Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE SHOTGUN

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dieter Prinsloo, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:56 AM.

1. Dieter Prinsloo

Dieter Prinsloo New Member

IMG_6185.JPG IMG_6187.JPG IMG_6188.JPG IMG_6190.JPG IMG_6191.JPG Hi all!
    I have a 12 Ga Double Barrel Shotgun that I inherited from my Grandfather and according to my Grandfather it belonged to his father. I have a few questions and concerns about the shotgun since I don't find any answers on Google. I have never shot with the shotgun before and don't remember my Grandfather shooting with it either since the stock is damaged.

My question(s) is the following:
    On the barrels and frame is the name "FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL-BELGIQUE" but on my license under 'make' it states "BROWNING". What is the real make of this shotgun?(Photos attached)
    When was this Shotgun manufactured? (I believe it might be 1924)

Then my MAIN concern is this... When I took the shotgun to a gunsmith to build a new stock the "expert" told me that this shotgun can only shoot BLACK POWDER rounds. I did some research on Google of the proof marks and the barrel do have Black Powder Proof proof marks, but I also believe it to have a Nitro Proof proof mark.
    Will this shotgun be able to shoot modern smokeless powder rounds without blowing up in my face? (View photos attached of proof marks)

Thanks in advance

~Dieter

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum! Thanks for posting some great pictures, I am sure the experts will be by momentarily to answer your questions.

Dieter Prinsloo likes this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Wirnsberger's "Directory of Proof Marks" says if the gauge mark, 12 in this instance, is enclosed within a diamond, as yours is, the gun should be examined by a competent gunsmith before firing with smokeless loads. Beyond that I can't tell you much.

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

FN Is Browning and Browning is FN. FN owns the name and markets its firearms in the US under the Browning name.