Extractor Tuning For Dummies???

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/01 1:36:54 pm)
    Reply Extractor Tuning For Dummies???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay Guys & Gals, I've got a dent in the middle of my forehead from all the hits of 45 brass coming from my Gold Cup. How do you tune the extractor to eject the brass where you want it??

Help, before I'm permanently disfigured!!

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/01 7:48:29 pm)
    Reply Re: Extractor Tuning For Dummies???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not an expert,but is the tension too little ??
    Remove slide from frame andslide a loaded round under the extractor..If it stays there by it self when you turn the slide on its side it should be alright...If it falls out you must increase tension.. Remove the extractor and bend it a bit ,put back and try the bullet thing again..Do this till you get the bullet to stay in place..Just remember that too much is not good also..
    Another thing is if the fireing pin stop is too loose and lets the extractor turn in its slot..This too causes brass to fly all over..
    If this is the problem you must get an oversized stop and fit
    it..You or your gunsmith..
    Hope this was a help..

TYRVR
    (7/19/01 8:18:57 pm)
    You also might try filing the ejector so the angle on top is less acute,and add A shock-buff,
    If Heaven ain't got A loading bench.....I'm going to Hell,

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/19/01 11:18:46 pm)
    Tuck, the standard extractor has little or no camming surface to meet the rim of the case as it is forced up under the extractor. Use a square swiss pattern file to round the bottom edge of the extractor slot. The round should go from the center of the extractor to the bottom outside edge. Buff the entire head of the extractor on a hard cotton buffing wheel with red or green buffing compound.
    Or you can buy and install a McCormick or Wilson extractor and cure the problem.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/01 6:17:36 am)
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'll give it a try.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/01 9:52:43 pm)
    Tuck, I have an extra 70 series, Wilson Extractor, I'm not using,if you want it "E" me and I'll drop it in an envelope to ya, no charge. See profile for address
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 7/20/01 10:53:46 pm

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/01 7:36:46 am)
    BlackGun, Thanks a lot for the offer on the extractor! I was just getting ready to order one.

Folks, This is one of the things that makes TFF a great site to be a member of!

A member steps forward to help another!! Ain't it great!!

Thanks BlackGun!! Email on the way.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/01 12:52:49 pm)
    Don check your snail mail, in about 3 or 4 days. If you need instructions on installing it, it only takes five minutes, let me know. AntiqueDr taught me over e-mail!
    Steve
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 7/21/01 8:50:20 pm

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/25/01 12:51:53 pm)
    Steve, I got the extractor last night and got it installed. I'll try to shoot it today. It's raining down here right now and i'M SUPPOSED to be getting ready for a trip to Florida tomorrow, but i'm going to try to shoot it this afternoon. Thanks again.

Sam, Lot of difference between the Gold Cup and Wilson extractor. I see where you were talking about rounding the claw. I'm going to experiment doing this to the GC extractor as you described.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 7/25/01 1:57:40 pm

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/25/01 10:50:00 pm)
    Tuck, just go slow and don't take off to much metal. You can't put it back.

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/2/01 6:35:22 am)
    The new Wilson extractor worked great!! All empties went in front of and to my right. Very easy to gather up and no mark of the beast on the forehead!

BG, Thanks for the extractor!

erwinee
    (9/7/01 1:17:37 am)
    hey tuck,

what did you mean when you said "I see where you were talking about rounding the claw."

how does this apply to tuning the extractor?

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/13/01 8:03:15 pm)
    I can't believe I missed this one. Mine has been dumping brass on my head occasionally too....

I'll take it apart and play with it tonight...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/13/01 10:37:59 pm)
    Yours comes apart before you play with it????, hum.....
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 11:49:00 pm)
    Yeah LTS, but at least the .45 doesn't BITE ME when I do.....

Oh, you weren't talking about the pistol...

"This is my rifle,
    This is my gun.
    This is for fighting,
    and this is for fun."

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 1:24:37 pm)
    Hey You! Yea You! You know who you are!

BITE ME
    BlackGUN