The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker here with an interesting first post. I recently came across an interesting FI Model D .380 in pristine condition. What makes it interesting is the very low serial number of CPA001967 and the roll marks. I've been reading quite a bit about this little guy, and have learned alot, but I have never seen another Model D with similar rollmarks to mine.
Here's my guess and I want to know what you guys think.

I know that 50-100ish were made for Colt with all the Colt trademarks on them. When the deal fell through some of those were sold off, and some of those were restamped and sold as Model Ds. Every single Model D I have seen uses the FI rollstamp instead of just the FI in regular script.

So I think I got one of the original Colts, but with the original markings covered/restamped.

What do you guys think? Is it just another old Model D or do I have something special?
And of course, here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Very possible. The model is engraved on a pantograph engraver, rather than stamped.
The markings are Spanish proof marks. Don't know what 24D is.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just sold mine with full Colt New Haven markings including rampant colt for $2400. Yours is a run of the mill example worth around $240.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I had one identical to yours, maybe not as good of shape, but I sold it for 250.00. They are nice little pistols.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I love it. It shots great and I can get a six shot group in COM at five yards from the draw in less than 2 seconds. I was just curious about the roll marks. Plus I havent seen any other model d with such a low serial number.

Basically I love it as a shooter and ccw, I just am wondering if it could be something more? Or should I not feel bad jamming it into my pocket/holster daily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts