The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Folks:
Just registered and thought I would throw a problem out for anyone who is familiar with the 1883 Springfield Trapdoor. I have one of these sweeties and per my nature I thought I would push the envelope. I switched out the stock sight for the later Buffington sight and made sure I had the front site....or so I thought.

I had actually forgotten to switch the front sight at first and surprise, surprise it shot just a TAD high. When I finally realized that I needed to switch the front sight, I pulled out what I had thought was the newer, higher sight. Imagine my surprise that the sight that came with the Buffington was the same as the original sight. Here are some of the solutions I am mulling over.

a.) Go on-line and buy an aftermarket replacement then do the file trick to sight it in to my particular piece.

b.) Turn the current sight 90 degrees by uninstalling and reinstalling and hoping it is at least as high as the needed sight.

c.) Solder an addition to the present sight and file as above

d.) Attempt to locate and purchase an original matching forward sight for a Buffington and pray that standardization was as well-developed as it may have been and no further mod is necessary by yours truly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can Do!!
I'll probably use my Galaxy Cellphone and send it to my email.and download to my Dell.
Where do I go from there? /B. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
39,886 Posts
Can Do!!
I'll probably use my Galaxy Cellphone and send it to my email.and download to my Dell.
Where do I go from there? /B. :unsure:
Go over and click on the three little dots at the top right of the page and then click on FAQ. A little way down the list is one that says "How to Upload Images to Posts" and click on that, the instructions for posting pictures are there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, let's see here....

Might as well start small and work up....
Obviously this is my Colt Dragoon Model 3' I load 35gr of Goex with a patch and round ball. The knife is a Green River pattern. My personna at the range is a Frontier Civilian Scout which gives me a bit of leeway. Not like I'm doing re-enactment...just the way I roll....

Not everyone believes I shoot a weapon that's 137 years old so I make sure to get off
a pic of the serial number. Bit fuzzy but that's 169657 for the visually challenged like me.

As I mentioned I am troubleshooting an issue with the Buffington Sight so heres a shot with it deployed. As I mentioned and most Trapdoor people know, the Buffington along with the 500gr bullet came after 1883 so I had to dismount the original sight and mount this one. IIRC it was the Buffington Sight that was used for those famous distance shots at the Sandyhook trials. Two Miles? S**t! I can't even See that far ....!

And here she is all laid out. As with any good woman you need to hug her Real Close when she kisses you. Yes...she has Quite a "kiss".

Best Wishes,

Bruce

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Obviously this is my Colt Dragoon Model 3' I load 35gr of Goex with a patch and round ball.
I like the Dragoon Colts, always wanted a first model dragoon or a Walker but so far I haven't gotten either one of them. Why the patch? Cap n ball revolvers aren't like muzzle loading rifles or pistols, you don't use a patched ball in them. Did you mean a greased felt wad under the ball?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the Dragoon Colts, always wanted a first model dragoon or a Walker but so far I haven't gotten either one of them.
I know this is OT, but I figure I have the best compromise between the two: Uberti Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon, the "tweenie" in the middle of the Walker and the First Model.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nice toys !!!! I got a Trapdoor carbine but wish sometimes had a rifle and got a Walker and Dragoon but shoot the Dragoon better . Got enough weight to help steady my shots but not as heavy as the Walker which gets heavy quick !!!

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
The lowest setting on the Buffington rear sight is for a 200 yard zero, if you want to zero the rifle at 100 yards you need to get a taller front blade and file it to get it to zero at 100. You will also have to remember that the range increments on the Buffington will now be off by 100 yards if and when you shoot at long range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The lowest setting on the Buffington rear sight is for a 200 yard zero, if you want to zero the rifle at 100 yards you need to get a taller front blade and file it to get it to zero at 100. You will also have to remember that the range increments on the Buffington will now be off by 100 yards if and when you shoot at long range.
Thanks, Grizzley:
Just for context I am being guided by the late J S Wolf's work on the Springfield which he sighted for 200 yards and warned of a 6 inch rise at 100 yards. Given the limits of my current range it's this 6-inch rise at 100 yards I am zeroing for and will fine tune at a 200 yd range which is a tad farther drive. Thoughts? Right now manufacturing my own replacement is becoming more attractive and may be my recourse if my latest email to Springfield Trapdoor. Com doesn't get me an original.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts