The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Back in the late 1980s when I shot in the Masters I used .556 military brass and opened the neck up to 7mm for the 7 TCU for a Thompson Contender. Boy, was that thing accurate - even when fire forming the cases to the chamber.
Office supplies Bullet Gun accessory Ammunition Metal

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
Used to see a lot of the TCU cartridges at handgun silhouette matches. I guess they ran their course. You don't read, hear or see much about them today.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Used to see a lot of the TCU cartridges at handgun silhouette matches. I guess they ran their course. You don't read, hear or see much about them today.
That and 22LR is what I used. Silhouette doesn't seem as popular nowadays.

I always thought it would be an easy conversion for a Mini-14. :)

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That and 22LR is what I used. Silhouette doesn't seem as popular nowadays.

I always thought it would be an easy conversion for a Mini-14. :)
What seems to be VERY popular right now is 22 LR competition shooting at 50 yards. The King of the Hill presently is the Vudoo Rifle in its various incarnations. Some are taking the Vudoos's out to 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and up to 1000 yards. Yes, those distances with a 22 caliber.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
What seems to be VERY popular right now is 22 LR competition shooting at 50 yards. The King of the Hill presently is the Vudoo Rifle in its various incarnations. Some are taking the Vudoos's out to 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and up to 1000 yards. Yes, those distances with a 22 caliber.
I honestly have no idea, so this is an honest question. What is considered good at 50 yards, etc.?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I honestly have no idea, so this is an honest question. What is considered good at 50 yards, etc.?
We shoot the 2" splatter targets with the stock 10/22 wearing a Bushnell banner at 100 yards with trash ammo. With the t-bolt .17hmr+Leopold we shoot dimes. Miss about 10% of the time doing either. Shot a fair bit but don't have dozens of hours looking through glass fwiw.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
We shoot the 2" splatter targets with the stock 10/22 wearing a Bushnell banner at 100 yards with trash ammo. With the t-bolt .17hmr+Leopold we shoot dimes. Miss about 10% of the time doing either. Shot a fair bit but don't have dozens of hours looking through glass fwiw.
So, for competition purposes it's hit/no-hit or group size? The reason I ask is because I shot a 0.48" center-to-center 4-round group at 50 yards yesterday after 10 rounds sighting in a tapered barrel 10/22 with .22 LR CCI Mini Mags. It's great for me, but I have no comparison to anyone else to know what's good. I would think that folks in actual competitions would be shooting much tighter using better ammo and hardware. I just don't know. I'm only interested in competing against myself, but knowing if it's decent wouldn't be a bad thing either. :unsure:

EDIT: The first round on the last target was low and I adjusted the scope up 1 or 2 clicks. The next 4 were consecutive with no adjustments before I packed up and came back inside. It's good for me, but that's all I know...

·
Registered
122 Posts
So, for competition purposes it's hit/no-hit or group size? The reason I ask is because I shot a 0.48" center-to-center 4-round group at 50 yards yesterday after 10 rounds sighting in a tapered barrel 10/22 with .22 LR CCI Mini Mags. It's great for me, but I have no comparison to anyone else to know what's good. I would think that folks in actual competitions would be shooting much tighter using better ammo and hardware. I just don't know. I'm only interested in competing against myself, but knowing if it's decent wouldn't be a bad thing either. :unsure:

EDIT: The first round on the last target was low and I adjusted the scope up 1 or 2 clicks. The next 4 were consecutive with no adjustments before I packed up and came back inside. It's good for me, but that's all I know...
View attachment 255590
Never gets too competitive but we just shoot to hit. Looks like good shooting to me. Minute of squirrel at least and that's all that matters. If you want to reach a little further, the targets that look like that but with a red center are worth a shot. Gives me something smaller to aim at so I seem to do better with them at longer ranges where everything is hard to differentiate. I can put the reticle on an all black target and hit it but I never can tell if I'm holding perfectly dead center or just "on".

