FA Hand Deprimer, Followup

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by daboone, Oct 1, 2016.

1. daboone

daboone Member

As a result of this thread: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-hand-deprimer-tool.164392/ I decided to order this Platinum Series Hand Deprimer.

Cons:
    The first thing that I noticed right out of the box was the Mag Collet was defective. The base ring was incomplete and thus would not securely stay fastened to the units body where it's supposed to be stored.

The second thing I noticed was during the initial use. While doing 800 crimped 223R cases about 1 in 10 primers were not being captured when holding the unit horizontally. The remedy was simply aiming it towards my feet.

Pros:
    Later I called the Battenfield number I found online and talk to a very pleasant gentleman. He took my name and address and is shipping me replacement collets. He also ask me how I like it. I told him about the spent primer containment problem. He said he would notify product development. It was nice to talk to a CS agent who, like RCBS and Dillon didn't flinch but just wanted to replace the defect and took interest in my comments.

Final appraisal:
    I really like it. While doing the 223R cases my 70 year old hand and fingers got tired. For me this hand deprimer is easier and faster to use than the Harvey but no less fatiguing. It also doesn't pinch my fingers which the Harver sometime does.

The collet retainer cap occasionally needed to be loosened or tightened. No big deal but something I noticed.

I ended up wrapping the handle and the "trigger" with some tennis racket tape which help smooth out the grip. This didn't reduce the fatigue but it just didn't feel as abrasive to my old arthritic hands which made it easier to pop out the spent primers.

woolleyworm and crystalphoto like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I ordered one yesterday. Hoping that the one I get does not have the same problems but I may have to get to phone number from you.

I do not plan to use it on .223 brass, since I I deprime and resize them before I do the wet tumbling. My plans are for doing only pistol brass with it, at least for now,

woolleyworm, crystalphoto and daboone like this.

3. daboone

daboone Member

Here is the contact info I used:
    Mailing Address
    Battenfeld Technologies
    2501 Lemone Industrial Blvd.
    Columbia, MO 65201

Phone / Fax
    Phone: (573) 445-9200

Fax: (573) 446-6606

4. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

I bought mine at Cabela's and there have been no problems with it. All the Collets are perfect. For my uses I only need the middle sized collet anyway.

woolleyworm likes this.
  5. gdmoody

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. I sat there yesterday watching TV and deprimed at least a hundred 9mm cases. The only brass that I have used it on, so far, is 9mm, .380, .40 S&W, .45, .38 Spec, and .357. It is really quite fun to use. It works very well and like Jay, I have only used the middle sized collet. That middle size one seems to work well for everything I shoot.

woolleyworm and dbcooper like this.
  6. daboone

daboone Member

Has anyone else noticed some of the primers are not being captured? I just wish it captured 100% of the primers and not 90%. Those few errant spent primers are difficult to track down unless barefoot.;)
    I really like using this FA deprimer while watching TV especially now that I've wrapped the handle and trigger with tennis racket tape.

woolleyworm and rawright54 like this.
  7. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problem with spent primer capture. But then I have not tried it with the capture tube pointing in an upward direction. Only level or slightly downward.

woolleyworm and dbcooper like this.
  8. gdmoody

I have found that if I get in a hurry there are a few that kinda pop out before going in the little tube. I've probably deprimed five or six hundred pieces of brass so far and I have had maybe two dozen primers that didn't make it into the hole. I studied it and see that if the "depriming arm" pops up too quickly the primers will kinda fly off into who knows where.

9. VHoward

VHoward Well-Known Member

I had the occasional spent primer go where it wasn't supposed to only when holding it level. I now just hold it so it points down a little and don't have that problem.

10. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

I have been giving mine a real work out the last 3 days, 300 38Special, 300 30 Carbine, 400 Milsurp 30-06 Springfield. It sure gives a work out to the hands. I have had a few problems with some of the 30-06 and the Sealed Crimped Primers. By the time I got done with what I have done so far, I knocked the primer cup off a dozen times leaving my reloading room floor a spent primer mine field with no safe crossing.

gdmoody likes this.