The Firearms Forum banner

Fastest shippers broke decapping pin

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  zant 
#1 ·
I just broke my tip off of my decapping pin for my 30-40 Krag die so need to order me another one . I have not ordered anything from reloading supplies online for awhile . Who is getting there stuff out the fastest ? I ordered a few extra mags from Sarco for my 1911 in December and they just shipped today . They don't sell deprimer pins but you get my drift !!!!!

#10 ·
Is it replaceable? I don't have but very few Lee dies and on those I have the de-capping pin and neck expanding button are all one piece. Did/does Lee make them both ways? If I break a pin on one on them...I guess it's making de-capping a separate operation.

#12 ·
Ahhh....ok. I didn't know if that was something that had changed over the years or not. A fella could de-prime them with a separate Lee de-priming die then just use the button to expand the neck. I have to do that with some of the old, weird stuff I load for and shoot. It does add another step but, it keeps you in the game. With my black powder cartridges I also de-prime as a separate step. De-prime, wash out the cases then re-size. It keeps the BP fouling out of your sizing die.

#15 ·
Yep seems it's either hurry and wait ir out of stock. Glad I am not hurting for it .just topping off !!!! Thought about borrowing one from another 30 cal but since I good on ammo for it I wont right now . I forgot about Lee replacing for free I sent them a email to see . And yes it's with the expander on it . I kind got a bad taste for the big tech companies so trying to stay away from them if can but may have to

#16 ·
I am getting so bad about typing a response then forgetting to hit post reply !!!!!! Same here sharps . I got mag tech brass I use for my Martini Henry and Snider I deprime with a small nail that is drove into a piece of dowel rod and also have did same a few times for other calibers . If Lee don't got the replacement with the expander I may just get a new die , . Need to price it sometimes you are just better off buying complete new instead of the part . Last year my cordless batteries for my drill and stuff were finally after years not holding their charge and it was close enough on price to buy a new drill instead of batteries . Thet also change designs of batteries like their socks !!!

#17 ·
Ain't that the truth. I have a perfectly good Bosch battery drill for which the batteries haven't been available in 20+ years. Had to buy a new one.

I took one of those little shirt pocket Philips screw drivers and ground it to a long point for decapping the Mag-Tech shells.

Reactions: soonerfan66
#20 ·
Ain't that the truth. I have a perfectly good Bosch battery drill for which the batteries haven't been available in 20+ years. Had to buy a new one.

I took one of those little shirt pocket Philips screw drivers and ground it to a long point for decapping the Mag-Tech shells.
Sharps that would have angered me. My 20yr old Makita batteries died 3-4yrs ago and I found aftermarket replacements online. Way cheaper than the $300 I paid for the drill kit long ago I'm sure it was $ to replace that Bosch also.
Back to the OP, years ago I bought a Wilson de-capper punch with the 30-06 head size base. It will de-prime almost all the cases I reload both rifle and pistol in a pinch. I think only my belted mag cases don't fit the base but the punch fits all primers.

Reactions: sharps4590
#18 ·
YEP if you break them in right they will last along time . I tried buy USED batteries and New ones , but their new ones were reconditioned batteries and never would hold up . One great thing about black powder shells you can most of the time get away without needing dies . My Martini Henry didn't get a set for years but found out it shot better will a little more crimp then just flaring the mouth a little to insert the new bullet . Sorry rabbit trail , I'll be good !!!!

#21 ·
Lee makes a few tools I have and use often. One of them is their Universal de-priming die. I think the only case I've had that it wasn't long enough to reach was the 3 inch, 500 BPE. Another is their Universal belling die. It does not size the neck like an expander button or real belling die will but it will flare the case mouth enough to start cast bullets. I have enough different dies I can get the neck where it should be but, not all my die sets have a belling/neck expanding die.

#23 ·
sharps I need to check on that universal belling die . I got a few old rifles the rifling is not the best and need larger diameter bullets and the factory deprime sizing dies don't flare the mouth of the case enough to seat the bullet and so I shaved a wooden dowel to flare the mouth . Wished had seen this before I placed my order for the new deprimer/expander pin and could of got both shipped same time !!!!!

#25 ·
I got a reply back from Lee . They said they would replace the decapping pin but I would need to pay for shipping which over I don't think would of been much more savings since the pin is was only $4 I think from Midway and according to tracking # should be here about mid week .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.