Father’s Day Gift Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firpo, May 17, 2018.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It’s that time of the year and I’m trying to figure out what to get my father for a gift. I’ve considered a S&W Model 10 military model which he carried in Vietnam but they arent proving easy to find locally. He has bought two new shotguns over the past two years, a Superposed and then a Caesar Guerini about 10 month ago so that’s out. I’d like to get him a gun but he really isn’t shooting the ones he has. Guess I’ll head to an LGS or two and see what I can find. I do know he has been talking about a Henry Golden Boy so maybe I’ll give that some consideration. So, what are you guys doing for your fathers if you’re still blessed to have them around?

m77user, flboots, orion340 and 5 others like this.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Take him to Vegas and go shoot some machine guns. Several nice full auto ranges in Vegas that offer some really cool firearms to shoot.
    My suggestion to myself and for the group is to forget about the material “stuff” this year and make memories and experiences.
    There may be some good ranges out there locally in Kali too.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Your Dad and I carried the same pistol. Those Model 10s are still out there. Mine was hard to find, especially because the one I carried was an odd-ball with a 5" barrel.

Just for grins-and-giggles, try J&G Sales out of Prescott Arizona. They get a lot of old Police turn-ins, and the Police did issue many Model 10s. J&G was always a great place to do business with.

m77user, orion340, ms6852 and 5 others like this.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the idea of building memories, as wooleyworm suggested.

What about a camera?

Books he might be interested in? Audiobooks?

Gift certificate from...

I'll give my dad a call. He's at the point now where there's not much I can get for him, but he will enjoy a chat.

m77user, flboots, orion340 and 4 others like this.
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

my nephew is coming to visit and wants to replace every wire in the truck. I jokingly said that's worth another rifle. He replied "it is father's day after all, and you've been like a dad to me". Daddy needs a 243

6. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Been posted pretty much already. But, I'd suggest just spending time with your father. If he has activity he enjoys, do it! Sit talk and learn of your heritage, culture and whatever topic that comes up.
    My last talk with my father I remember very well. It lasted maybe 10 seconds. He said could I call him back later that he was very tried.
    I called back couple hours later and got no answer to his room. I called nurse's desk and was informed he had passed away about 1 1/2 hours beforehand.
    IMHO time spent with loved ones is best present ever!

7. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

8. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

If he has the guns, Take him to the range and do some shooting. He doesn't need another gun if he isn't shooting them. He needs to go and use them. I say spending time is more important than a material gift.

9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My Dad is gone almost 4 years now. Probably as with a lot of you, maybe most, my Dad was exceedingly difficult to buy for....we always thought. If he wanted something he bought it and his tastes were a bit like mine, somewhat eclectic. He needed.....nothing actually. Now that I'm "the old man" it isn't the what as much as the sentiment....and time spent together. My oldest son will arrive here sometime late tomorrow afternoon for an extended stay, that will be better than anything he could get me. I anticipate much time spent playing guitars and shooting firearms....maybe even a fly fishing day trip!

10. 68c15

It wasn't Father's Day but Christmas 1999 that I floored my dad. He always said his favorite car of all time was the 42 Chrysler Town and Country. At the time he was collecting 1:24 scale cars. I found a Danbury Mint 42 T&C with extreme detail, I'm talking extremely extreme. That was the only time I ever saw him cry. I got it after he died. It only comes out of the box for brief viewing once every couple years

11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would buy my dad a carton of cigarettes and a case of beer.

flboots, BlueDragonLair and joe45c like this.
  12. 68c15

that's a damn good idea, Son. ;)