The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I have a NEF brake open single shot varmint rifle in 25-06. It took me a long time to find this rifle because I wanted one that would hold 1 moa. I took out several single shot rifles that all claimed to shoot 1 moa but when it came to the range, it just never did what the seller claimed. Any way I finally bought a rifle I always wanted and it held 1 moa. After fine tuning the ammo, it shoots much better than 1 moa and it is my varmint go to rifle. So here is why I don't like it, this rifle shoots better than 1 moa benchrest with the forend "sweet spot" on the rest. The best that I or anyone can do with this rifle free hand (no benchrest ) is 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100 yards. This rifle has a super tight chamber and when using factory ammo there is usually one cartridge left over (box of twenty ) because I can't close the action. And some brands of ammo I can't close the action on any of the cartridges. This rifle is a pain to use but when I have done my part with reloads , it more than makes up for it when at the range I am out shooting rifles worth five times as much as mine . More than once I have heard someone say " how can that cheap piece of ****** out shoot my Savage or Remington" at 250 yards.

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
Gary, mebbe it ain't the rifle that's getting outshot...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I have a NEF brake open single shot varmint rifle in 25-06. It took me a long time to find this rifle because I wanted one that would hold 1 moa. I took out several single shot rifles that all claimed to shoot 1 moa but when it came to the range, it just never did what the seller claimed. Any way I finally bought a rifle I always wanted and it held 1 moa. After fine tuning the ammo, it shoots much better than 1 moa and it is my varmint go to rifle. So here is why I don't like it, this rifle shoots better than 1 moa benchrest with the forend "sweet spot" on the rest. The best that I or anyone can do with this rifle free hand (no benchrest ) is 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100 yards. This rifle has a super tight chamber and when using factory ammo there is usually one cartridge left over (box of twenty ) because I can't close the action. And some brands of ammo I can't close the action on any of the cartridges. This rifle is a pain to use but when I have done my part with reloads , it more than makes up for it when at the range I am out shooting rifles worth five times as much as mine . More than once I have heard someone say " how can that cheap piece of ****** out shoot my Savage or Remington" at 250 yards.
I have one in 25-06 with Buffalo Classic wood, altered to accept a rimmed case. Bedded the forend about an inch and a half from the receiver and put in a pillar (correct terminology?) to get metal-to-metal contact at the forend screw. Floated the rest. It will hold a minute of angle or better out to 300 yards with Hornady's 117 grain roundnose bullet and a bit under a starting load of RX22.

25-06 (2).jpg

I call it my 6.5X63R :D. BTW, maybe Sharps has a point about the shooter vs. the rifle. Mine won't do anything near 2 inches at 100 yards offhand. The problem is a wobbly forend supporter and an erratic trigger puller. :(

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My trigger is at 2 1/2 -3 pound and my forend is rock solid. I think it is a presure point problem. I am seriously thinking of building a forend hanger so the forend dosen't touch the barrel . But that is a heck of a lot of work and I am lazy.:D

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Like the opening post, I second the Steyer M95 carbine.
It really is a neat little gun, but kicks like a mule on crack. That might be because the only ammo I've shot through it so far is original WWII surplus with the NAZI head stamp.
Those guys were not messing around! It might be better once I work up some reloads for it.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I guess my most favorite rifle is the Sharps I built for myself a few years back, but I like shooting it. I hate that health issues prevent me from shooting it, but that's not the rifle's fault.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts