Favourite shotgun gage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Luc870
    (2/21/03 1:20:32 pm)
    Reply Favourite shotgun gage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you could only have one shotgun....

which gage would you choose?

Results (total votes = 44):
    10 gage 0 / 0.0%

12 gage 36 / 81.8%

16 gage 2 / 4.5%

20 gage 5 / 11.4%

.410 1 / 2.3%

Vote Now

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/21/03 1:28:45 pm)
    Reply Re: Favourite shotgun gage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    16Ga...Just 'cause.

"Standard" load 12GA - 1oz shot @ ~1250fps.
    "Standard" load 16Ga - 1oz shot @ ~1250fps.
    "Standard" load 20GA - 1oz shot @ ~1250fps.

Primary difference is length of shot string. Now, if you want to buy off-the-shelf loads tailored for other than "standard," the 16 is really deficient. I still like my 16s.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

Sigtrygg
    (2/21/03 2:50:07 pm)
    12Ga...

Just because of the Fact, that here in Germany it is the most used Caliber.
    You get the best choice, and the cheapest ammunition.

And with Slugs, it is a little bigger than the 16Ga., but not so (IMHO) overpowered like the 10Ga.

Michael

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/21/03 5:38:59 pm)
    Re: Favourite shotgun gage
    For What????
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/21/03 5:45:37 pm)
    Wherz my bunny and bird (not waterfoul) gun - the 28 gauge?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/21/03 6:48:40 pm)
    16Ga...Just 'cause.

I NEED a Browning Sweet 16 in the worst kind of way

nuthin wrong with the 28 either

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 2/22/03 9:55:03 am

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/21/03 8:30:15 pm)
    12 ga is universal but I can live with a 20 ga. just as well.
    cointoss2

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/21/03 8:48:44 pm)
    12 gauge.

blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/03 9:32:52 am)
    okay, okay...I give...I'll play...

.410.........no wait...... .28.......no, I meant .16....yeah .16......12.....model 12, I mean.....16 guage model 12...

Whew, that was taxing!
    Boom-a-tic

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/03 10:14:25 am)
    Wha'choo mean mister? You wanna 16 gauge model 12 but don't want no 16 gauge - or .410, 20, er 28 gauge?

How you ganna shoot them high flyin honkers wif dat 16 gauge when dem dudes wif the 10 gauges can't touch em? Huh? Youze gotta have a 12 gauge too. Wun uv dem 3 1/2 inch chambered jobs wif da interchangable chokz whut can shoot steel shot, an 'nother one fer lead shot.

Jest wonderin? (In other words, here we go again!!!---kno whut I mean?)

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/22/03 10:21:12 am)
    stirrin

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/22/03 10:50:55 am)
    Nope, jest a'talkin wif my frien an Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague, Mr Boomatic, the almighty an sellf proclaimed "Ne'er-Do-Well".

Not tryin ta make things get outta hand none whatsoever at all. Jest a bit uv friendly banter.

V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/03 6:43:45 pm)
    Reply Shotgun choice
    I just read a book that mentioned shotguns in 8, 4, and even 2 gauge. I figure that you can shoot small aircraft with those!

I really had to choose one I'd go with a 12ga. With that I can shoot everything from a squirrel to an intruder.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/03 6:52:11 pm)
    Re: Shotgun choice
    Now jimmy boy, da man what asked da question said "one" shotgun...heck I shoot dem honkerz wid my .17HMR all day long...I'm talkin' all day long...!!!!

And well...if'n dat don't work I jes sneak up on 'em when deys on da groun and shoot 'em wid my 'lil Colt Officer's .380 what I got from my bestus buddy, Kurt...
    Boom-a-tic

lockedcj7
    (2/22/03 7:34:40 pm)
    Reply got to be a 12ga.
    I shot nothing but 20's for many years but recently have gone with a 12. What do ya know? I'm hittin' better than I ever have. Besides, with the 12, you have the ultimate in versatility even with factory loads.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/23/03 12:20:41 am)
    Re: got to be a 12ga.
    Use the 20 or 28. Ducks gotta land sometimes....

