The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Fabrique Nationale Model 1922 32ACP this weekend and have a question about it. I believe it was made between late 1941 and 1944. This gun has a NICKEL finish. I can not find any information about the nickel finish online. I have taken the wooden grip off and find no traces of blueing anywhere. Is this finish a factory finish? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Can't say for sure, but the stamps look good. That's an indicator of original finish.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The FN 1910/22 was a military and police firearm, I don't think it was ever offered in nickel. Production stopped in 1944 and was resumed in 1946. If any were nickel it would have been after production was resumed. Me, myself and I, believe it was plated after the fact. Could be wrong, sure been wrong before.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I know I'd sure love to add one to my collection. I've bid on a few at auctions but they went out of my available price range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I got mine for $250 at my first gun auction. Along with a Colt Official Police in 38S, a Browning A5 Light Twelve semi auto 12g., a Winchester 16G pump, a Marlin slide action pump 12G and a Winchester single shot 12G. Very much looking forward to the next auction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I have contacted the "Browning historian" and he was unable to tell me if they were ever factory made with a nickel finish.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That gun has wartime German wooden grips and a Waffenamt stamp. The Germans were not bothering with nickel finish. OTOH, these guns were very cheap in the 1950's and 60's, nickel and chrome plating was more cheaply available than now, and many people thought it was an improvement compared to the drab or worn original finish. Anything can happen, but having that turn out to be factory nickel would be like winning the lottery.

From what I recall, FN 1910's (the same gun with a shorter grip and barrel) were offered with a factory nickel finish. The factory always left the trigger and safety catch blue (or black, IIRC). Pre-WWII FN 1922's were generally military or police guns, so offhand I don't know if the factory offered them in nickel.

BTW, FN made motorcycles back then. The nickel plating was done by the motorcycle works on an "if and when" basis, so pre-war nickel plated FN pistols are scarce.

All this is per my recollection of the books about FN pistols by Anthony Vanderlinden.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Very informative Lanrezac. It seems nobody has a definite answer though. I have seen one person say that the nickel finish was "scarcely" done (besides you). Seems I will have to continue doing some research. I doubt the it is an original finish, but I want to be certain before leaving it in my gun safe and forgetting about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had one drop in my lap recently, chrome with pearl grips. belonged to my friends grandmother. was looking for a clip for it. I"m sure as you know it will not fire without it. when she emptied the velvet bag I thought jewels were coming out, but to my surprise was two handfuls of rounds and the pistol, rough shape. rust from being in the bag all those years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts