The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May sound weird but what is your favorite gun you like for looks, history or just coolness BUT don't like shooting it for how hard it kicks , bad sights , cost of ammo or what ever reason . Mine is a Steyer M95 carbine I have . It's very nice looking , great finish just beautiful , it's light to carry , the straight pull bolt is super smooth not as smooth as a Swiss K31 but a easy pull . After 3 shoulder surgeries and 8 herniated discs I do use a shooting rest so can't complain if it kicks bad or not . The only reason I don't like about it is you about need a breaker bar to pull the trigger . I really have to pay attention or I will pull the shot .

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,792 Posts
As much as I love owning my Dad's Winchester model 94 - dating from 1948 to 1951 - it's not a fun gun to shoot. It's in perfect condition, but it kicks like a mule, like getting hit in the shoulder by a dull axe. It's a beautiful gun, flawless and a tack shooter, but I have no interest in shooting it for fun. Hunting meat, it could be a contender, but for fun - no way.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Muzzleloaders, Fun to shoot? Heck yeah! its the constant swabbing, primer caps dropped in the grass, etc. I love smell of the burnt powder the big puff of smoke the way they seem to push you more then kick. pick a muzzle loader any muzzle loader love em all. flintlock, percussion, matchlock, rifle, shotgun, pistol. I had a Hawken rifle and .44 cal revolver they both came as a kit you assembled yourself, im totally brainfarting the brand. I sold them when my son was born, money got real tight real fast. One of these days if i live long enough ill get another one. get me one of those "new fangled" inline ones that use the 209 primer.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I had a few over the years.

The first was a Remington 40X chambered in 222 Rem. This is a rifle I had aspired to own since I had started competitive shooting. The asking price was unbelievable cheap, and then after I owned it I realized why it was so cheap. The barrel was shot out , and the walnut stock wood was spongy do to all the Hoppies soaked into it. Sold it. In hindsight, I should had kept it seeing that 40X actions are stratospheric in price.

Then there was the T/C Contender 14” chambered in 45/70 barrel. It shot the biggest heavy thumper bullet at the time, but the recoil was like a getting kicked in the hand by a really annoyed mule. That was a beast to shoot. If not handled with care, it could be death at both ends of that hand canon. I could only fire about ten shots through it before my right hand would go numb. I still have a scar on my right hand index/trigger finger bone from firing it. Sold it with no regrets.

Then was the T/C, TCR. Really loved the classic European style and the double set trigger that released with a breath of air. The down side. It shot patterns, not groups. Like 4”-5” @ 100 yards. Sold it with moderate disappointment.

The two Ruger No1’s. A 1B and latter a 1V. Both chambered in 25/06. The 1B I couldn’t get anything better then 2” groups @ 100 yards, and the 1V which only shot marginally better. I tried every fix and modifications to no avail. Sold them with much disappointment.

Then there was the NIB Remington 700 VS Left Hand chambered in 308 Win.. I sold the most accurate out of the box rifle I to date owned.(Remington 700 PSS chambered in 223 Rem.) The 700 VS was one of the worst examples of Remington’s and I believe when Remington started its down hill slide pertaining to quality. The bolt face was cut with a dull cutter with a series of concentric rings. The bolt handle started to gall were it cams against the receiver for initial extraction. The bolt lugs contact with the receiver’s bolt abutments had about 40% and 25% contact. I would had to remove about .020”-.030” to get clean up, but by then I’m cutting through the case hardening which is not good. The absolute most disgusting aspect was that the first three shot went into a nice 1/4” group, but subsequent shots would start stringing out to a 1:00 POI were after six or so shots it had two distinct groups. The only reason I excepted it was that it took five or so weeks for the rifle to get to the FFL dealer and the only problem at time was bolt face which I as a machinist could remedied in about 20 minutes or so on a lath. I relented and sent it back to Remington and after almost three months Remington sent it back claiming that the rifle was within spec. I sold it with a serious disdain for anything Remington.

Last but not least is my little Walther P22. The barrel’s chamber was cut off center from the bore. Walther has agreed to replace it, I just need to get off my butt and send in the original barrel, (I do shoot it a lot) but every time I pick it up, I feel annoyed about the chamber.

With my record of acquiring lemons, I’m sure something else will be in my future that will end up in my hands only to disappoint me.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Only one, my Ballard 1 1/2 Hunter in 45-2.6, (100). Given how much it weighs you'd think it couldn't kick much and, I suspect the free recoil isn't much, if any more, than an 300 Win. Mag. but....it's that sharp, crescent butt plate. It's like shooting a pitch fork with the tines as the butt stock.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Only one, my Ballard 1 1/2 Hunter in 45-2.6, (100). Given how much it weighs you'd think it couldn't kick much and, I suspect the free recoil isn't much, if any more, than an 300 Win. Mag. but....it's that sharp, crescent butt plate. It's like shooting a pitch fork with the tines as the butt stock.
Put that crescent on your upper arm, not your shoulder. That's where it was made to go.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Don't really hate to shoot it, but limit my 45-70 Handi-rifle to checking zero and hunting. It's light, has classic wood, and recoil with that crescent buttplate is just manageable.

Put that crescent on your upper arm, not your shoulder. That's where it was made to go.
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
A young friend had a commemorative Winchester 94/30-30 with a steel crescent butt plate with a 24” heavy octagon barrel that I tried shooting with the butt against my arm and it just didn’t jive with me. I had to tilt my head to much to sight down the rifle. Then I laid down in a creedmore position with the crescent butt plate hooked in my arm pit. Then it felt comfortable to shot and quite accurately.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
My Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum with the 10" barrel.
250 Grain full house loads can be felt all the way to your shoulder. Looks great, fun to shoot a few times then clean and back in the holster.:(

Got an Italian made BP rifle in 44 caliber. Beautiful (my first) rifle but turned out to be a face slapper. Still havn't figured out how to get past that.:confused: New stock design?
This one got me into BP shooting AND building. :D

·
Premium Member
19,188 Posts
My Ruger Blackhawk 44mag. This gun was fun to shoot but it bashed my hand so bad I rarely shot more than 12 rounds at any range session. I could shoot 44 special all day. Not as fun.

I bought a Hauge grip set for it and can shoot full load 44mag all day long. I really hate the look on a single action handgun but they do work.
upload_2020-9-29_8-47-30.png

·
Super Moderator
38,434 Posts
I have an Egyptian Hakim but I can't say it is a favorite gun, and I can't say I hate to shoot it, because I have never shot it. I have had this thing for years but just looking at the bolt and bolt cover that makes M1 Thumb sound like fun. I am actually afraid to shoot the thing because of that bolt and cover, it just looks dangerous.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That would be Jezebel,,,
My 6" S&W Model 629.

Jezebel - Upper left corner

It costs $4.50 to load the cylinder,,,
And the recoil while not debilitating isn't any fun.

I don't think it is a gun I would ever have purchased on my own,,,
Jezebel was a gift from a dear friend now departed.

Owning it did prompt me to "collect" this set though.

Aarond

1 - 20 of 50 Posts