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A shot group that measures 0.25 inches or LESS - center to center at 50 yards. I am hearing of shot groups of 0.15. Some guys can hit a dime at 100 yards with their Vudoo rifles. You may want to view some YouTube videos about the Vudoo.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
A shot group that measures 0.25 inches or LESS - center to center at 50 yards. I am hearing of shot groups of 0.15. Some guys can hit a dime at 100 yards with their Vudoo rifles. You may want to view some YouTube videos about the Vudoo.
Less than 0.25" is what I figured. I don't think I want or need to get down to that level. I don't have the patience either. Still, it's good to know. I tend to normalize my expectations of accuracy on what I guess the gun and optic can do. Then, I refine that down to the goofball pulling the trigger with a doping factor of 2X. :ROFLMAO: That group above is all I expected from a final group of 10 rounds to get stable and warm up. Plus, I walked to the target every 2 rounds in the lower light and SC humidity to take a picture and figure out where I was hitting until the final 5. This goes back to, I just need to compete against myself. :)

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Back in the late 1980s when I shot in the Masters I used .556 military brass and opened the neck up to 7mm for the 7 TCU for a Thompson Contender. Boy, was that thing accurate - even when fire forming the cases to the chamber. View attachment 255404 .
I used to compete in IHMSA matches in the Unlimited class of which I used a 7T/CU 14" barreled Contender. Once I acquired a precision set of sights for it, I was shooting 40x40 scores. I tried part of one year with Remington XP 100 chambered in 7mm Rem. BR, but switch back to 7T/CU because the Contender was easier to load and shoot. I also tried 7-08 Rem. and 284 Win. which both of those two were target over kill. I loved that little 7T/CU cartridge. Simply run a 223 Rem. virgin cartridge case into a 7T/CU sizing die and fire form. 200 cases would last a whole season of once a months competition. 140 Nosler BT pushed out at 1900 FPS would nock down the 200 yard 45 pound steel ram targets with ease. Also It is a very accurate cartridge. With the precision sights I could group 1-1/2"-2" @ 200 yards. Very pleasant to shoot in a Contender. I could shoot two 40 round scores with another 10-40 rounds for shoot offs. The 7mmT/CU is my all time favorite cartridge. Killed deer out to 150 yards with my same silhouette load, with a 2-7x pistol scope.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cour
Less than 0.25" is what I figured. I don't think I want or need to get down to that level. I don't have the patience either. Still, it's good to know. I tend to normalize my expectations of accuracy on what I guess the gun and optic can do. Then, I refine that down to the goofball pulling the trigger with a doping factor of 2X. :ROFLMAO: That group above is all I expected from a final group of 10 rounds to get stable and warm up. Plus, I walked to the target every 2 rounds in the lower light and SC humidity to take a picture and figure out where I was hitting until the final 5. This goes back to, I just need to compete against myself. :)
It's all good. It's all fun. Stay on course.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
Are the 22 matches at yards that you're talking about the same as BR-50? I've never shot it or even want to but those guys are shooting some amazing scores.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
270, BR-50 is the only 50 yard 22 match I've heard of and I'm not even familiar with what the course of fire is. All I really know is I heard some guys talking about it an saw a rifle. It looked pretty tricked out to me.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
270, BR-50 is the only 50 yard 22 match I've heard of and I'm not even familiar with what the course of fire is. All I really know is I heard some guys talking about it an saw a rifle. It looked pretty tricked out to me.
Check out the Vudoo site and some videos on YouTube. 22plinkster has a good one along with some others. The Vudoo is amazing and $$$ but to many it is worth the money. I'm curious but for the time being I prefer centerfire because I enjoy doing my own loading/reloading and for the 22 hand loading is not possible at least in a practical sense.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
".22 at 1000 yards."

Must be shot like a Mortar round. 🤔

1 - 19 of 19 Posts