The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to find out as much info.as i can on my 12ga. model25 sxs, it is in decent shape has alot of wear and tear on the stock, and forearm ,i reckon you could say most of the bluing is gone off it ,but is functional ,both hammers work as well as the triggers, it breaks down good and is still tight when closed, i was trying to find out when and where it was made along with what it might be worth ,so i can see if i got it for a good price. thanks for any info atall

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Well, you are going to have to pull the forearm and check for proof marks. If there are British proof marks such as RP or NP over a crown it was made by an English maker , Jason Bourne who made shotguns for export, primarily to South Africa and India. If there are no Proof marks then it was likely made by Crescent Firearm Co. I found both results, the one stating Crescent was Shotgun World. Pull the fore arm and let us know, I arm really curious about this one. ( I also found a blurb about Burgess F.A. making it, I kinder doubt that ). Please get back to us with all the markings ( including if it is also marked XL something ) or the lack of markings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that info., it has a crown with Rp on it, and is also marked IXL 25, i was thinking this was the model no. it has alot of ingravings on the barrel .and on the butplate, i have been trying to put the pics i have of it on here but for some reason i cant put them up on here or my albums here but i can email them from where they are on my computer, do you have an idea of about how old it might be? thanks

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Then your shotgun is not a Crescent but a Jason Borne, London, the proof marks are from Birmingham Proof house, someone better versed in proof marks will have to furnish more information on the exact dates. Borne made good to excellant shotguns for the middle class,most were for export. I believe your shotgun was made prior to the Great War (WWI) and probably has Damascus or Stubb Twist steel barrels. there are those who say these 100 year old welded steel barrels are safe, and those who say they are potential grenades. Both sides have good arguments going, me, I go with the grenade theory but hey , who am I. If you google F.A.Loomis auction sites you will get an ideal of value of your XL25, about twice s much as a Crescent. Best I can do, others?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info again, i will goggle it, it does have a damasscus barrel on it ,{ well 2 of them ,lol} ,it does have a bp under it ,i have posted alot of pics on here of some of my other guns ,i just cant figure out why i cant get these to upload now but will keep trying

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.