The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went ahead and ordered a new RIA Tactical today. 5", .45, no rail. Wanted the SS or nickel, whichever it is, but no one could locate one. Not expecting a top end product, but useable none the less. Most people seem to find them adequate, a few have had complaints of course. I have a few days before it gets here, so now I gotta get its room ready. I really dont care for re-arranging the living quarters of the other occupants, but im sure theyll welcome the new face just the same.

·
Administrator
32,489 Posts
Congrats on the new addition.

Nothing wrong with the RIA 1911's.

Just remember to use good mags.

And of course, we will be expecting a range report. :)

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have the rock island tactical with the full length rail and it is one of the best 1911s I own and I own a bunch of them. I have fed it everything I know to feed it and have used every type of magazine I have and have limp wristed it, I have fired it up side down, I have stacked different brands of ammo in different mags and all it does is shoot great. It never fails, not ever. And, its as accurate as anything else. So, enjoy, you bought a good one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive got several good mags, and plenty of food for it, no worries there. Ive heard several times that the supplied mag is pretty much junk. I plan on polishing most of the internals, as well as giving the trigger some attn. Cant have it being any different than the others in that dept. The want for another is really a buddy's dad's fault. He just got a new Taurus. It seems real nice, but i decided to go with RIA instead. For some reason, since he just got another 1911, I felt it was a good idea for me also. Im really impressed with most reports of RIA owners, few have had complaints, and most all are impressed with their accuracy. Im hoping not to be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have a couple of Taurus 1911s and I can honestly say that this rock island tactical is much better than the taurus. My trigger is heavy, but other than a heavy trigger, I wouldnt trade my tactical in on a brand spankin new taurus...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It showed up early, so had to go pick it up on my way to work. After the initially inspection and once-over, I've gotta say I'm impressed. Action is snot-on-a-porceline-doorknob, trigger is a lot nicer than expected, and overall finish is smooth and even. Didnt realize it came with full length guide rod. Sights appear to be adequate too. Cant figure out how to post pics from this phone, wont let me 'select file. So far, so good.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I have a Citadel (which is an RIA subsidiary) - no problems at all with it after I polished the feed ramps. Last time I took it out I chased a coke can up the hill with it from around 50 ft. Currently it has around 600 rounds through it. Never had an FTF or FTE either. It even likes my milsup WWII .45 mags.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Shouldnt have to polish the feed ramp on that tactical. Mine came looking like glass. Rock Island is no longer a secondary gun maker....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was finally able to take it out today and try it out. Shot about 50 thru it with hiccups at all. Ranges were from 12yds to 25yds. Cant say grouping size, was shooting up an old oil filter (approx 4"x5"). Itd get hit and bounce around some so range never really stayed consistant. Had a few misses of course, but those were just barely misses. Most shots were from knelt down and fairly supported on the deck rail. Ended up runnin 3 1911s and all 3 were seldom missing. (RIA, Auto Ordnance, and Taurus) Then broke out a G19, Sig .40 ( p239 maybe? something like that), and an XD40 Service. The XD had the most misses but in its defense, its not fond of that particlar load anyway. All in all, was lots of fun, ended up killing 3 old filters. And managed not to lose a single case.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I wish I could shoot and not loose cases! I've tried tarps, brass catchers of severl makes, including one of my own, nothin' works for me! They just disapear in the grass! Down load those pics to your computer, and then try posting them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts