The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking for advice on an entry level O/U shotgun for self. Am 71 Years old and enjoy tremendously shooting with son and grandsons. Would like to get into shooting clay pigeons. Have a hand thrower we have been using but, have a Whirly Bird 2,0 on my wish list.
The help I need is opinions and experiences on entry level O/U's. Have researched till it all just meshed together and then it all was confusing. Extractors or Ejectors, Barrel lengths, choke type: extended or flush fitting, etc. Am set on 12ga. tho.
All info is appreciated. We have room to shoot on our property so do not need to join Trap or Skeet or Sporting Clays Clubs.
Thanks for the Help.
Thank you all for your info. Please kep those cards and letters coming...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I know what it is like to research a purchase to death. After a while your mind just overloads and you are barely any better off than when you began, except you may have gained much information. From what you are describing, you just want to have some fun with the boys out back. You want something that will be comfortable and a pleasure to shoot. You are not out to compete with the trap/skeet or sporting clays crowd although they are wealth of experience and knowledge. Many in those clubs will know where to buy or how to guide you. Some may even have something to sell, but it may have picked up alot of wear if used regularly.

Dress in the way you intend to shoot and try to handle as many as you can. Something may jump out at you and just feel good. Someone who really knows shotguns could help fit you for one which just might get you started correctly and help you hit more targets. Visit the clubs because they may have gun sales as part of the business. Remember though, that in this sport everyone believes they are an expert. Not all advice is good advice. Many working the counters don't know much more than you, if that. Yet some who have been at it all their lives know the ins and outs and can be of great help. Ask around at the clubs. There may just be a shooting coach who could be of great help to you. A proper fit to begin with means you won't have to adapt to something that is too long or too short.

Weight absorbs recoil. A nice pad on the end of the stock will also. If I were hunting in brush, then short and light is handy. But you probably want comfort and less recoil like many of us, who are in our 70s. Don't ignore the used market but it helps to have someone with you who knows a problem when they see it.

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
cry when you buy and laugh when it last. i have seen alot of the so called less expencive o/u,s come and go, oh you will hear how some one out shot the whole squad with one of the lesser shotguns and that it lasted for a million rounds. maybe but i wouldn,t bet the farm on it.
There is a lot of truth to what you say and agree with you. There is a niché for inexpensive o/u shotguns. I can afford the best but why? I've had mine for years I do not shoot clays as a competitor and when I do it is just on an occasional outing. I use mine once or twice a year for clay and the other time for dove or quail hunts. Any competitor that competes professionally or for fun as a hobby has the funds to buy a better built shotgun that will withstand the thousands upon thousands of shells been shot without failure will not ask for the least expensive shotgun to buy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I shoot trap every Thur evening at my Fish and Game Club. Used a mossy 500 for about a year, but Have a Mossy Silver Reserve O/U now.. love..love..love it.. It has a little less recoil than the 500..but trap loads are light anyways..and didn't have to skip a car payment to buy it...lol.

·
Banned
393 Posts
you good a good one, but here is a horror story. a good friend bought one in 20 ga for his wife and at about 400 rounds is would some times double and also fail to fire the lower barrel. i took the butt stock off and the insides looked like a monkey with a file went to work on it, the lucky part is the dealer(good man) took it back with a full refund.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Maybe some of those Turks making them were smoking something exotic at work that day.

Sounds alot like the Brazilian FIE O&U I had from the '70s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks to all with your info, it is much appreciated. Have been searching relentlessly for o/u's "IN STOCK", to no avail.
Will keep Hunting. Hope to find one before summer is up and Grandkids head back to school.

·
Registered
18,319 Posts
Stoeger seem to stay in stock the best..though if you have rural king in your area, the Turkish shotguns are usually kept in stock

21 - 29 of 29 Posts