Escape From L.A.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Bob In St Louis
    (9/15/01 9:40:46 pm)
    Escape From L.A.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After a week hiatus, I have returned to the board. Last Monday afternoon I flew out to L.A. for a one day conference that was to be held on Tuesday. I was still on Central Time in my normal pattern, so I called my office in St. Louis at 5:45 AM Pacific time. The receptionist asked me if I had heard the news? Dumbfounded, I turned on the T.V. in my room, just in time to see the second plane crash into the World Trade Center. I got myself together, and went down to the conference room where the seminar was supposed to be. A representative there said it would be doubtful if we would have the seminar, because a lot of folks were flying in that morning for the seminar and were stuck all over the country. Besides, the two people doing the afternoon presentations for the seminar were also flying out that morning from --- Washington D.C. An hour later we found out those two people were on one of the hyjacked planes. The rest of the day the handful of us that had made it there sat dumbfounded staring at a T.V. in the conference room.

I was supposed to fly out Wed. morning at 7:00 A.M. - well, of course, no flights. I was staying at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in downtown L.A. - many of you have seen pictures of this hotel before - especially if you have seen the Bruce Willis movie "Die Hard" where the terrorists take over the hotel. What a terrible feeling. The place was full of approximately 5,000 Japanese tourists, a handful of European tourists, and a drunk Venuzalan that liked to sing and shout a lot at the bar in the lobby. And of course, about four or five of us there for the conference. The next couple of days I was on the phone constantly with travel agents, airlines, and my office. Amtrak was booked, and wrecking trains all over the place. I even considered renting a car and driving back to St. Louis - no rental cars to be found. And of course, nothing flying. Intermittently, I would cruise around the lobby, and the ring of restaurants and shops in the lower floors of the hotel. If I had a dollar for every picture I took for smiling Japanese tourists ("Sir, Sir, take picture please?") I would be rich right now. Do I have "Photographer" written on my forehead or something?

Finally, it looked like the flight would go at 10:45 A.M. Friday. I was booked on the flying Cattle Car Company (Southwest). Took a shuttle van from downtown L.A. at 6:00 A.M., threaded through airport check points - you could sense a frantic nature of activity everywhere. Got to the airport, Southwest was resuming flights at 9:00 A.M., so the lines were not long yet. Went through the security check point, X-ray luggage deal - they even made me put my cell phone and palm pilot through the X-ray machine, empty EVERTHING from my pockets, and then scanned me with one of them cattle-prod looking metal detector thingies. I smiled and asked the gal if I should bend over and spread my cheeks, but she didn't crack a smile and said to move on. Got to my boarding gate at about 7:45 A.M. - stood in line to get the boarding card. 9:45 A.M., they started giving out the boarding cards, and I just got mine when the airport cops started screaming "Evacuate! Evacuate!" Well. I think a few folks around me did evacuate their bowels ---. Anyway, we had to evacuate that wing of the airport because someone had walked off to the bathroom or something, and left their luggage. They brought in the bomb sniffing dogs, the dogs had agood time sniffing the dirty underwear, then we were all allowed back in. Boarded the plane at 10:30. At 10:45, we were told that we would be delayed 10 minutes for some connecting passengers. 11:00 A.M. they arrived, but then there was an electrical problem. We all sat there for another hour and sweated profusely. Finally it was fixed, and with an "Alleluyah" we were off. The flight was into Kansas City, where I was to pick up a short flight to St. Louis. We landed right about the time my St. Louis connection was supposed to take off. I was running gangbusters up the gang plank, first one off, and low and behold there was a bunch of camera crews from Kansas City television stations. I guess we were the first plane to make it there out of LAX. I just smiled and said "Howdy" and kept on trucking - the reporter was standing there with her mouth open and I brushed on by. Ran to my next gate, and the plane hadn't left yet - seems the flight crew was stuck at Chicago Midway, which had shut down again. Southwest shanghaied a crew that was supposed to be heading back home to California, and put them on the flight to St. Louis - So, for that short flight to St. Louis we had an unhappy flight crew throwing peanuts at us and gleefully dumping soda in our laps. Anyway, I finally made it home about 7:00 PM last night, and have been trying to catch up since then.

So, what's new around here?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

warpig883
    (9/15/01 10:10:34 pm)
    Re: Escape From L.A.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not too much new around here, course Blackgun is still causing trouble with everyone. Sounds like quite and adventure. I have been wondering if this would happen to anyone in our small community here. Hope that none of our members were at ground zero.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

BlackGun
    (9/15/01 10:49:49 pm)
    Bob! Don't believe nothin Piggy says! he's so wound up in them hoochie momma's, his mind is fogged, or is it the tail pipe smoke from that Harley from Hell, Hummmmmmmmmmmmm! I don't know....................!

TallTLynn
    (9/15/01 11:52:36 pm)
    Bob, so glad to see you back safe and sound.

Wish your trip had been better, but then I think all of us wish this past week had never happened.

shooter45 us
    (9/16/01 6:43:43 am)
    Bob, Glad you made it back OK.

Zigzag2
    (9/16/01 7:38:21 am)
    Bob, glad you made it back ok. It's been eerily quiet around here.

Xracer
    (9/16/01 7:56:16 am)
    Well, Bob.....bummer trip, but at least you made it OK. Welcome back.

the real fredneck
    (9/16/01 8:37:56 am)
    so Bob, do you feel like Snake Pliskin? just glad none of us heard you were dead

AGunguy
    (9/16/01 8:39:57 am)
    Welcome back, Bob.

44rugerfan
    (9/16/01 9:01:50 am)
    Glad you are back, Bob.

gun runner john
    (9/16/01 10:14:07 am)
    I came back from San Diego on Sunday night, and I'm damned glad that my trip wasn't a week later!

zombiedawg
    (9/17/01 1:57:45 am)
    Glad you're safe

twins
    (9/17/01 3:03:04 am)
    Glad to see you made it back. I think you could pass for a photographer though (lol). I wanted to ask you about Astras down in MO and never got the chance. I have no idea what flavor it was but the guy wanted 400 bucks 11 years ago. Came with a leather holster that held the extra clip and two clips. Is there any in that price range from the time period of 11 years ago?

Spanish Cruffler
    (9/17/01 5:41:13 am)
    Seems a might bit steep for an Astra 11 years ago, unless maybe it was one of the Nazi range serial number guns. If it was a Model 400 or 600 in the serial number range delivered to the Nazi government, I could see that price.

twins
    (9/17/01 5:53:29 am)
    I only know he said it was souvenir from the war, I don't know if it was true. I did walk away twice though. If I ever see him again, I will get more info. (I saw it at a yard sale on two diff occasions.)
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.