The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Registered
I've been pelted by BBs when dove hunting by another hunter on the other end of the pasture, He was far enough away that the bbs were basically just falling so they were more of an annoyance than anything else. When I was a kid I was climbing a tree in our yard, this was way out in the country, and my dad yelled at me to get out of the tree Now! He heard a bullet go whizzing through the branches above me. It was deer season and he assumed it was a stray round fired by some careless hunter on the other side of the ridge beyond our property that was aimed too high to hit something solid and stop it. He never saw anyone and we never heard the report of a rifle.

Super Moderator
Yup. Was riding motor cycles on public property and a kid that lived on private property that bordered it, took a few shots at me with a shotgun.
We later became pretty good friends.

Registered
I've been shot toward inadvertently. Some folks were hunting rabbits with dogs on the next property over from where we had just cleared our land. We heard the dogs getting closer, but didn't really think about what was going to happen next. Standing in the open clearing on the other side of a tree line, we started hearing pellets whizzing by CLOSE after shotgun blasts. They didn't intend to shoot at us. Heck, they didn't even know anyone was over there. These guys were hunting land owned by a church friend and he apparently didn't explain his property lines very well before sending them out. Thank goodness they heard me yelling at them to stop!

Registered
Back in 1978 I went deer hunting in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan during the two week high power rifle season. I was hunting state land. I had stepped out of a dense pine forest to a 400鈥 wide clear cut. I stood there for a minute or so when a bullet flew past my head cracking loudly followed by the report of of a rifle shot coming from the other side of the clear cut where I saw two hunters. I hollered at them, and one of them shot in my direction again. I run back into the pine forest about 50鈥 and moved parallel to to the clearings edge and crawled to the clearing edge and fired two fast shots at them hitting a large tree trunk near their heads. This caused them to retreat into their tree line. I was pissed off that they shot at me on purpose, so I stupidly went after them. After following their tracks in the snow they split up in two directions, which then I decided not to go after them anymore. Needless to say I beat feet going back the way I came pretty much running all the way back to my car and back to my buddies cabin. I didn鈥檛 go out to hunt for the rest of time I was up there, and have not hunted on state land since.

The second time was in 1979 in when I joined the U.S.Army in basic training when my company was doing a live fire exercise learning advance and concealment on mock machine gun nest. I was chosen to work my way to the machine gun nest with another trainee cover with live ammo. As I crawled to the nest to toss in a blank grenade, my partner chosen by the drill sergeants was land bullets within a couple of feet of me. I rolled to the opposite side of the nest which a pit with dirt mounded around it. A cease fire was called over a loud speaker. When I was ordered to come back, I see my two drill sergeants kicking the crap out of the guy who was shooting at me. This guy was fresh off the boat from Puerto Rico and could barely speak English and miss understood the what was supposed to do. I鈥檓 just lucky that he was not good at aimed fire. The bullets both cracked and popped when impacted the dirt mound next me. To add insult to me by the drill sergeants was to be berated for not completing my lesson/mission by not tossing the blank grenade into the machine gun nest. So they made me do it a second time. Thankfully with another trainee who didn鈥檛 shoot at me. It was at that time were I had serious second thoughts about what I had signed up for.

Premium Member
I would say it matters not where the Bad Guy with a gun is from If some one with a gun is looking to perforate your body it counts.

Premium Member
Shot pellets in the leaves way over two kids heads. We left post haste!!

Reactions: chaswea

Premium Member
cant say that I have ever been shot at, but I was standing next to our neighbor when he was shot by the guy down the street trying to get his dog back. I was 6 or 7. The shooter had it all set up with his wife, I can remember to this day he said "honey get the phone book out of the oven" next thing I know a loud pop. I was so young I didnt know what was going on but I couldnt catch up up to all the other kids that left a few seconds before the shot.

Registered
Yes as a teen hunting, Had 3 torpedos shot at the ship I was on in the Navy. The Navy was testing a mew torpedo and my ship was the target ship. Talk about pucker power. Now I really know how all those people felt in the wars when they saw them coming at you.

Deer Stalker
I've had a gun pulled on me 5 times and twice fired at. (And I'm not even in the military or a cop!) 3 of those instances involved the perp drinking too much.

Wrong place at the wrong time. Just dumb luck.

Short story, readers digest version:

1972: A 9 year old took a pot shot with a 22 rifle (he was pissed off) at me on a schwinn bike out near our farm. I was 11 years old. He hit the frame, fortunately my calf was in the upstroke.

1976: A drunk with a hunting rifle waved an loaded M1 Garand at a bunch of us under-aged teens drinking beer at the beach in Forest Lake MN after one of us told him not to drive that drunk after he came out of a bar (Cops came, he ditched the gun in the truck, they pulled it out without a search warrant, arrested him, he was wanted in WI for aggravated assault with a weapon)

1977: A girl I was dating had an ex-BF that jumped me in an alley way near the Tom Thumb (7-11 of the 70-s') and his buddy held a shotgun on me while he beat the crap out of me for dating "his girl". I was a rather muscular guy, they needed a gun. ;)

1982: Bartending at Garcia's of Scottsale in Federal Way, a customer pointed his conceal carry firearm at me after I cut him off. He left immediately when I picked up the phone to call the cops from behind the bar.

1984: After work, 3 waitresses and I went to catch last call at the Keg Restaurant. Later when leaving in the parking lot, a guy fired 2 shots at me after I told him he should go "Sleep it off" when he was inside the bar, belligerent and drunk. He wanted to show me that I was wrong for his harassment of every customer in the bar, and after the bar closed in the parking lot from his car, he shot from about 10 feet away. He drove off, no one got a license plate number.

Premium Member
Used to fly Sandblower flights over the eastern states for training (100' and below, training for nuclear delivery) returned from a few hops with bullet holes in the wing and fuselage...must have chapped a few bootleggers/hunters.

Premium Member
Late 60s, next door neighbor and I out in the front yard. He, just back from Vietnam hear bullets wizzing over our heads and hitting the hill behind out houses.. Took about 1/2 hour to get him to come out from under the cars. Called the Sheriff, they showed up and as we pointed in the direction the bullets came from, they pretty much knew who it was shooting. Maybe 5 more patrol cars showed up at the shooters house. ;)

Registered
A few times but this was funny although almost tragic.....At my buddies range,testing out loads,got done and decided to just have some fun dumping a mag or 2.....dump 1st 20rd,change and hear a muffled screaming...my buddy yells out and we hear 2 voices on other side of target area.....guy and hot babe come out with hands in air-DON'T SHOOT----they walk up and my buddy lit into them,apparently they asked if they could hunt on his land,he said NO....so they snuck in a back way the day we were shooting...she looked at me and asked if I felt bad-scaring them,we both said NO and GTF off the land and don't come back.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts