The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to try Boyds stocks for a long time, but I haven't found a stock that I really disliked enough until I got my A17. That factory plastic stock just feels a bit cheap to me. So, I bit the bullet and got the sky laminate featherweight thumbhole stock. I got the standard 13-3/4" length of pull and no other added options. I got it today and sighted in the rifle with the new stock and remounted scope that I lowered a bit. It took substantially more rounds than I'd like to admit to settle in on a final group that I liked at 35 rounds total. It's a semi-auto, slim barrel and I am not a fan of the Bushnell 4-12x40 AO scope that I have mounted on it like I love my Vortex scopes. I think I'm going to end up with a Vortex on this rifle too because the adjustments on the Bushnell were not as I expected. The scope adjustments ate most of the ammo. Typically, Vortex scopes take me 10 rounds to zero and 5 additional for a group. I was shooting the A17 17 grain ammo and wanted 0.5" or so high at 50 yards since the A17 ammo is pretty hot compared to standard .17 HMR ammo. Anyway, the pictures are posted below. The stock may not be everyone's taste, but that's alright. I like it! :)

Factory Stock

Boyds Stock

Shooting Setup

Final Group

With the flyer, center-to-center is 0.79". I felt myself pull the flyer, so that's all me.

Throw the flyer out and the group shrinks to 0.45". I'm sure it can be improved. Maybe not by me, but it can be improved.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!!! you lucky fellow. looks mighty good to me. now you have something to talk about for a long time. and be proud of.

rick
Thanks, Rick! I think it looks pretty good and the rifle shoots better than I'm capable, so that's also a good thing! :)

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Did the same thing with my Marlin 917V, the Boyds Thumbhole made a huge difference! I went with a 4-12X Leupold at first, then swapped it out to an older Tasco 8-32x Target scope, with the fine dot/crosshairs, and 6" sunshade. Scope is almost as long as the gun. Downside to the 32x, every heart beat bounces that dot. Upside, don't need a spotting scope, and I can watch the target explode.:)

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@TRAP55, I might stay with a 4-12 or as high as a 4-16 or 6-18 (doubtful), but I can see my heartbeat at 12X. I can't imagine 32X. :oops: I just don't like the scope because it's not predictable on adjustments. When I look at my shots, I'm figuring out how many clicks that is at 50 yards. If the math doesn't work, the scope's lying to me. With the Vortex scopes, the math seems to work.

As for the stock, I was never able to sight in that rifle very well with the factory stock with the same scope. The stock seems like an improvement. I need to lay off for a while though. I've been shooting like ammo's plentiful. :oops:

@KenK/84Bravo, you wanted to see the other .17s. Well, here's the last one. I don't have any groups to show from it, but it is very accurate. I can't quantify very without a target though. Maybe one day...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I've been on this thread twice now. Once earlier this eve. when I got home around 7:30ish, the other just now when I got an alert that you had mentioned me. My Internet "Service," is so pathetic, your photo's will not load. My "Service," is better in the AM. Will try and take a look then. 👍

Samsung Galaxy TabE Verizon dedicated 4G connectivity Tablet. 😒

Reactions: ponycar17

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@TRAP55, I did some measuring after I posted this. A 4-12x50 or 4-16x50 scope that I like won't fit or will be a marginal fit with my current ring height. The 4-16x50 would require 30mm rings too. I don't want to go higher either. A 4-12x40 Crossfire II would fit just fine, but I have a problem with paying only $10 less for a 40mm scope over a 50mm scope. So, a 6-18x44 will fit with 3mm of clearance to the barrel with my current mounts. I guess I'm going that route. I'm silly enough to have that scope on a 10/22 bull barrel gun, so it's less ridiculous to have it on a .17 HMR. Now, I just have to hope that my wife doesn't suddenly express an interest in shooting and have me set up the targets down range. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Hah, I robbed a 6-18 off my 10/22 for after the 4-12, then a friend had the Vintage Tasco new in the box, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I don't have sand bags at 32X, there isn't much "precision" that's going to happen. I'll see if I can get some pics of it here soon.
Have you tried any of the no lead "GREEN" ammo yet? Sister sent me a couple of boxes I've yet to try. I've noticed bigger "explosions" with hits from the ballistic tips, then I get with the TNT hollow points.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah, I robbed a 6-18 off my 10/22 for after the 4-12, then a friend had the Vintage Tasco new in the box, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I don't have sand bags at 32X, there isn't much "precision" that's going to happen. I'll see if I can get some pics of it here soon.
Have you tried any of the no lead "GREEN" ammo yet? Sister sent me a couple of boxes I've yet to try. I've noticed bigger "explosions" with hits from the ballistic tips, then I get with the TNT hollow points.
I have one box of the Green stuff, but haven't shot any of it. Online videos show the accuracy not being as good, probably due to length/weight with comparable barrel twist rates. The ballistic tips definitely shatter on impact more than any other round. I've only compared them with water bottles, but the TNTs and Gamepoints stay together and penetrate more. The ballistic tips dump all their energy within an inch or so. I've shot old chicken eggs with the ballistic tips and the round turned into shrapnel within the depth of the egg, so much so that the fragments partially shredded a shoe box that the egg was sitting on. I wouldn't go coyote hunting with a ballistic tip round based on what I've seen in inanimate objects.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I took a half day today and swapped the scope over to a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44mm AO. I was wrong in my eyeball measurements. There was 3mm of gap between the scope and the barrel once I got it mounted. Close enough... I used a boresighter to try and match the scopes before unmounting and after mounting. I then verified with a laser. It took 10 rounds to get the scope dialed in and I finished with a 5 round group. The final group measured roughly 1/2" at 50 yards center-to-center. Much better... :love:

