chemicals in the bottles but those are the only ones listed.

-Ron