The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, This is my first question I've ever asked in a forum so if you need more Info just ask. Also thanks for any and all help. So I purchased this FABRICA DE ITAJUBA- BRASIL in caliber 30-06 ( marked on the barrel) about a year and a half ago. I put it up and never messes with it. Today I decided to pull it out and shoot some. Every time I pull the trigger all I get it a click. I know absolutely nothing about this rifle other that the caliber a d that is been "Modernized" with a new synthetic stock. The guy I bought it from said it shoots great so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Also on another note the gun came with a separate barrel that is supposedly just supposed to be able to be screwed Into the receiver. The markings on the other barrel are... M1938 TURKISH 8MM GEORGIA VT. Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated but I'm mostly concerned about being able to shoot the 30-06. Thanks for all of your help, sorry for the jumbled mess I've made. Good day!

·
Super Moderator
8,941 Posts
Best guess from your description, you have a Brazilian M954 Mauser Short Rifle made at the Itajuba arsenal in the 1950's. With some photos, I think we can figure the function problem. The ammo used could be another problem, a clear photo of the cartridge base "head stamp" will ID what it is.
The spare barrel is from a Turk 8x57 Mauser, and it won't thread into your action. They are both Model 98 Large Ring Mauser designs, but the Ankara Turk receivers used a small ring barrel thread.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Your question may get moved to the Technical area but in the meantime it would help if you posted some close up hi resolution photos so we can help you better. Especially photos of the bolt, action and receiver area and any markings on the gun. The gun was probably originally made by IMBEL of Brazil.

·
Super Moderator
47,221 Posts
If you can post those good clear pictures of the gun, taken in natural light, it would help the experts to see exactly what you have. These pictures need to be of the whole rifle, both sides, top and bottom, to include close up shots of every marking on the rifle.

I am moving this to the "Ask the Pro's" forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best guess from your description, you have a Brazilian M954 Mauser Short Rifle made at the Itajuba arsenal in the 1950's. With some photos, I think we can figure the function problem. The ammo used could be another problem, a clear photo of the cartridge base "head stamp" will ID what it is.
The spare barrel is from a Turk 8x57 Mauser, and it won't thread into your action. They are both Model 98 Large Ring Mauser designs, but the Ankara Turk receivers used a small ring barrel thread.
I posted some photos. To clarify I was attempting to fire modern Federal 30-06 150gr

·
Premium Member
22,719 Posts
The Federal should be fine, now the question of why it didn't go off. Was there any marks on the primers of the rounds that didn't fire?
I have had a model 70 that had that problem a few years after i gave it to my nephew He had it about 4 years and complained about it not firing. So i took the bolt apart. Firing pin and spring had become rusted and the bolt housing needed a good cleaning. I showed him how to clean it and so far he hasn't had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,941 Posts
Unless the "work around" was known, I'll bet that bolt hasn't been apart since the scope was mounted. The rifle has some good potential, but that ATI stuff needs to go, and a low scope safety change, so it actually ha a working safety. Got some concerns about the scope base mounting screw locations on the receiver ring, and where that rear screw hole was drilled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Federal should be fine, now the question of why it didn't go off. Was there any marks on the primers of the rounds that didn't fire?
Nope, no firing pin marks on the primer at all.

I have had a model 70 that had that problem a few years after i gave it to my nephew He had it about 4 years and complained about it not firing. So i took the bolt apart. Firing pin and spring had become rusted and the bolt housing needed a good cleaning. I showed him how to clean it and so far he hasn't had any problems.
I will try that. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,941 Posts
Now you need to see if the tip of the firing pin is still there, and that requires disassembly of the bolt. That, requires the bolt being cocked, and the safety at 12 oclock, which ain't going to happen with the scope in the the way. It can be done once removed from the action, just not as easy. I'll dig up some pics showing you how, and post the later, right now I'm late for dinner!

·
Super Moderator
8,941 Posts
Hawg, yours was done right, I'm not even sure if the one piece mount on his, is even for a Mauser. The hole in the rear receiver bridge isn't that critical for placement, but the rear hole on the front receiver ring is. You don't want it near the top locking lug face.
@gleonard2001 , Remove the bolt, and follow these instructions to re-cock it so it can be disassembled. Let me know if these links work.
Disassembly:

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I took a good guess, so I'm glad it was only you I confused, and not both of us!:) Nice rifle, what chambering?
30-06, FN Columbian Mauser but there's not much left of the original rifle. Only the receiver, trigger guard and bolt and all of them have been reworked. I spent a fortune having it built back in the 90's and I might be able to sell it for 300.00 now but it's the best money I've ever spent on a hunting rifle. It does need a reblue tho.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
30-06, FN Columbian Mauser but there's not much left of the original rifle. Only the receiver, trigger guard and bolt and all of them have been reworked. I spent a fortune having it built back in the 90's and I might be able to sell it for 300.00 now but it's the best money I've ever spent on a hunting rifle. It does need a reblue tho.

Very nice rifle Hawg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.