The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with a friend today to do some plinking before the rain came in, they are calling for rain and storms over the next two days. I had brought along my Ruger 10/22 which is pretty much stock except for a Tapco stock and an Axeon red dot on it. I have this rifle sighted in at 50 yards. I decided to try my luck/skill at shooting at an 8 inch plate at 100 yards. I was shooting from a bench with no extra support, no bipod, no sand bags etc. I figured that I may be able to hit it once or twice at that distance. I was able to hit the plate clean 6 times with a 7th time catching the edge of the plate out of 10 shots. I felt pretty good about that, I don't consider myself as a sniper or anything, but I feel that I can hold my own. We are hoping to get together more often so we can improve our skills, and hopefully get some of our friends involved too.

·
Premium Member
17,853 Posts
Sounds like good shooting with your friend. I don't think i have shot my 10/22 over 50 yds. Some of my other .22s i have shot at 100 yds and even shot my winchester 63 at 250 yds. But for some reason never shot my 10/22 out to 100 yds. May have to rectify that.:)

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
I had planned on shooting my 22's yesterday but we had a front that came in. Was not cold, still in the 80's but the weather played havoc on my joints. Had my knees, shoulders, hips, wrists and one thumb cussing me out. So decided to take 500 mg of naproxen and started to fight back by walking and lifting weights. Feel great today but will wait until next week when the club is opened to members only. During the week, range is full of first time deer hunters shooting 200 rounds of bullets trying to zero their rifle and not willing to listen. Even saw one person mounted his scope with the windage elevation on top and could not figure out why he could not hit his target.

·
Premium Member
17,853 Posts
I had planned on shooting my 22's yesterday but we had a front that came in. Was not cold, still in the 80's but the weather played havoc on my joints. Had my knees, shoulders, hips, wrists and one thumb cussing me out. So decided to take 500 mg of naproxen and started to fight back by walking and lifting weights. Feel great today but will wait until next week when the club is opened to members only. During the week, range is full of first time deer hunters shooting 200 rounds of bullets trying to zero their rifle and not willing to listen. Even saw one person mounted his scope with the windage elevation on top and could not figure out why he could not hit his target.
With idiots like you see at your range i'm glad i don't hunt in Texas!

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
We have very little public land, where I hunt it is private land mostly friends and family.

Reactions: tedwitt and joe45c

·
Premium Member
19,566 Posts
We shoot clays at 100 yards on our rifle range. On a good day, I can hit them one right after the other with my Ruger American Bolt Action in 22lr. Some of the guys shoot Asprin glued to an 8x11 sheet of paper at 50 yards. That is very hard. I have done it but it's not easy.

·
Premium Member
17,853 Posts
We shoot clays at 100 yards on our rifle range. On a good day, I can hit them one right after the other with my Ruger American Bolt Action in 22lr. Some of the guys shoot Asprin glued to an 8x11 sheet of paper at 50 yards. That is very hard. I have done it but it's not easy.
Man i'd have to have my rifle scoped just to see the pill! No way i could see it with iron sights even in my younger days!

·
9,654 Posts
Lets no stereotype Texans now, just because Mrs. Witt calls me one sometimes doesn't mean I are one.

Can you light matches?

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
Man i'd have to have my rifle scoped just to see the pill! No way i could see it with iron sights even in my younger days!
This is the reason I have my most powerful and expensive scopes mounted on my 22's, so that I can see itty bitty things from a looooong way.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,666 Posts
I have a 8x32-44 scopes on two of my .22’s. No problem hitting aspirins but I haven’t tried lifesavers.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I shot mine this Saturday out to 75m at the guoffolotes, hitting about 70% offhand, with open sights. I think the sights would cover up the borregios at 100m. Great fun, indeed!
Sounds like good shooting with your friend. I don't think i have shot my 10/22 over 50 yds.

I resemble that remark: 🙄
Even saw one person mounted his scope with the windage elevation on top and could not figure out why he could not hit his target.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts