The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this afternoon and reloaded a few more 7.62X39 using 20 grains of the Viht N-120 powder. I don't know when I will get a chance to do any more reloading. Even worse is I don't know when I will get to do any shooting, either.

I dismantled my big blue machine while I was out there. I also removed my little red single stage press from it's perch. I am now pretty much press-less!! It does not feel good.

We are doing the closing for our new house on Tuesday and I will have to start moving pretty soon afterward. I have started loading all my bullets, powder, primers, ammo, and other reloading stuff into boxes. I haven't even started good yet and I have more boxes than I know what to do with. I did not realize that I had so much stuff (and I am only talking gun related stuff so far).

Even if I get every thing over to the new house quickly, I still have to build me a bench and get every thing set up. Anyway, it's a little bit of a sad day for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're looking at it all wrong, man. This is an opportunity to scheme, I mean plan your new loading bench/room. Think of all the stuff you would have done differently the first time if you had the experience you do now. :)

hoh yeah! I would drift off to sleep many a night dreaming of my new bench setup.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
while you have a fresh area with nothing there. Pick yourself a spot(sq ft) and tape it off on the floor. Dedicated for reloading benches, cabinets, and such. TIME FOR A NEW BEGINNING,LOL Did this when the wife and I bought our home, She said I had more room than I would ever need. Been stealing sq ftage for the past year. It's like buying a safe. Always buy bigger than what you think you'll GROW into. YOU LUCKY DOG

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I'm with Jesse and EJ. Look on this as an opportunity to do it better.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I feel your pain George. If you don't have room for all of your reloading equipment at your new home I would be more than happy to, uh, keep it safe for you.. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
I bet you are back to reloading in 2 weeks..

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I don't remember if you said, or not, is there any land with this new house?

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None to speak of, Myles. Less that 1/2 an acre. Less grass to cut, about 2 acres less.

I guess a new beginning is a good way to look at it. The area I want to use for reloading will never happen, though (in an upstairs bedroom). I will have to live with the small room off the garage for the time being. I plan on getting myself another outbuilding to use as a reloading building.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
There ya go! Get out of the house completly. Be sure to get one big enough for the big screen TV, a refridgerator, the reloading bence, gun safe, pool table ...... You get the idea!

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
+1

I feel your pain though George. If I don't reload every week or two I'll go shoot up a bunch of something just so I can reload again.
No, 8 weeks. Moving is quite the undertaking but it looks like we are in for some good pics of his new set up. Hey JLA, I get some dibs on hos stuff too.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
fresh start! = improve on your old setup; think of everything you wanted with your old setup, now you can easily start new and build a loading area to your liking.

Couldn't wait to get my own shop/space, first thing I did was build two 8' benches for all my presses and storage space for components. What a great feeling.

packing it up would make me sad too but like everyone's said, there's a much bigger bright side.

happy reloading, plus you'll have to show us your new setup once you're up and running.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
gdmoody:

I moved some 16 years ago out of a house that I had owned for over 20 years. Be happy that you can instantly move seamlessly from one house to the next, kind of without interruption. It took me six months to sell the house and three months of escrow. Then the idiots that bought the my old house changed lenders in the last couple of weeks. Meanwhile anticipating the earlier move date I had the whole house all packed. I ended up with a wall of boxes just for the house stuff and no end date that was firm. I had to wait beyond the escrow date to move, living in a wall or two of boxes.

The weekend I was to move and the Friday it was suppose to close the realtor for the new house takes a vacation leaving me no visibility as if and when the deal was totally consummated. So that Friday afternoon I'm arguing with the escrow company as to whether the check closing the deal was issued and delivered as required. I finally told the escrow people I was moving into the new home (I had the key) whether the deal was done or not. A later call after several intermediate calls gets me a "Oh yes, no big deal it closed...so what's your problem?".

Moving is anxiety in spades, at least for me. This is my last move until I am unable to take care of myself and that move will be on my son, not me. I wish him luck! I have even more stuff than the last time. :) :)

I'll admit that making a new reloading room was fun. I made it the way I wanted it, expanding the benches over time so that the former bedroom is totally dedicated to reloading and gun repair. The setup is nearly ideal for me. In my former home the reloading was done in a closet...NO MORE!

LDBennett

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
We've moved at least six times during my career. Each time seems to get easier, as my wife is the "Commandant" when it comes to showing the moving guys where everything is to go.

My job is to usually stand by the truck and cross off the inventory number on each box they move. If that box is still sealed, and has at least three prior inventory numbers on it, I have them leave it at the curb and haul it all to Goodwill. I figure that it has never been opened in at least 12+ years, so WE don't NEED IT!

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
George,
Where you moving to??? Closer in or further out??
Dave
I bought a house in Athens. I am just moving into "town" from out in Madison county. Actual move is probably less than 15 miles.

With me being in the Army for 30 years, believe me, this ain't my first move. When we built this house I truly thought it would be my last move - well, that didn't work out!! Every time, I have gotten started back up pretty quickly with temporary set ups until I got up and running full scale. This time it will be a little different because I want to take my time and do it all the first time. I would like to say this will be my last time, but I won't. I was wrong lst time I said that.

Jim is probably closer to the time at 8 weeks. I don't want to set everything up in the room off the garage then have to move it all again into a permanent "building". I m looking forward to a new place and I am not looking forward to it, either - can't explain that. Lots and lots of "stuff" to move.

Josh, I have your address just in case I need someone to "hold" things for me.:rolleyes:You probably have Jim's so he can help you watch over it for me!:p

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Maybe a couple of bright spots on this: First, you can plan THE PERFFECT Reloading Space. Second, now that you are packing up, you are going to find gizmos and gadgets for reloading that you forgot you had. And finally, by the time you get set up again, powder and bullets may be available again.

We moved out of the city last year. Have places to shoot on my farm, but danged if I get the time to shoot. I shot more when I had to drive 15 miles to my Gun Club Range then I do now if I just walk out the back door. Go figure.

·
Registered
981 Posts
George,

See my post about a reloading bench as furniture. It might give you something to look forward to.

Good luck with your move.

·
Super Moderator
41,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you are going to find gizmos and gadgets for reloading that you forgot you had.
You are right there, I have found stuff that I had forgotten about, and I just started packing the stuff up. Heck, I found about 3000 rounds of various ammo in the bottom part of a German Shrunk that we took apart last week. Most of it was stuff I had reloaded in years past, but I also found 9 boxes of factory American Eagle .380 ammo.

Airdale, I looked for that thread and don't seem to be able to find it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts