The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded some 9mm lead today. And when I expanded the shells I noticed my wcc shells looked wavey. It was only with that brand. Is that normal? Or is that a sign of excess wear? The finished shell has a wave in the middle, it fits in barrel fine and drops out good. Ill post a picture if need be.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to adjust some dies!

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean adjust some dies. The set up was as stated in the die instructions. It was only on the wcc shells not any other ones. Clarify please.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
You are probably crimping too hard, thus causing the cases to bulge a little. It doesn't take a lot of crimp to hold a bullet in the case, and some semi-auto will almost no crimp at all. Post up some pictures.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
here they are they are just a bit wavey. The crimp is .003 smaller than before crimp.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did try that they all drop in and drop out. I was having problems earlier with rounds that didn't fit, but I seem to have solved that with some help. I just thought it might be a sign of fatigue or something.

· Registered
340 Posts
I've seen that wavy thing happen during the expansion operation. Some brass does it, some doesn't. I've seen it with Federal brass in .380acp. more than any other. If they drop in and out OK, you should be good.

· Registered
882 Posts
I've some similar waves on my Fed cases loading plated bullets but not as noticeable. But I'm not crimping anywhere near as hard as you are. What's the diameter on your crimps?

· Registered
1,327 Posts
The diameter of the finished cartrige should equal the diameter of your bullet + 2x the thickness of your brass casing at the mouth. If it is less you are deforming the bullet. That shiny ring around your case mouth tells a story of excess crimping. Taper crimping does not mean there is a guerilla grip of force applied to the brass. Lighten up on the crimp, I bet you find a significant improvement in accuracy to boot.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The wave is there before the crimp. And the the crimp is .377. Ill back out die one turn and see what happens. The wave happens after I expand the shell to accept the bullet.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
When you flare the case mouth, it should be just enough to notice, this will get the bullet started with out shaving it. Your crimp should be crisp, but not to firm. Back out on the crimp die untill you have none, then tighten it down untill you have noticeable crimp. First picture is a good crimp, second isn't. Borrowed photos, not my own.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
45,392 Posts
The word CRIMP keeps coming up and that is fine, but keep in mind that a 9mm cartridge does not really need a heavy crimp. You just need to close that "bell mouth" you put on the brass in the previous operation.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die, even on the 9mm, and all it basically does is shuts that mouth.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Well said!

· Registered
921 Posts
Another thought- the waves may just be the lube groove in the bullet showing through some thin brass. As AR guy stated, the waves are there before the final crimp.

AR Guy can you place an unseated bullet next to a finished cartridge and snap a pic? If the waves line up with the lube groove, then there is your answer and likely you've done everything perfect.

(GREAT pics, btw!)

· Banned
2,751 Posts
The 9mm is a tapered case, the sizing die is not. This results in a "hour glass" "wavy" or bulge when the bullet is seated. Nothing to worry about and is normal.
What you are seeing in your wave is the bullet and the lube ring in the middle.
If they fit the barrel, shoot em, they are fine.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone.

· Registered
570 Posts
As posted above, you should only swage the mouth open enough to start the bullet about 1/32". If the bulge is there before you crimp the bullet, it makes me think you are swageing way to much and crushing the case. The 1/8" wide scaring around your case mouth is caused by over crimping, back off a little. I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Deacon_Man

· Registered
5,350 Posts
It is normal for reloaded 9MM to have that little bulge. The first time I noticed it I thought something was wrong, called Lee, they said it was normal but if I was concerned to sent the die and and empty case and they would ream it out for me. I did and they did. Trouble was the bullet would now just fall down into the shell when reloading, so I wound up buying a new sizing die. All my reloaded 9MM brass still has that little bulge, but they shoot just fine. I have checked other makers and other reloading dies and sure enough it is normal. Steve4102 is absolutely correct, I have notice some brass will show more than others but they all will have to some degree.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.