Boresighted Bushnell at 6X

Boresighted Vortex at 6X

Verified with the laser...

10 rounds of CCI A17 to dial in the scope...

Final 5 round group...

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
Nice setup and nice shooting. I like those Vortex Crossfire II scopes, I have two rifles with them mounted on. I don't remember what rifles they are on, though.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Ran out of water bottles, and someone had a couple of full cans of Diet Pepsi. FYI....if you shoot full soda cans, make sure there's some distance between you and the can. Don't bother asking how I know that.
My best group at 100yrds was almost covered by a dime. That's when I discovered two accuracy killers with the .17. Crosswind of any kind, and copper fouled bore, which I've gathered is worse in the Marlin than the Savage. At about 40-45 rounds, starting with a clean barrel, the group starts to open up. Quick scrub with bore solvent and bronze brush, and it's right back to zero.
It's funny I had no interest in this caliber, at all. My thought was, if I want to hunt grasshoppers or field mice, I'll use my pellet gun. The Marlin was bought with the plan to fix the garbage trigger, and sell it for another project, and the price was so cheap, I couldn't say no. My first mistake was test firing it after I worked the trigger, one shot and I was hooked. A week later, I had a brick of ammo, the Boyds stock, a bipod, rings and scopes. Any time I have the thought of one in a semi auto, I get a mental image of me on a street corner, holding a cardboard sign that says, "Will work for .17hmr ammo". :giggle:
My Bushnell Bore sighter has arbors from .22 to .45, and so far, can't find a .17 without buying the whole arbor kit. Know where I can get one?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
FYI....if you shoot full soda cans, make sure there's some distance between you and the can. Don't bother asking how I know that.
I don't have to ask how you know that having shot one with a .22-250, the remains of the bottom of the can had the tree rings of the stump it was sitting on "die stamped" into it. the rest of the can (shrapnel) was all over the place. The blast radius was impressive. I was about a hundred yards out so I didn't get a pepsi bath.

Ponycar, that rifle looks sweet and shoots as good as it looks. :)

Reactions: ponycar17

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Grizz, even with the soda rain, still made me giggle like a little girl. A couple of guys down the line from us, yelled out "WTH was that?!". I've shot water jugs with a wide assortment of calibers, but that tiny mouse bullet on a soda can was the most impressive. The second can was moved out past the 50yrd line!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
.17HMR = The Vaporizer.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Bushnell Bore sighter has arbors from .22 to .45, and so far, can't find a .17 without buying the whole arbor kit. Know where I can get one?
Mine is a cheap Simmons kit and came with an arbor labeled .177. To be honest, I didn't realize it had one that small until this afternoon when I started messing with the scope swap. At first, I was just going to use the laser. I don't remember the price of the kit, but I think it was probably in the $30 range 10+ years ago... maybe... :unsure:

Yeah, the .17 is a fun little round. It's only one of a couple of rounds I've been playing with in the past month. I guess the lack of the kids' extracurricular activities has given me a little time to play. The next task is getting my 2nd 10/22 set up to shoot better than the Simmons scope that's on it is capable of doing. This goofing around will be over soon enough as band and softball start back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts