Ever been to a show/shop where gun went off? ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

jonkx
    (3/17/02 11:20:29 am)
    | Del All Ever been to a show/shop where gun went off?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just curious to see. One, yes, two no.
    Yes
    No

Show results

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 12:27:51 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Ever been to a show/shop where gun went off?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've never seen a discarge, But I was at a gun show in Moscow ID a few years ago and picked up a Ruger M77 300 win mag and ran the bolt to look inside, the sucker spit out a live round. The guy was as surprised as I was.

Only a small percentage of criminals are sent to prison. A bigger percentage are re-elected

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 2:17:09 pm)
    About 5 years ago, Middletown NY. The biggest pain in the ass an the biggest "mouth" was hollering an waving a "Ruby- eat your hart out St L Bob" around over his head when BANG! Thru the roof or whatever was up there. U could hear the proverbial pin drop, an all around, snic, clik, etc an half the place seem to be in "defenseive position. I was laffing so dam hard I Knew this jerkAbout 2 minits later in walks 2 state troopers, none the wiser, jus checking things out. Needless to say, no more herd outa that AH the rest of the day.
    No, nobody ratted.
    An dats de troot!!!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/02 2:24:47 pm)
    The smell in their britches should have given them away.

GG

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 4:57:57 pm)
    I once visited a topless bar, don`t know it for a fact.....but rumors had several going off......no one fessed up though. LTS
    T.F.F.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/17/02 7:01:42 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ever been to a show/shop where gun went off?

TFF VMBB Contact Admin

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/17/02 7:31:14 pm)
    The Monica stain should have given them away.

GG

218Bee
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 8:22:48 pm)
    About 2 months ago we were doin` a show near Tampa,about 600 tables,an old guy at a wall table decides to pull his personal gun out of a briefcase and show it to someone.He pulls out the mag,aims the gun at the wall and fired......dead silence for about 5 seconds,then the sound of wheelin` and dealin was back..like nothin` happened..that was the odd thing about it.

2 shows later,when we were leaving on a saturday afternoon I started my jeep and heard a POP sound,2 guys were talkin,one bulled back the slide on his 45ACP,with his finger on the trigger,the pullet went into the ground beetween the other guys feet.

The last few shows have been uneventful...well,sorta..

(Spoken in a gentlemanly southern accent,surprisingly like Val Kilmer in his role as Doc Holliday)

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 9:00:28 pm)
    Over the years at numerous shows, the only incident I ever saw was a BB gun going off and the BB ricochetting around a stack of folded metal chairs.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

nighthawksh
    (3/17/02 9:43:08 pm)
    Gun show - Yakima, WA 1995
    Gun show - Spokane WA 1995
    Gun show - Couer d'Alaine, ID 1996
    A gun store - Spokane, WA 1996

A pawn shop where I was working, Spokane, WA 1990

A gunsmith/gun store where I was working, Spokane, Wa 1997

Not ALL people should own guns, just as not all people who can procreate, should.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 10:21:22 pm)
    nighthawkish

can ya here the phone or door bell ring???

Only a small percentage of criminals are sent to prison. A bigger percentage are re-elected

DarkStar11Redux
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 11:53:24 pm)
    Tulsa, Spring 2000.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/18/02 9:50:24 am)
    Never saw or experienced one at a show YET, but I dunno, I firmly believe among those who handle/shoot firearms, ESPECIALLY those with the most "experience," there are those who have had ADs and those who will...nobody in between.

The second truism I firmly believe is that among those who have had ADs, there are those who will admit it, and those who NEVER will until their dying day, again, with nobody in between. They think somehow if they admit they are human, it makes them less "macho" or something....

THAT is why the two Biggest rules MUST go together...the gun IS loaded, even when you KNOW it isn't....

...and only point it at something you want, or at least, "can afford" to shoot, ESPECIALLY when you "know" it's unloaded...

It's NOT one or the other...the second is fail-safe for when you brain-fart the first...and you WILL.

From my range/safety officer days, also, some of the BIGGEST offenders, and incidentally those with the most observable ADs, were NOT the "rookies..."

The A and B class and "pros" were the most careless with their firearms as a rule in my experience at least...and the ones to get the most pissed and sanctimonious when you "correct" them.

Watch any line, and who is the first to be fiddling with his equipment, showing off his new Nastoff, sweeping the line while trying some "new" draw or technique, "pushing" his last time, showing off, or whatever? Or bag the TV during dry-fire parctice in their living room?

Usually NOT the rookie...

Luckily, all my ADs happened when I was following Rule #2....and all my non-equipment related ADs...(brain-farts) occured with no or few witnesses present....

THERE, I've admitted it, who ELSE has the guts to admit it?

Yesterday at a show I pulled my Makarov and handed it to a grip dealer to put on a set of Pierce grips so I could test it...

No matter that I had checked it, the IPD had checked it and put the cable tie through the bore and slide and had it locked, I was uncomfortable as hell when the "professional" grip guy had it pointed at my belly the entire time he was installing the grip...

I thanked him profusely when he was done.....and eventually bought the grip from ANOTHER dealer.

The other thing that bothers me at shows is the amount of times you see guys trying out firearms, pointing them absentmindedly into the crowd...sometimes I even see guys (even LEOs) who I swear are getting sight pictures on other PEOPLE on purpose...

I hate to sound like a prude, BUT with shows "under the gun" so much by Schumer, Clinton, Kennedy, Feinstein, et al, we REALLY need to police our own more than we do...

I SHOULD have said something to that grip dealer...but didn't, so I'm to blame as much as anybody I guess...
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/18/02 5:58:52 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Very well said Polish! I could not agree more.

Why did you buy the grips from a different vendor though??

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/18/02 7:31:21 pm)
    i was witness to bob's bb story

other than that ,no ,but i did pistol wip a guy one time and my 9mm discharged ,luckly no one was hurt

yes it was self defense

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/19/02 8:59:02 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Back when I was doing the circuit in the late 80's, it was rare to NOT have a gun go off.

Market Hall - Dallas
    Amon Carter Conv Center - Ft Worth
    Astrohall - Houston (a 2000-table show went completely quiet)
    ?? Convention Center - San Antonio

All of 'em.

Personal AD's? Yep. Once when I was about 12, I guess, I had a Stoeger .22 Luger in my gun cabinet in my room. Took it out to wipe it down, got my finger in the trigger guard and put a bullet in the carpet. SEVERAL years later at a shop I co-owned, I had just completed an action job on a Smith 59. Had already loaded it to test fire into the trap, promptly forgot about that, and put a round through the ceiling. Lessons learned.

BUT, the only times I've ever discharged a round in the vicinity of another person were deliberate. So far so good.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/19/02 10:20:04 pm)
    You caught me FL, not ONLY didn't I like the way he handled my Makarov, I didn't know if I liked the grip or not, and I thought I could find it cheaper later if I decided to buy it...

and I did...

But I DIDN'T like it pointed at me either...
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/20/02 9:57:10 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Had a buddy of mine hand me his Gold Cup .45 at
    the range to try some new rounds he loaded but
    he didn't quite seat the primers properly and when
    I released the slide BANG! a slam fire occured simply
    from the rear of the slide hitting the back of the potruding
    primer!

Lucky thing I had it pointed down range at the time!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 7:03:51 pm)
    What about controlled AD`s, man I`ve got the funnyist story ever......it conerns Glocks too......wanna hear it???? LTS
    T.F.F.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/21/02 7:14:46 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Go for it LTS!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 7:49:08 pm)
    Did someone say funny Glocks.......I wanna here this story!!!

GO LTS.....

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 7:51:20 pm)
    Did someone say funny Glocks.......I wanna here this story!!!

GO LTS.....

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/22/02 12:09:03 pm)
    Yepper, was at a show in Mt.Clemens,MI a few years ago right before Christmas and a dealer was showing a piece to a buyer. BANG! I was in the next isle and about 20 feet from me was a guy that was hit by the bullet in the neck. I had the vantage point to see the dealer go down to his knee and drop the mag then the slide. You could have heard a pin drop then some of the other dealers started to chew the dealer out. Meanwhile the guy that was hit in the neck with the .380, we had to make lie down while waiting for an ambulance. Of course security starts coming out of the woodwork from the main mall, all wearing Santa Clause outfits (yeah, I know it sounds incredible) and then the local's finest all arrive. You talk about a bummer for sales that day, sure was, and I just can't imagine the suit that was filed by the victim's laywer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.