The Firearms Forum banner

Favorite commercially availiable self-defense .45 cartrige?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Logansdad 
G
#1 ·
rhinoman
(1/2/03 4:56:07 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Favorite commercially availiable self-defense .45 cartrige?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is somewhat of a spin-off from Favorite .45 load in the 1911 forum. I'd like to here what you guys have to say and also reasons for your choices. From what I've read the 230 gr Hydroshok is the best all-around self-defense cartridge.
The fight for freedom is not fought overseas in distant lands with guns, missles and bombs. It is fought here with words, pen and paper and I fear, we are loosing it.

MTaylor
(1/2/03 8:19:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Favorite commercially availiable self-defense .45 cartr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For self defense?

Cor-bon Pow'RBall in both .45acp and 400 Cor-Bon barrels.

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/2/03 8:48:41 pm)
Golden Saber 230grain widemouth hollow-point

Nicknamed years back...."The Flying Ashtray"

Brass jacketed, no feed problems.

Serious energy dump
been around for years....many years a secret.

LTS

mgjohn
(1/2/03 11:03:10 pm)
Love the Federal Hydra Shock, great round that has always worked for me. Bought a 500 round case a few months ago to top off my current supply.

ruffitt
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/3/03 2:00:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Favorite commercially availiable self-defense .45 cartr
I prefer the original "Black Talon" that Winchester produced a few years back (before they succumbed to the pressure of the media touting the round as an evil demon) (I do have a limited personal supply of them). Second place is a tie between the .45 rounds produced by Cor-bon and Remingtons' Golden Saber hollow point. Federal Hydro Shocks comes in third place, followed by Winchester Silvertips. Anything after these rounds is a free for all and of no particular consequence as far as I'm concerned.

rhinoman
(1/3/03 8:58:54 pm)
ruffitt, I don't know how true this is but I heard the reason the original Black Talon was discontinued was because it was puncturing surgical gloves and Dr's fingers! I've heard that to remove bullets Dr's feel with their fingers for the bullet, than pull it out with forceps. Again, I don't know if this is true or not but it's what I've heard. Which Cor-bon or Golden Saber? 230gr? What do you guys think of the Federal 165gr PDA. It's the only thing I can find around here!
The fight for freedom is not fought overseas in distant lands with guns, missles and bombs. It is fought here with words, pen and paper and I fear, we are loosing it.

IShootBack
(1/5/03 6:42:40 pm)
I had a bad experience with winchester silvertip 185 grain hollow point ammo purchased from wallyworld - around 20 bucks for 20 rounds - marketed as personal defense rounds.

The stuff fragmented as soon as it left the barrel. I shot some at IDPA targets. Starting at 25 yards, only a few fragments hit the target. At 5 to 7 yards the round held together like buckshot.

I read a lot of good stuff about Cor Bon ammo.
Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

Edited by: IShootBack at: 1/5/03 6:47:30 pm

mpprr
(1/9/03 5:37:17 pm)
I've used both the Cor-Bon 165-grain +P Pow'RBall and the Winchester USA brand 230-grain JHPs. I also like the Hydra-Shocks. The USA 230-grainers are currently filling my Kimber's magazines.

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/9/03 5:42:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Favorite commercially availiable self-defense .45 cartr
To tell you the truth I buy whatever is cheapest. Currently all my mags are loaded with some GI surplus hardball.
Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

mpprr
(1/9/03 6:21:59 pm)
"Amen" to that, Warpig. My budget strained at $20 for 20 rounds of Cor-Bons. The local Academy Sports and Outdoors locations here (AL) sell 50-round boxes of the USA JHPs for $16 and 50 rounds of Blazer FMJs for $9.

IShootBack
V.I.P. Member
(1/9/03 6:27:47 pm)
Anyway you look at it, a .45 hole in yer chest is huge
I have seen the light and currently have mine loaded with WInchester FMJ's.
Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

sphillips
(1/19/03 11:42:50 am)
Reply | Edit | Del 45 Ammo
Rem 230gr. FMJ

Tac401
Administrator
(1/20/03 11:39:01 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: 45 Ammo
Black Talons had no more of an edge when expanded
than any other JHP round. The spin about them being
any more sharper/dangerous in surgical situations is
false, nothing more than media scare tactics to the
inocently ignorant public as an added twisted tool
of lies in an attempt to aid in adding more fuel/strong
arm tactics in order to get the then so called AW/Ban/
Klinton 94-so called crime bill passed, nothing more.

The Winchester BT was/is one of, if not THE best
defence round ever, and in my opinion still is.

Tac
TFF VMBB Email Tac

rhinoman
(1/20/03 1:27:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: 45 Ammo
I'm sure your right Tac!

See less See more
#3 ·
Aguila IQ in .45acp

I've been doing some VERY infomal testing with several calibers and bullets. In this case the IQ in 45acp.

The comapny claims that it will "know" when it hits soft tissue and when it something solid such as windshield glass. Sounds pretty far-fetched to me. The company line is that because of the large hollow point and the pre-cut bullet, on a soft target the bullet will fragment into 3 or 4 pieces. On a hard target its supposed to fold "in" on the hollow point and punch through the hard target.

So I thought I would do some backyard tests to see what I could find out.

Some info about it first. In the .45acp version its a 117gr alloy hollow point bullet. The company say the bullet travels at 1450 feet per second. The recoil out of a full sized 1911 is a bit lighter than 230gr ball, but the muzzel flash is massive, easy to see even in full daylight.

I haven't run any over my chrono yet, thats next on the list.

I shot several attacking watermellons for the "soft" test. The distance on the first one was about 5 feet, BIG mistake. Watermellon juice is veryyyyyy sticky, both on your favorite 1911 and your shooting glasses. The results were the same on all of them, violent expansion, the rind had cuts in a circuler curving pattern. I shot a couple more melons, one with 230gr ball, the other with Win 230+p Ranger-T. The ball did just what you'd think, punched a small hole from stem to stern. The Ranger did open the melon up a little more but nowhere near what the IQ did.

With that kind of expansion I thought no way these things will make it through a solid target.

For this part of the test I used two pieces of steel that were part of a water purification tank, two pieces about three feet apart. They were about one-eigth of an inch thick. On the first one it made a clean nickel sized hole. It almost made it through the second but ran out of steam. I didn't recover any spent bullets from the rabid watermelons or the steal plates.

What does all this prove?? Nothing. It was just something I played with and thought I'd share it. I would love to do some gelatin tests, but I don't think my wife would put up with big sloppy chunks of jello in the fridge.

Steve

#6 ·
I think Aguila is taking advantage of the fact that alot of people are ignorant about hollowpoints (Don't get mad I'm not calling anyone ignorant) hollowpoints tend to collapse when hitting hard objects like windowglass or sheetmetal..or get plugged up becoming a de facto softpoint when going through sheetrock...and of course if they hit soft tissue they generally expand like they were designed to...I like Aguila ammunition but I'm not gullible enough to believe anything anybody advertised

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.