Enfield MK VI .455 cal Revolver Proof Marks

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sailcaptain, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sailcaptain

sailcaptain New Member

IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0457.JPG Hi to all,
    I'm new to this site and came across a posting on February 26, 2003 regarding the Enfield MKVI .455 cal Revolver from Senior Chief Moderator Staff?

I have both this Gun and the Webley, (both with uncut cylinders and with the Pritchard Bayonets). So I purchase the .455 cal ammunition when it comes available and reload.

My question is what does the S mean on the grips of the Enfield and (I'm enclosing a picture). What is this proof mark above the cylinder?
    Thank you for any help you can offer.

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the "S" stands for nor could I find any proof marks in Wirnsberger's the same as what's on the top strap. Wirnsberger doesn't list any military proofs if that's what it is.

Pure speculation on my part, the crown over what appears to be a "79" over a "B" could be the year it was proofed and I suspect the "B" is for Birmingham proof house.

There is a gentleman on here I would consider an authority on the old Webley's and Enfield's so hopefully he will see this thread and educate all of us!

3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Well-Known Member

My memory is that British guns with a hammer safety were so marked, I want to say on the frame but may well be wrong.

4. sailcaptain

sailcaptain New Member

Thank you for your reply. It does makes perfect sense as you describe it, given the shape of the marking.
    If you go to the NRA Museum site, I was told by a friend, they have a listing and photos of the same Revolver, with the same stamp.
    Thank you again, I appreciate it.

5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Grip panels for the initial production Mk.VIs were made in at least two, possibly three, different sizes, with the size imprinted on the lower edge of the panel - S indicating small. Don't recall which size was adopted as standard.

6. sailcaptain

sailcaptain New Member

Great information, yet again. Thank you for your help. Now at least I can speak with some authority when asked about this Revolver at my club.

7. Big Coulee

Big Coulee New Member

I have a Webley Mk IV .38 ( .380/200) caliber revolver with a light green canvas flap holster . The words "war finish" are stamped on the right side of the revolver's frame and inside the holster's flap an ink marking is printed "Bagcraft Ltd. 1943". The revolver has about 98% very dark blue ( black) finish remaining with a little finish ware around the muzzle . The holster is in very good condition and has no frayed or worn spots . A brass closure snap on the flap holds the flap closed securely . The revolver's bore and cylinder chambers are bright and shiny and the revolver appears to be unfired . Both black hard rubber checkered grips contain the word "Webley" in an oval at the top of the grip panels. Would anyone care to give an educated guess on today's value of this set up ? Thanks Big Coulee

8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member