Farmers/Ranchers I need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 8:14:59 pm)
    Farmers/Ranchers I need help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am agra challenged. We just moved into a new house in the middle of a 60 acre pasture. My question is how do you know when an electric fence is working and how is it tested? I have checked all the wire and insulators and they seem to be OK. Will the systems work well with very rusted wire? The transformer is clicking and the LED is flashing. I have touched the wire and it's there but it didn't make me let go: but I was in rubber boots not standing on four wet hooves and a slimy nose. Thanx for all the help this fence challenged guy knows he will get
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

cowdoc
    (1/20/03 8:30:22 pm)
    Reply Re: Farmers/Ranchers I need help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    should have bit you more than that i would think make sure the one wire is grounded good ....should be one wire to the fence wire and one wire tied to a steel stake drove into the ground. the rubber boots might have helped some ....i crawled under one that used 120 voltage to run the transformer i rubbed under it with the small of my back and it put me flat to the ground .
    doc
    if yours is run off battery the battery could be low. if its a solar type that probably wouldnt be the case.
    my solar one has a guage on it to tell how good its working.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 8:33:09 pm)
    Reply Hey Teehee!
    Take the rubber boots off!...and pee on the wire...worked when we wuz kids...course I got 5 brothers and we always made the youngest one try it! Kinda like the "Hey Mikey" thing...

CJMudder
    (1/20/03 9:43:42 pm)
    Reply one shockin' pee!
    Wow,that takes me back! Cow trailin' on dirt bikes, decided to take a brake and my buddy proceeded to pee on the post. He thought he was struck bt lightening! Laughed about that for a LONG time. But really that subject is on the web,type in fencing and follow your nose. Put my fence up this year and got alot of help.Try this one(www.zarebasystems.com)simple problem but I'm surfin' right now.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 10:17:38 pm)
    Reply Re: one shockin' pee!
    Teehee1
    Your local farm supply store will have a inexpensive tester that you hook over the wire to test voltage,..Better than pissin on it.

My neighbor had a electric, I was hunting in a driving rain storm on his property and straddled it beteween my legs before it bit me, couldnt let go fer what seamed like 10 seconds, .......Then I had to pee.
    X gets the firearms flying fickle finger of fate award!

griz
    (1/20/03 10:21:11 pm)
    Re: one shockin' pee!
    teehee1...sounds like a ground problem to me. When mine starts getting weak (low voltage) the ground is the problem about 99 percent of the time. You really need a ground rod, preferably copper, driven at least six feet deep to provide an effective ground. I use three copper wire wrapped, galvanized steel rods driven six feet deep and about 8-10 feet apart. Another thing that really effects the ground is dry soil. You can try watering to keep it moist around the ground rod and that seems to help some. It was so dry in South Dakota this summer that even that wasn't enough to deliver a decent shock, so we ran a ground wire between two of the hot strands around a small pasture and connected it to the charger ground. That would really get your attention if you contacted the ground wire and one of the hot ones - measured 12,500 volts on my tester all summer. And as previously mentioned there is a wealth of information on the web. Hope this helps - good luck.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 1:35:27 am)
    Take off the boots and pee on was my first though!

Afterwards if ya still can't tell break the circut and hold it close you should see a spark jump like a spark plug.
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/21/03 8:55:37 am)
    Try standing on four wet hooves and touch it with your slimey nose.

wundudnee
    (1/21/03 9:13:29 am)
    I never used a tester. I just carry a piece of solid copper insulated wire and strip back both ends. Stick one end down in the dirt and hold the other end by the insulation close to your fence. You should get a good spark even with a battery charger. Eveybody is right, you need a good ground and can't have anything touching the fence.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/21/03 9:19:50 am)
    Re: one shockin' pee!
    The fence could be shorting out on weeds or even a post if the insulator is bad. I can guarantee you, if it is running off of 120 volts that it should be able to burn weeds that touch the wire and you won't hang on to it for long.
    cointoss2

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/24/03 8:50:52 am)
    THANK YOU ALL
    The fence was grounded by a neighbors fence that was mysteriously hooked to mine. Unfortunately the new power of the fence was shockingly discovered by friend who mistakenly thought it was still in its puny state.
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.