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/23/03 5:32:28 am)
    Thanx for the support Doc. Not many people use the 28 any more. Lots sof folks have never even heard of them.

Boomeratic - You knoz that ifn ya be a'shooten them wildfoul birds wif thet 17HMR rifle er yer colt 380 (Ya got a durn Colt 380? - an here jest a coupa weeks ago you wuz a'tryin ta steal one frum me? - Man ifn I'da knowd you had wun I wooda been real mean to ya stead of bein all nicety nice )(anywayz, back ta whut I wuz a'sayin) y'all be a'puttin a hole in em whut ruins the meat. An when ya cooks em an eats em ya don't get no chance to bite on them little pellets, witch is so much fun ta do.....

Enehow y'all be good 'n take care now.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/23/03 10:14:48 am)
    Ruffitt, the 28 is gaining in popularity with the advent of the spoting clays games. More so than the 16.

I wish I had picked the .410 in the poll. It don't have a single vote and I love shooting my .410 SxS

Predator Ridge
    (2/23/03 10:27:08 am)
    I believe that the 12 ga due to the fact that you can always buy it anywhere in the shot size you need. 10 ga and 16 ga ammo is not always available and in some cases shot size or the availability of slugs is limited. 20 ga is a good round--but has more limitations then 12 ga. 410--good basically as a tree rats or rabbit gun--and again limited loads.As far as your 8 ga down to 2 ga they are hard to find ammo for and restricted in their type of loads. Also ammo is scarce and if found would be expensive. --This is just my opinion

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/23/03 11:07:34 pm)
    Naw, I'z jes' funnin' ya...I didn't get that .380 either.

See...when I use my .17 I jes' shoots 'em right thru the eye...works like a charm. But I only use that when they's flyin' full speed...

When they land I get 'em wid my .458 (no pellets!) All you gotta do is shoot near 'em and if it don't scare 'em to death, it sucks their brain out as it goes by!!!!

Boom-a-tic

Edited by: boomatic at: 2/23/03 11:07:58 pm

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/24/03 9:54:58 pm)
    20 ga.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/03 8:19:48 am)
    Hey, bestus buddy, sorry ta be late in respondin, but I been kinda busy the last couple'a dayz. Anyhowze, ya uses dat puney .458 ta shoot dem tree rats wif? Man, ya gotta get up ta the times an upgrade to the .577 T'rex. Dat be one potent varmit gitter. One sshot wif dat'one an ya not only sux der brains out, it also guts em an peelz their hides off. Onliest thing ya gotta do fer the pot is cut their heads, tail an feets off afore ya throwz em in. (Ya also get the benefit of havin lots'a firewood cause that 577 T'rex clears out halve of da forest an makes kindlin outta it).

Y'all take care 'n be good now - ya heah!!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 3:10:10 pm)
    12ga. All those tasty specialty munitions.

and did you know cheap boating safety flares are 12ga, too?
    Rich

rayzordot
    (2/27/03 9:21:45 am)
    Reply ...
    16 gage of course!

Rat A Tat SR
    (2/27/03 7:54:21 pm)
    12 is it. From the 1 1/4" Aguila loads to the 3 1/2" MAG. 12 gage is the most versitale commercial shot in the world. Then you got more guns to choose from too.

crazyAZarcher
    (2/28/03 3:00:36 am)
    I have to say it would be my Ithaca 20 ga. semi-auto or my Franchi Hunter 48 12 ga. or my Citori 12 or the Mossberg twenty. I don't really know, I normally take at least two extras on every huntin' trip and decide which one when I'm leaving the truck.

For strictly urban environments my LAW 12 wins hands down,CA
    I got pulled over the other day and the cop asked to see my license, I told him his department needed to get thier act together because they took my license from me over a month ago and now he expects me to show it to him. How stupid can you be?

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 4:49:52 pm)
    Reply license

That's tellin' em'...what's this world comin' to anyway

Welcome to the board Mr. CrazyAZ

Oh, and by the way, how's the food in jail?

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.