The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the Enfield Martini-Henry I just bought for my dad. It is a Mark I and all of the inspector stamps match as well as the serial numbers on the receiver and the bore. The original roundel cannot be seen, but it was, at some point, restamped Arms-Nepal and shipped there to support the Nepalese. The rear ladder sight was removed and replaced with a matching sight with Nepalese script. The Nepalese did eventually copy the British Enfield and open their own factory (with help from the British.) I believe the sight was swapped out to make it easier for the Nepalise owner to shoot after the factory was producing parts. It is a British made weapon and was most likely made in the Birmingham Armoury (B.S.A. co.) based on the inspector stamps. I'll try to upload a picture of the roundel when I get a minute.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
This one also has similar stamping issues. The stampings on this one are very similar to your carbine. Looks like the I under the 1873 should have a period after it. The cocking indicator looks like they ground it down as well. It should also have a arrow on it. There also appears to be a J to the left of the V.

It may have been an original gun underneath, but I think the stripped it down and re-stamped it. The screw on the bottom right of the frame looks like it had been ground down in the process.

MarkI-05.jpg
martini 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It's not my intention to belittle your purchase, I am trying to point out some of the things I learned after I made some bad purchases over there.

I later read somewhere the Afghanis re-stamp them because there needs to be a year on them for the US Customs to allow import. Otherwise they could not prove it was made before 1898.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts