FFL Transfer Debacle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ysacres, Jul 23, 2020.

1. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Trying to find a FFL dealer that I like is becoming a monumental task, The guy I thought was going to be OK turns out his hours are Inconsistence. Open 6:00 pm till 8:00 pm sometimes when he wants to be there... OR NOT.
    I had to get nasty with him today and told him to tell me when is he going to be home and what time should I drop by.
    Geez, I cant operate like this, there are two others in my village, and one in the next village down the road that I will give a shot in an attempt to find a FFL holder that I can do business with.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

I guess that I’m lucky in the sense my current FFL is an old high school friend. He’s also a deputy for the county sheriff so the FFL thing is just a side hustle for him. He’s pretty willing to work through schedules to get people their firearms ordered and transferred through his FFL.

3. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wish we had more here on the Peninsula. Only one and he is only available by appointment now.

4. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

I need to make an appointment with my FFL guy as well. And it is because he is also a gunsmith with a small shop and is overwhelmed with customers.

5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Larry don't you have any gun shops in your area?

flboots, ysacres and shootbrownelk like this.
  6. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

My guy is retired and will usually meet me before work, at the ambulance barn (where he volunteers) or at the church. If not, after work at his place :D

7. joe45c

The guy that i use i'm ready to drop cause he won't except a gun(long gun) from a person who is not a FFL. Another ffl i go to will as long as the person sends a copy of their driver licence.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    sharps4590, Broot, accident and 3 others like this.
  8. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I do not Joe, No store fronts anyway, closest one in WA would be 40 miles in Clarkston, we do go there a lot for our shopping (Costco) and the gunsmith I like lives in Lewiston Idaho. :(
    I paused to count the FFL's I know of around my Village and came up with Six. I think I'm going to be hard pressed to find a FFL that is open 9-5
    One is a County Sheriff and I know he's got a side Job.:rotfl:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Any store front dealer is a FFL transfer dealer and can receive guns for you. In fact, I think they are required to offer that service as part of the FFL License. They charge, of course. But some are reasonable.

There is another problem with using an independent transfer dealer: very limited access to distributors. Today, unlike 25 years ago, each FFL dealer has to be setup with every different distributor. The distributors can be and are selective and are not fond of transfer only dealers. So... say you want a particular gun. If the distributor the independent FFL dealer is set up with doesn't have that gun then he may not be able to get it even when you know it is on the marketplace. I gave up using an independent FFL guy when he could not get me a common Ruger because his distributor didn't have it. And he was not all that up to speed on on the laws pertaining to AR's (this was more than 10 years ago). He refused to process a legal AR lower.

Over the years I found a few little store front gun stores willing to be a transfer dealer for a reasonable charge. I bought the guns on line and had them shipped to the gun shop. They transferred ithem to me just as if it was a store stocked item (all laws followed). And these shops had regular hours that they kept.

I had an FFL over 20 years ago and distributors were willing to sell to any FFL holder back then. That is absolutely not the case today.

LDBennett

10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I transfer guns all the time. But the dealer you mention that will not transfer unless it comes from a FFL is doing things the hard way. A long gun can come into a FFL in NY with just a copy of the sellers drivers lic.
    BUT
    It is up to the FFL which way he wants to do it. We are NOT required to do transfers.
    Shop rules are set by the shop NOT the government.
    There are a few around here that will not do transfers due to the PIA that calling in a 4473 has become.
    I have 2 in my shop now that are on a delay and have 3 more coming in hoping they will go thru the back round check with out a delay but a proceed.
    As I said NO ONE can tell a shop that they HAVE to do transfers or how they will do it. Thru a FFL or with a drivers Lic.
    However a pistol HAS to come from a FFL.

jwdurf, joe45c and Broot like this.
  11. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm just curious Mike, when I've had a gun transfered or bought a gun here in GA in the past the background check has never taken more than a few min. I've never had a delay. In your state are the delays and long waits for b-ground checks because of the increase in current gun sales or has the wait always been long there?

jwdurf, Broot and mudman35962 like this.
  12. joe45c

Yep i know that's how he wants to do business so i don't argue with him. If i buy a rifle from a dealer who doesn't have a FFL i just go some place else who will accept the owners drivers lic.. His loss for being stubborn not mine.

BlackEagle likes this.
  13. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is because of the virus. They have decreased there man power to do the checks. And the increase of gun buying.

14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Obviously NY is different from other places. The California Attorney General can tell FFL holders exactly what to do and they do. ALL !!!! guns sold, dealer or private, MUST go through an FFL dealer with all the paperwork, fees, and background checks. Other states and cities have different laws and rules. ALL ammo must be sold through dealers licensed by the state. You end up with every box of ammo you buy registered. You have to purchase a regularly renewable ammo license and passed a background check. You can not import ammo from out of state either.

If you like to shoot don't move to California!!!!!!!

LDBennett

BlackEagle and jwdurf like this.
  15. joe45c

All deals have to go thru a FFL in NY too, LD. The point i brought up was my FFL dealer won't except a gun from a seller unless the seller has a FFL too, or he transfers it to a FFL for shipment. So 2 ffl holders have to be involved. NY law does not require that for long guns. It's just his policy as well as other ffls here. His reason to me was if it comes from a non ffl holder how will he know if it's not a stolen gun. My question to him was how will you know if it's stolen even if it does come from a ffl? He just falls back on that's his policy. So i just have been going to someone else lately.