The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a safety lever issue on an Erma EP22. Picked this gun up and the safety didn't work. Essentially its on the gun but doesn't do anything!! Upon inspection, I found that the safety lever spring & ball were missing which I already ordered. On the inside of the frame I can see that the Safety clip (half moon clip with one hole on each side of the clip) is clipped around the safety lever but it isn't attached to the trigger system to function as a safety. My issue is that I can't figure out how this attaches in order to function??
I can't seem to find anything online or publications that addresses this issue. Are there any gurus out there that know about the safety on this gun?

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
It doesn't attach to the trigger system, it blocks the sear bar from moving.
In the video at about 11:21, he points it out.
If the detent and spring were missing, the safety would flop around, so there's a chance, the previous owner may have done some filing on it to deactivate it's purpose.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a safety lever issue on an Erma EP22. Picked this gun up and the safety didn't work. Essentially its on the gun but doesn't do anything!! Upon inspection, I found that the safety lever spring & ball were missing which I already ordered. On the inside of the frame I can see that the Safety clip (half moon clip with one hole on each side of the clip) is clipped around the safety lever but it isn't attached to the trigger system to function as a safety. My issue is that I can't figure out how this attaches in order to function??
I can't seem to find anything online or publications that addresses this issue. Are there any gurus out there that know about the safety on this gun?
Years ago I purchased that model from a local big box store. After firing a box or so of 22 ammunition the safety quit engaging. I returned the weapon, explained the problem, and was given another in return. After firing approx the same amount of ammunition through that one the same thing happened. I returned that one, told the mgr I wanted my money back, and that I was done. In my opinion, even though they look kind of neat, it's a poorly made weapon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't attach to the trigger system, it blocks the sear bar from moving.
In the video at about 11:21, he points it out.
If the detent and spring were missing, the safety would flop around, so there's a chance, the previous owner may have done some filing on it to deactivate it's purpose.
Thanks for the response. I watched the video but couldn't see how the safety engages or stops the sear from being released? If I install the spring & ball, the lever should be tightened up as designed but on the inside of the frame the safety clip is clipped around the safety lever but it is just spins around when you turn the safety lever so it's definitely not engaging with the sear at all. And being the the clip has those holes on each end of it, it would be logical to think that the holes were put there for a reason (likely to attach to the sear or something). You wouldn't happen to have a close up photo of the safety lever on the inside of the frame with the clip attached?? Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago I purchased that model from a local big box store. After firing a box or so of 22 ammunition the safety quit engaging. I returned the weapon, explained the problem, and was given another in return. After firing approx the same amount of ammunition through that one the same thing happened. I returned that one, told the mgr I wanted my money back, and that I was done. In my opinion, even though they look kind of neat, it's a poorly made weapon.
Oh boy, I'm sorry to hear that. Now I'm wondering if I can even get this fixed that the problem won't return. Maybe a design flaw? Could it be that the constant engaging/disengaging of the safety somehow wears the clip down or the safety lever bar down to the point where the clip can't engage the sear?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Oh boy, I'm sorry to hear that. Now I'm wondering if I can even get this fixed that the problem won't return. Maybe a design flaw? Could it be that the constant engaging/disengaging of the safety somehow wears the clip down or the safety lever bar down to the point where the clip can't engage the sear?
I think the problem may be with the design and the wear on the sear after being fired numerous times. If you need more information go to youtube.com and do a search. Good luck.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,939 Posts
I don't know if you've seen this diagram, but it may help to visualize the assembly. I bought one of the Ermas like that one back in the early 70's - I don't know for sure whether it was that same model. It was garbage, and couldn't fire a full magazine without jamming. I might have fixed it today, but I was just a kid at the time and knew little about how semi-auto guns work. I returned it to the hardware store for a refund.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I agree with KWM on the poor design and wear. I've owned two, both wouldn't shoot straight, if and when they would function. They were a great idea, but made badly to cut costs. You're focusing on that clip, when it's function is to just retain the safety. The two small holes are for removal and installation with snap ring pliers. One end of it is bigger, that goes towards the front installed.
With the top end off the frame, safety off, pull the trigger and see how the sear and trigger bar move. Note where the safety, when on, would block that. If it's not blocking it, look to see what's worn or altered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts