Eotech lawsuit and buyback program

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by dbcooper, Dec 13, 2015.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...tles-lawsuit-over-defective-rifle-sights.html

I learned about this through Larry Vickers and I am posting this for those of you with one of their products.

EoTech is a major supplier of weapon optics for the US Military and civilian market.
    They were sued by the Feds for knowingly concealing a very serious defect in their product. As a result of that lawsuit, they are buying back products, yes, even from us civilians, on a case by case basis.

The problem is thermal drift. For example, if you zero the optic at 60F and the weapon is subjected to temps below 35 or above 100, there can be change in the point of impact
    this is something the lawsuit proved they knew about and concealed the defect from the military and worked to cover it up. They got caught.

If you have one of their optics and want to send it back, go to their website and fill out a return authorization form online. If you have the original receipt that helps a lot
    you give them some info on your optic like SN and date of purchase and how much you are claiming for a refund. In a day or so, you get an email saying your request is approved and to send it back to them and they will pay you back the full purchase price plus $15 shipping.

They were very fast and courteous to me. My 512 is on its way back and when I get my money back I will be buying an Aimpoint to replace it
    I could not live with the old optic knowing it could fail and right when I needed it most. It was on my SHTF rifle.

BobMcG, Guts3d, CampingJosh and 5 others like this.
  2. Dlflyer

Dlflyer New Member

Just wrote in the introductory for new members forum I have lots to learn. Five minutes later I read this. I've been saving for an XPS to put on my AR I built. I want to keep it all American parts. Keep looking I guess.

3. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Geeee, even my little Bushnell red dot and Hi Point red/green dot doesn't do that.:D

jsjj388 likes this.
  4. CapnDean

CapnDean New Member

DBCooper - - Cool!

dbcooper likes this.
  5. Daffyd

Daffyd Well-Known Member

What a bummer! I love my EOTech 512! Why have they ruined it for me! I'm torn! I don't do any extreme weather with it, but then again, maybe someday I will need to.

Thanks for the heads up DB. I'll have to make a decision soon! However, I really don't like the AimPoint Sights, and can't afford a Trijicon! Decisions, decisions!

dbcooper and Guts3d like this.
  6. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I'm right were you are. Mine sits on a KSG and works great. The terminal drift is one thing but they also report that the reticle fades away. The fact that they are replacing rather than upgrading would indicate they have not fixed these issues. That being the case they may not be here next year to replace or repair if a person holds off till the problems appear later:(

dbcooper and Guts3d like this.
  7. dbcooper

I'm just in the same boat as you
    I feel let down and betrayed by them

CampingJosh and Guts3d like this.
  8. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for all this info, db. I got a 512 that came with an AR I bought about 3 years ago. Guy I got it from won the gun, sight, and bunch of other accessories in a raffle.

dbcooper likes this.
  9. Daffyd

Daffyd Well-Known Member

Hey, DB!

I just submitted my Return Authorization Request Form to EOTech / L3 Communications. I guess I'll find out next week if they'll follow through. I had to do some digging but found the original receipt from July 2006. I purchased it from GGG in a package deal with their Accucam Quick Release Mount. I submitted the full price, since I can't use the mount on any other products. I'll have to do some research for a replacement.

I still have the original packaging, so I can use it to return. I really appreciate the heads up on this. Anyone I know who has the EOTech will be notified.

Daffyd

todd51 and dbcooper like this.
  10. dbcooper

I am waiting for my refund check now
    I FedEx'd mine in last week
    I'll bet they are being overwhelmed and will take awhile to sort it out

You will get an email in a few days telling you to send it back and to print off and send a copy of that email in with the object that you send back

Keep a hard copy of that email for your records
    As soon as I hear back or get my refund I will let you guys know

Daffyd likes this.
  11. Daffyd

Daffyd Well-Known Member

I got my Return Authorization e-mail today! Since tomorrow's New Year's Eve, I'll pack it up this weekend, send it out Monday! I really wish I didn't have to do this, but it's necessary. If EOTech ever fixes the problem, I'll purchase one again.

todd51 and dbcooper like this.
  12. Daffyd

Daffyd Well-Known Member

I received my e-mail from EOTech today! They have processed, and approved my claim. The e-mail said they'd be in touch about check processing. I hope they don't drag their feet too long!

Thanks again, DB!

dbcooper likes this.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I shipped mine back on Monday. I'm still waiting on them to confirm that they received it, but I'm sure there's quite the backlog.

I'm not happy with it, but at least they're willing to buy back all the junk they sold.

Daffyd and dbcooper like this.
  14. dbcooper

I got an email also earlier this week saying they are processing my check for the refund

Daffyd and crystalphoto like this.
  15. dbcooper

GOT MY CHECK TODAY! Full refund
    Gonna get an Aimpoint PRO!!