Favorite 22 ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by olmossbak, Apr 20, 2009.

1. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I guess I should add "...when you can find it." to the title.

I have recently renewed my love for shooting a 22 and aquired a Savage MkII BTV. I put a 6 - 24 X 42 Tasco on it and started to look for ammo that it liked. I have friends who prefer the Win Dynapoints for their accuracy and reasonable price so I got a bulk box. I also picked up a couple of boxes of Rem target.

So I'm at the range shooting Dynapoints and just can't seem to get the Savage to group the way I think it should. My eyesight was never good and age is making it worse. The reticle on the Tasco is very fine and I assumed that I was the problem On one 50 yd target I was being careful with follow through and was watching the holes open in the target. They were all over the place - but usually within 3 or so inches.:(

I then switched to a Marlin 60 with a 4X scope loaded with the Rem's. I was grouping everything within an inch. :rolleyes: Then I tried the Rem's in the Savage and the group got even tighter.:D OK so the Win is $24 a brick and the Rem targets are $45. I haven't tried the Wolf Ex Match as it is even more but I did order a brick of RWS at $65 only because it was all I could find.

Anyone else had these problems with the Dynapoints or am I the only one here trying to pick the fly specs out of the pepper?

2. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

Try Federal Gold Medal 711B load. I know ive said this in all of my posts this far but for 4.50/50 you cant go wrong. Most of the guys i shoot with are shooting MkII and thats all they will shoot out of their guns.

I cleared Wal-Mart out if their Rem. 22 Target tonight. Ill shoot it this weekend and see what kind of groups i get with my Rem. 597 TVP.

3. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild New Member

I use Mini-Mags and Blazers in my 597. Anything from CCI will shoot great out of my rifle. I use Blazers for targets/plinking and some small game hunting. I use Mini-Mags often for target shooting but mainly for small game. Blazers are the cheapest quality round IMO, at $20 per 500 rounds it's my number one preference.

The two other rounds I fire through the 597 are hollow point CCI Velocitors and Stingers. I use the Stingers for varmint extermination solely, and the Velocitors for long range target shooting (125+ yards), varmint killing, and even for home defense. I would NOT wanna get hit by one of those. 1400+ FPS hollow points and 40 grain out of my 30 round banana clip will do a number on an intruder.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I shot a couple hundred rounds of Blazer yesterday through my Ruger 22/45 with a red-dot scope. The accuracy seems to be great with it, but is sure does create a lot of smoke!! I got bored after a while, after about 50 rounds there was just one big hole in the target at 15 yards so I started shooting at the "gong" at the 50 yard line.

I also shot a few rounds of it through my North American Arms mini revolver. There is no such thing as accuracy with that little thing. I did finally find a use for that Aguila Colibri .22 ammo. It is just plain fun to shoot through that tiny pistol. You can actually see the bullet going from the gun to the target!!

5. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I tried the Stingers in my Marlin 60 and it didn't seem to care for them too much. I have a very old Marlin/ J C Higgins (got it from Santa) that likes the Stingers but it is a bolt gun. I have to agree that the Stingers are quite impressive when they hit flesh. I've nearly taken a squirrels head off with them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

OK guys, here's the deal. Every gun has a particular bullet that it likes better than any thing else, your job is to find that bullet for that gun! That being said, one of my .22 rifles might like Remington, and another won't shoot it at all! So for that gun I shoot what it likes, Federal! Same thing applies to all guns, shotguns, pistols, and revolvers, as well as single shot guns.

7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Ditto! It's a matter of what the gun will happily munch. :)

8. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

Right now, my current favorite is Federal Value bulk and Federal Auto-Match bulk.

9. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Yea, I understand and thanks for reminding. I am just getting into this semi-serious (hardly ever do anything really seriously) 22 shooting and having to learn to shoot stuff out of the box. Normally I consider factory loaded ammo as a source of brass that goes bang.

I guess what I am learning is that most non-target grade 22 ammo is not the qualty of non-target grade center fire ammo. This is both in terms of precision and reliability. The non-premium center fire Win., Fed., Rem., etc. are pretty good stuff, I think. That doesn't seem to be the same for their respective 22 rimfire ammo. Giving this another few seconds of thought I must admit that I have fired very little factory loaded center fire ammo in the last 25 years.

O, and the Win. Dynapoints that I have been shooting are labeled as Target.

Are my expectations too high here because I'm not that experienced shooting rimfire except plinking?:( :confused:

10. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Not at all. Like has been said many times before, the right ammo for the right gun. Just more so with bulk .22

11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I mostly use CCI Stingers. My MKIII loves em.

12. 38 special

38 special New Member

My rifle and my ruger mark II both shoot minimags the best I test grouped about ten different brands of 22 shells and minimags shoot the best group out of my guns.

13. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

olmossbak, an expensive target rifle can be very accurate with the right load. Feed it the wrong ammo, and you might have a very expensive target rifle that gets out shot by an el-cheap-o rifle shooting bullets that it really likes. Try different makes of ammo, have fun, you will find one that your gun likes. When you do, stick with it, maybe try something diffetent once in a while, ya never know, ya might find one your gun likes even better! Most important, just have fun!