The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the maker is Tanfoglio. Thinking of getting a 10mm, maybe Witness Elite, and was looking at some of their models, and some were quite nice looking. But I'm not sure of what kind of quality from them.

·
Super Moderator
42,036 Posts
I have only owned one of them - several years ago. I had the Witness .45 ACP and it is one of those guns I wish I still had. I found that the quality was as good if not better than many American made guns. I would not hesitate owning another one, just can't afford to buy one now days!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Tanfoglio pistol are very nice, basically they are copies of the CZ 75 with about the same ergonomics. Fit and finish is a bit above the (modern) CZ pistols, personally I like them a lot.

From what I see online the service of EAA is somewhat lacking, you may want to look into that.
O.t.o.h., how often do you need service on a good pistol.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. And I do love my CZ P01. Well if I pass my cert test I'm due for a present so I'll have to look seriously at one of these.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Back in the 1980's Tanfoglio guns were imported by FIE as a CZ75 clone. The gun was shiny and worked OK but there was something wrong with it as the empties dribbled out of the gun and fell to my feet. But it didn't fail to shoot. It eventually broke the slide where the plate that retains the firing pin had no place to seat as that part of the slide had broken off (WHAT???). FIE was out of business and there was no distributor or parts in America. I turned the broken pistol into the local police as it was registered gun.

In the late 1990's EAA had introduced the Witness guns and the 45ACP Witness reached out to me. I really wanted a CZ 97B but the Communist Block Embargo did not allow CZ importation. All that changed around 2000 and the CZ 97B became available. I bought the CZ 97B immediately. On many occasions I have taken both to the range and directly compared them. Neither had an edge on the other for fit and finish, reliability, or accuracy in my hands. So things changed over time with Tanfoglio.

Today I'd only buy a real CZ and not a clone. I have three real CZ handguns (75B. 97B, and 75 Tactical Sport) and all are jewels to keep forever.

As for EAA Witness guns, people who report here are a mixed bunch. Some say they are great and other diss them. I guess it depends totally on the specific gun. That is to say, their quality control is variable gun to gun. Mine is fine but others...not so much, apparently. CZ does not have this problem but they are not cheap. I think them worth every penny but others might disagree. I have CZ rifles and their shotgun and all are superior to any other guns in there respective classes.

That's my experience and yours may differ.

LDBennett

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If CZ made a 10mm they would be a primary option, but they don't as far as I can see on their website. I have a CZ P01 but at this point I don't really need another CZ 9mm though I'm sure I"ll get another down the line.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
AaronW:

I was an original owner of the 10mm Colt Delta Elite the very year it came out. After many reloading experiments I ended reloading the ammo to about the same power level as 45ACP or, a better comparison, 40S&W (10mm Short, for all practical purposes). The gun was a lot more controllable and I shot it much better at those levels than the rough 10mm levels. 10mm is a magnum pressure level cartridges. I think it too powerful for fun with its 180 to 200 grain bullets. I have many Magnum level guns but this 10mm twist in the hand when full loaded. In short, it is not fun to target shoot at full power levels. Now, if you need it for hunting that is a different matter. I suggest you re-assess your needs to determine if you really need the power of 10mm. In the end it is your choice regardless of whatever I may think.

LDBennett

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a witness .45 acp compact with a ported barrel. Fit and finish was good and also the function. This was my first concealed carry gun. The only problem with mine was that the fixed sights were off by about 3-4 inches at 7 yards. This was the only gun I have traded in. It went right back to the LGS I bought it from. Basically the way I look at it was that I rented it for 10 years for $8/yr and it was a good down payment on my Remington r1 1911.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'm getting it specifically for its magnum level power. I'm tossing around a few ideas. Want something with more oomph for out hiking. Have a .357 SAA clone but would like a semi-auto with some power. Knowing me I'll dig into all this stuff then end up with a S&W snubbie in .38 spl to carry around the city. :lol:

If you really want a 10mm, look at Rock Island. They make a good gun for the money. Probably the cheapest 1911 10mm out there.
I have seen one of those and liked it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The Tanfoglio Force pistol has been imported in the past by FIE, Excam and Springfield Armory, as well as European American Armory. They were sold at the TZ75, TA90 and Springfield P-9 before being known as the Witness. I have had several in the past. Solid, dependable sidearms, sometimes known as the CZ Improved for the changes in the lockwork. That WAS before the small/large frame change. I was told the earlier large frame 10mm has a habit of cracking, disremember if it was frame or slide. I did catch that was fixed with the newer ones.
I don't own any Tanfoglios today, just CZs, but I wouldn't mind having another one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've got a few of these in 9mm.
First tging to note with tanfoglio pistols is that they make various cz clones for various budgets.
An economy 9mm can be had for 250 all day, brand new, there is also a turkish counterpart, Sar, Canick used to make some, Tristar is another.
They all have some higher end models too, there is a 10mm hunter with 6 inch barrel ive had my eye on for some time, runs almoast 1k, and they go beyond that to match pistols.

In my experience i have an older all steel TZ75, as mentioned previously it has week ejection, I've tinkered with it some and it improved a bit, been a while, but not too confident in it.

A cheap polimer gun i bought brand new ran fine for a while thou last i used it seemed to have some ftf on the first rack, could have been the ammo or some new mags, or because it hadnt been cleaned in a while, i have to take it out again.

They are a nice budget friendly option, the more expensive ones should be better, in theory, but i doubt by much, the cz design is pretty acurate to begin with, im not complaining, i like them, even with the above mentioned, but i dont mind tinkering at all.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In 10mm I own the Witness Hunter model. It disappeared for a short while but now I see a large supply online, and even more Witness models (probably about 8 models if not more) in quantity. I think the quality is first rate--materials, fit and finish are excellent on this, one of their higher end models. I plan to buy another Witness, the compact in steel, in 10mm very soon.

The Hunter has (or at least mine has) a two-piece guide rod, with the two pieces pinned together. The pin sheared and guide rod fell out. I wrote EAA and they had a replacement to me in a couple of days, no problems. I told them I only needed the pin, as the two guide rod components themselves were undamaged--but I guess it was preferable for them to just send a whole new guide rod assembly. Anyway, I thought it was great customer service in that it was fast and easy and solved my issue.

I don't know about their polymer products, but what I find appealing is that you can have polymer and hammer both--no need to go striker just because you might want polymer. I think they may be among the few folks, if not the only ones, to offer that important choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just noticed someone recommended the Rock Island, and I should say that I own the full size double stack 1911. I think this goes by various names including the Ultra HC, and the frame itself is stamped "1911 A2 FS Tact. II", although, despite the 'Tact.' on the frame, this one has no accessory rail, thank goodness.

It is an all-steel 1911 with the Caspian-type double wide, and in my opinion it's made very well. After extensive hand 'melting' back around the ambi safety, mag well and grip safety, it is for me and my medium hands, very comfy and a pleasure to shoot. It is heavy--and with a full load in the mag, even heavier. But, if you shoot much 10, you come to enjoy mass in the hand. If you feel 'standard 1911' is an advantage or if that has an appeal, then I'd say yes, this is a recommended look, for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts