FFL question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by malicousmike, Jan 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. malicousmike

malicousmike New Member

So I'm interested in getting my FFL soon. I'm in the military and my wife and I want to move on base. I'm curious if anyone has had experience with owning an FFL on a military installtion. People tell me not to do it but I really want my FFL. I can't find anything saying I can't do this on base. This would not be for personal gain I actual want to sell firearms legal through my house because when I get out I want to open a gun store. This is to kind of get my toes wet and get a understanding of the business. Most if not all my sales would take place online. I would leave base if necessary to meet clients or to do FFL transfers.

2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I am an FFL and I highly doubt the military would allow any sales on base. In order for you to get your FFL, the base would have to approve your location. I suggest you ask someone. Seems to me you may have to move off base and not into gov housing. I would like to be wrong.

joe45c and malicousmike like this.

3. malicousmike

malicousmike New Member

Thanks that's what I'm guessing but I hope not.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

In about 1990 (+/- a year), I was stationed in Rhode Island, and living in military housing near Quonset Point. I applied for and received my FFL while living there. I did not talk to anyone to get permission to conduct a business in the housing area. I think I was going against regulations by doing that. I actually did not conduct business out of the house, but did have all of the guns delivered there.

You might want to talk to the Provost Martial there at Bragg before conducting a business from your military housing. I have a feeling that you are going to find that the answer is a resounding NO!

joe45c, malicousmike and crystalphoto like this.
  5. Diamondback

Diamondback Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend that you contact the JAG office on your base as to the legality. When I served in the 70's it was illegal for any service man to have a firearm in his place of residence. I strongly suspect that you would not enjoy the hell they would bring down on you for selling firearms on a military base. Wait until you are out and then apply. That way you insure your ability to continue to enjoy and exercise your 2nd Amendment rights and freedom.

6. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, direct competition to the base excange system might be a bone they would pick with you. Another is after a gun sale to a GI, they have typically instruct you that you have an hour to get off base w/ the weapon. GI's in general aren't allowed to carry on base these days or house a weapon on base.

dbcooper, joe45c and malicousmike like this.
  7. malicousmike

malicousmike New Member

I've looked at the maradmin I can own on base and keep it in my residence as long as I register ever one of my firearms. I also have to keep them in a safe unloaded. Yeah honestly I might just move off base so I can get it to avoid all the conflict.

Yeah they would defently get butt hurt about me competing with the MCX.

Yeah I'm going to contact the housing office first see if it's okay with them then ask my future chain of command. Which I'm 90% sure it will be no but maybe I get lucky

8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

When I got mine about 7 years ago they made sure I was the owner of the property and they made sure zoning would allow it and they made me contact and fax over my application to my local Sheriff. Pretty sure if I wasnt the property owner I would have needed signed permission from the owner...the FFL is only good at the approved address and if you plan on moving, you have to have your next location approved....

joe45c and malicousmike like this.
  9. malicousmike

malicousmike New Member

Yeah that's why if I look for house out in town I'm going to ask owners if can. What I've read as long as owners are fine with it and I'm on the lease and zoning laws/ sheriff will permit it I can.

10. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

You're speaking about a private personal firearm??? Things have cahnged since I was in. But as an FFL, that would include numersous weapons oging in/out possibly???

dbcooper likes this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

If you live in family housing, you are allowed to keep your personal weapons in your home as long as the Provost Marshall (MPs) are aware of them. If you are living in a barracks type of place, you are not allowed to keep your personal weapon in your room/locker/whatever, it must be kept in the company arms room.

drymag likes this.
  12. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

With today's laws on firearms on military installations, I can see this going over like a lead balloon. But, I do wish you luck.

malicousmike likes this.
  13. malicousmike

malicousmike New Member

Thanks I've decided if I move on base I'm going to wait on the FFL

14. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

I think that is a wise decision at this time.