The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this Carbine here in Afghanistan. Anyone know anything about them? I've done some research and have learned some cool things. This rifle is a legit British made rifle manufactured at the Braendlin Armoury. That factory seemed to specialize in making weapons for the volunteer forces of the British Empire. I'll post pictures of the bore once I get it cleaned. I am looking for the leather rear sight cover and the two wood screws that held it on. Other than that, this is a complete rifle, all serial numbers and inspector stamps are matching.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Not to be a negative nancy, but the stampings look very suspect to me. The Afghans are notoriously good at replicating the stampings but the font does not seem to match with known examples. The cocking indicator also does not look like it should.
martini-henry-rifle-mark-I-II-III-450-577-british-army-zulu-afghanistan-wars-antique-4.jpg
mark2cypher.jpg

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think they added the stamps in Afghanistan. If you look at the pictures of the stampings the known British stampings have sharp crisp points on the end of the letters. The crown underneath the year is also crisp. If you look at the stampings on yours, they are similar, but do not match.

The cocking lever does not look original to me, it should have been a solid piece like the sketch I found. You can see the edge of a pin being exposed from grinding it down.

191403_6bd8805ea7d3471f2396fda2c423574f.jpg
Martini 2.jpg
cockinginddwg.jpg
191351_fb8b59a80c09f5b1d0da23384ade59c0.jpg

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
For an example of the stampings, here is the barrel off my Enfield Patter 1861. It has a Birmingham stamp and 25 as the proof mark. That is all the original stamping would have been. I am not sure where they even found a civilian Enfield barrel in Afghanistan, but they stamped the heck out of it with other stamps...
155563_f6430e5c5f30fef1a1c592cd9ba1ed6f.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That I couldn't tell you. I read somewhere they made it smaller for the carbines because it would catch on the saddle bags or something like that.
Yeah one pattern had the large cocking indicator and the others had the small. there doesnt seem to be much definitive information out there on these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts