The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there actually enough difference between Eley target, bench rest, and match to justify paying for them?

If your shooting national match comp then I can understand it but just wanting a good accurate ammo?

You get what you pay for but do you get as much at the range as you are paying for. These wacked out prices these days dont help the situation but, the jumps in pricing for each type does not seem justified - the difference today should not be anymore than it was pre upside down world times. Base price yes difference between no I dont think so.

Just finding anything today is a chore though. Maybe shouldnt be complaining; at least I found some.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Very accurate and consistent ammo. If you are shooting in competition ammo cost is not a consideration. You need to test your rifle with ammo to see which one it likes. The best shooter in my club has been using this ammo and wins most of our events. He also uses SK ammo and says it is almost as good. Much cheaper.

I use CCI standard velocity as it is the best ammo I can find around here. I use this in my Ruger American Rimfire bolt action. When I can't find any good ammo I shoot Federal Automatch bulk. It is the best bulk ammo I have found. All of my rifles shoot it pretty well.

I need to add I am no match shooter. My game is Trap. Since I can't find shotgun shells I have been shooting a lot more 22lr. I have learned a lot as I shoot with some really good shooters.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very accurate and consistent ammo. If you are shooting in competition ammo cost is not a consideration. You need to test your rifle with ammo to see which one it likes. The best shooter in my club has been using this ammo and wins most of our events. He also uses SK ammo and says it is almost as good. Much cheaper.

I use CCI standard velocity as it is the best ammo I can find around here. I use this in my Ruger American Rimfire bolt action. When I can't find any good ammo I shoot Federal Automatch bulk. It is the best bulk ammo I have found. All of my rifles shoot it pretty well.

I need to add I am no match shooter. My game is Trap. Since I can't find shotgun shells I have been shooting a lot more 22lr. I have learned a lot as I shoot with some really good shooters.
I'll keep a watch at the local wally worlds for the fed automatch. I heard it was ok bulk but havent tried it yet. They dont list stock on the web so it is hit or miss and you have to go check - maybe I can call them and check before actually going. Thanks.

I bought a few boxes of eley target but my back side doesnt feel the same any more.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
I have never tried those super expensive (to me) ammo like the Eley. I bought a bunch of different .22 ammo before the so called election, with most of it being Aguila, and have found that the Aguila Super Extra and their Subsonic are really accurate in my Savage rifle.
I have found the Aguilar SE to be accurate in every 22 I've shot it in. The match grade ammo shoots good in most guns but really doesn't start to shine until used in match chambered rifles. Even then it may only beat other lesser quality rounds by a small fraction of an inch. That extra cost may be worth it if you are a competition shooter.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Every 22LR rifle has ammo it prefers. Some rifles are so picky, thet prefer a certain batch of ammo. So far, Eley Target is the best shooting ammo I've tried. The jury is still out on some recently acquired SK Standard and Norma Tac-22. In the end one has to try out various ammo makes and models to determine what works best. I find this challenge an interesting and fun endeavor!

What did you find Old School or Nothing?
Is there actually enough difference between Eley target, bench rest, and match to justify paying for them?

Just finding anything today is a chore though. Maybe shouldnt be complaining; at least I found some.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every 22LR rifle has ammo it prefers. Some rifles are so picky, thet prefer a certain batch of ammo. So far, Eley Target is the best shooting ammo I've tried. The jury is still out on some recently acquired SK Standard and Norma Tac-22. In the end one has to try out various ammo makes and models to determine what works best. I find this challenge an interesting and fun endeavor!

What did you find Old School or Nothing?
Found 3 boxes of Eley Target and a bulk 555 of win white box 36grn hp. Midway.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have never tried those super expensive (to me) ammo like the Eley. I bought a bunch of different .22 ammo before the so called election, with most of it being Aguila, and have found that the Aguila Super Extra and their Subsonic are really accurate in my Savage rifle.
After testing I dont think eley are worth the price for my application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts