Ever here anyone say

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

ooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/21/02 10:57:46 am)
    Reply Ever hear anyone say
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Their pistol is DOUBLE FEEDING ???????

What kind of nitwit came up with that?

There are only two ways a firearm can double feed. #1: the mag lips are broken[ this will ultimately dump everything] #2: The firearm has two feeding sources[ not too many of those around]

When trying to repair something that's broken it's critical to know what's wrong. What they are trying to say is that the firearm either failed to extract or failed to extract and eject. This tells me what's wrong and measures can be taken to correct the problem. When either failure to extract or failure to extract and /or eject, and there are additional rounds in the mag, the next round is usually prevented from chambering. This is why there are multiple items in the feedway. [duh]

I wonder who came up with this "double feeding" crap.

Rant off.
    Shooter

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/21/02 11:02:22 am)
    Reply Re: Ever hear anyone say
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ......so! are you ok now???? What is a double tap??? Shouldn`t it be called "tapping"???

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/21/02 11:46:16 am)
    Re: Ever hear anyone say
    Sam, you would probably have a hemorrhage in my shop. My lovely wife took in some repair work over the counter the other day and the tag simply reads: "Doesnt work."

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/21/02 12:03:45 pm)
    Andrew, I had rather have a work order stating "doesn't work". I could always check the function and test fire and see for myself what's wrong. I just think a few should leave them broken.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/21/02 12:06:00 pm)
    This thingy no worky no mo!!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/21/02 2:27:34 pm)
    LOL ya'll are crazy!!!
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/21/02 5:30:02 pm)
    This have anything to do with "dang mag ramp no go, just whack it!"

hotload
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/21/02 8:15:35 pm)
    Reply THE KIND I LIKE !!!
    Thats just the kind I like too, HOLLAR POINTS !!!
    Remember that shooter?
    TELL IT ALL BROTHA TELL IT ALL !!!!

John Lawson
    (9/3/02 1:25:10 pm)
    Reply Feedway Jams are what some folks refer to as Double Feeds.
    It was Police Firearms Instructor Massad Ayoob. A feedway jam is often refered to as a "double feed" and is usually caused by somebody slamming a magazine base against the palm of their hand before loading it into the grip frame. Over a long time, this will expand the magazine lips, due to the hammering effect of the top cartridge, and it will allow a cartridge to release prematurely, with the next round trying to release at the same time. I have seen a loaded cartridge eject upward and out of the pistol. The instance you cited of a fired case dropping back because of a loose extractor hook may also cause a feedway jam. It makes a neat class two jam. Immediate action is to drop the mag, clear the feedway and chember, insert a magazine and drop the slide. This is a common drill on police ranges.
    Never is a very long time, so don't think that you have seen it all. Spend a half century on police ranges and you might qualify for "been there; done that." After 56 long hard years as a LE Firearms Instructor, I'm just now getting there. And, if you survive that, there is the fact that you could be shot by a student. I'm a veteran of two visits to the E room with a gunshot wound from a student who could not take instruction.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (9/3/02 6:25:44 pm)
    Reply Re: Feedway Jams are what some folks refer to as Double Feed
    That's all good, but it ain't happening during mag changes. So, not the same thing.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/4/02 7:37:39 am)
    Re: Feedway Jams are what some folks refer to as Double Feed
    Stovepipe as a term has the same problem

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/4/02 9:20:04 am)
    Reply Re: Feedway Jams are what some folks refer to as Double Feed
    blame the damn chember
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.