engineering design of handguns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 38 special, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

In a previous thread regarding cylinder rotation, I got to wondering if actual mechanical engineering calculations for stress on various parts are actually performed. I would think there are some engineering stress calculations but maybe it is more empirical. Are there any Engineers out there that worked for colt,smith, ruger??It would be great to get your input.

2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I know that some firearms manufacturers are using solid modeling tools like Solidworks for firearms design. I believe Wilson Combat is one of them. Solidworks performs Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on mechanical parts given the dimensions and material properties. I can only imagine that they take advantage of this tool in conjunction with testing. I would only assume that this was also done traditionally before solid modeling tools were available. I'm electrical but I hang around a lot of those knuckle-dragging mechanical types as an automation engineer in a non-firearms field.