The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago my grandfather passed and the only thing I wanted was his old shotgun.

There's a lot of history behind it, as I understand it my great-great grandfather purchased the gun new for his son in the early 1900s as a gift, who used it and taught his sons to shoot with it, and after some round-rosey with the brothers from hand to hand, and their kids hand to hand it landed in my grandfathers possession after all of his brothers passed.

My grandfather taught his boys with it, but none of them wanted it, they are big into guns and see it for it's collectors value which is less than my last visit for a day of shooting at the range.

I on the other hand don't care about collector's value, I care about the sentimental value which is why I turned down everything he had left us of worth.

When my grandmother was dying of cancer that was the only gun that he didn't sell to help with the medical bills.

Now to cut to the chase I had trials to get the weapon home, but in the end I have it and I'm ready to start giving it the attention he wanted to.

The fore stock is missing, a very sad moment in my childhood when I was showing my ass and threw the thing, that's something I'm going to have to try to fix somehow, and one of the things I'm trying to track down.

This is a Harrington & Richardson 1900 16 gauge break action s/n: 111636

What I'm looking to do is mod this gun into what my grandfather wanted all these years, I'm not paying someone to do it, it has to be by my hand, and I've known for the last 20 years that I would be the one to do it.

I've already started to clean the old girl up, and she's tight as the last day I plugged a rattler with her!

Once I took it down, there were no real pitting in the metal, just the regular blemishes you would come to expect.

I took it down some and threw some new blue on it just to start working the canvas, this is by no means where I'm leaving it.

Now that I've got it to a point where I'm not ashamed to show it

Here it is broken down

Everything on it is in great working order, the surface was rusted due to mishandling, but everything else is in great shape! A couple of nicks from age here and there, but the internals are strong and there's not a hint of slop in the pins. I would confidently fire this weapon again!

Shooting is not in this guns stars though, unless by some miracle I manage to have kids, this is going to be fated to either display on my wall or if one of my cousins will appreciate it as much as I do, I may pass it to them when it's modded right so they can keep up the tradition of shooting it with their kids.

For now, I need to learn how to engrave, and I'm thinking of using acid to do it, as I understand it's straight forward, dip the metal in wax, scratch away where you want the mark, don your protection and fill the negative space with acid.

He had some pretty hardcore ideas of what he wanted done, and in the end it will be a black shotgun with gold engraving and a fully engraved stock with the family name on it and scribe work.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of them to practice on as a warm-up before the big show. Like I have no clue how to take it down on the internals and I don't want to damage it. I was hoping that I would find the manual for it online but so far my google skills are a bit lacking.

I'm looking for any good information and insight anyone is willing to lend! This mod is pretty close to my heart and I'm not going to pull out the stops with it… so anything you could suggest would be appreciated!

So that's the opener, btw Hi! My name is Eric!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Looks good and a nice project. The big problem is the forearm. Along with rifle bolts ( people will remove the bolt to make a rifle safe and then forget where they hid it ) shotgun forearms are one of the most " lostest " items in the world. The wood part is no problem, it is only a piece of wood, the big thing is the metal attachments. I don't remember if the early H&R's are spring or screw attachment, if screw there is hope to have one made, if by hook and spring, good-luck. Your best bet is to find a old H&R shotgun of the same model and use it for parts. If you look around and let it be known what you want, you can probably find one for less than 25 dollars, You don't care if it's rusty or pitted, all you really want is the forearm. You might try the usual used parts sources such as Numrich, Bob's gun parts, Jack First, who knows , you might get lucky, if you do find one, then go out a buy a couple of lottery tickets, because you are one lucky guy. Hope that helps, others?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solid plan... I was hoping around google and came across a gun shop under 100 miles south of me called Allmans, I was thinking about dragging the wife down there Wednesday for a little parts recon.

I didn't think about the metal part of the forearm!

The screw is also broken off into the barrel, sadly I did a number on it when I was a jackass kid.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
For the broken screw you will have to ease it out to save the threads in the hole. The way I do this with screws is a little time consuming but has never failed me. I have a smalll screw driver I ground to knife sharpness. I put that up against the center of the broken screw and simply begin gentle tapping with a small ball peen hammer for a while. That gets me a line in the broken screw where I have enough bite to gently unscrew it out. WD 40 can help here also. There is another system I use for more difficult situations. I use a high speed small hand drill - one of the jewelers drills. I drill a small hole in the center of the broken screw - not very deep. Then, tap a very small screwdriver into the hole and 'bingo' simply unscrew the broken screw. Again, WD 40 can help.

The reason I use these methods is because I do not want to drill out damaged threads and retap to the next size. I like to preserve the original screw hole if possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.