The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Here is a peculiar example of experimental muzzle-loading percussion rifle.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Unlike common muzzle-loaders, the gun has its percussion nipple in the center of its receiver end.
3.JPG

Another distinctive feature of the gun is grip safety lever on the upper tang.
5.jpg

We need to securely grasp the lever when pulling the trigger. In order to avoid blowback of combustion gas from the percussion nipple, the hammer is locked in the forward position while the safety lever is held.

4.JPG

When disassembling the gun, the action-mechanism can be detached from the stock by unscrewing two knobs on each end of trigger-guard. The barrel is secured to the stock with barrel bands. So, the barrel and the action can be detached from the stock without using any tools.

6.JPG

The gun’s rear sight is flip-type and has three sight leaves for different range.

7.jpg

The gun has a marking which can be read as “MORAV” or “MORAY” under the barrel and also a proof marking of “crown” and “M”.

When I bought this gun, they told me that the gun is Swiss made. However, most Swiss guns don’t have crown proof marking on them, and now I have no idea where and by whom the gun was manufactured. The gun is made in superb quality and looks like French made. Its buttstock has Tyrolean-type shoulder rest.

8.JPG

The barrel is .51 Cal (13mm) bore with five grooves of rifling, equipped with a bayonet-lug. So, I think it is experimentally manufactured for military use.

I hope someone has more information about the gun…??

·
Premium Member
12,429 Posts
Looks as if some other proofs were sanded off in a very aggressive cleaning. I think I see traces of some others and, in front of the leaf sight there appears to be a laminate pattern still visible. Boy, other than that I don't have a clue

Reactions: Grizzley1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

Thank you for your interest in this gun and for your opinions.
I found a website talking about "MORAY", a gunsmith in Belgium.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies m/a moray gb.htm

Belgian gunmakers usually stamped a "crown" and an initial of their company name, like the one found on this experimental rifle.

However, I'm still looking for definitive information supporting that this experimental gun was made by this Belgian gunsmith.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts